Going on a break until FM13

I just cant seem to get into this version of the game and play a long term save. I have spent a lot of time reading up on tactics in the tactics forum and how to set up various formations but after about a year the tactic stops working and despite trying to tweak it with various shouts there's just a lack of consistent performances that I have no idea how to sort out every 3/4 games my team just shuts down and does not perform.

To be honest I feel like Ive tried everything to sort the problem but its become more of a chore than something I enjoy doing, its just too frustrating. Im thinking it would be a good idea to take a break from playing because I feel a bit worn down and sapped of enthusiasm.

Anyone else experienced FM fatigue like this?

You could download a tactic. Play with that for a while. May up your enthusiasm and wont feel as wearing without having to tweak it. And you may learn something that can help you in the next version. Top tactics dont have the slump.

You could download a tactic. Play with that for a while. May up your enthusiasm and wont feel as wearing without having to tweak it. And you may learn something that can help you in the next version. Top tactics dont have the slump.

Thanks but I've tried that on another save and after 1 season or so it gets "sussed"- when I say a slump I dont mean a really bad run of form I mean 1 game in every 3 we play badly and the other 2 we play really well. Its really grating with me

think the trick is on this version to learn your team 3 tactics ive got some great saves going with notts co, dominating europe blackpool ripping up prem and also ll game with crewe so i wouldnt rely on 1 tactic train em in 3 and see if that works.

Same here, but it's not only the tactics, I'm fed up with all the talks you have to go through. I know that you can assign your assman to deal with that but when you play at a low level, he isn't a very good assman so I really don't trust him with team talks/press conferences.

Also, when you play at a low level, bigger clubs offer you a contract to manage with them even though you haven't proved yourself yet. It makes it unrealistic and dampens the joy for me as well. I found this was way better in FM11 so I'm going back to that until FM13 is out.

Same here, but it's not only the tactics, I'm fed up with all the talks you have to go through. I know that you can assign your assman to deal with that but when you play at a low level, he isn't a very good assman so I really don't trust him with team talks/press conferences.

Also, when you play at a low level, bigger clubs offer you a contract to manage with them even though you haven't proved yourself yet. It makes it unrealistic and dampens the joy for me as well. I found this was way better in FM11 so I'm going back to that until FM13 is out.

1. Hire a better assistant manager

2. Don't accept job offers

Simples.

I just cant seem to get into this version of the game and play a long term save. I have spent a lot of time reading up on tactics in the tactics forum and how to set up various formations but after about a year the tactic stops working and despite trying to tweak it with various shouts there's just a lack of consistent performances that I have no idea how to sort out every 3/4 games my team just shuts down and does not perform.

To be honest I feel like Ive tried everything to sort the problem but its become more of a chore than something I enjoy doing, its just too frustrating. Im thinking it would be a good idea to take a break from playing because I feel a bit worn down and sapped of enthusiasm.

You can't just create one tactic that wins everything, you need to adjust things for different situations. This lack of consistency probably isn't to do with your tactic suddenly not working, it's because the AI is countering you effectively with a good tactic of it's own.

Just because a particular tactic wins against Barcelona it doesn't mean it will guarantee a win against Bristol City. You need to understand that to win a match it's not just about your tactics but also taking into account those of the opposition.

I also stuggled to get in to FM12 so went back to my FM 11 save. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's just that I couldn't get in to it. I seem to get in to the odd numbered versions, I like FM05, 07, 09 & 11. maybe I should just buy the game every 2 years lol.

Having said that, yesterday I started a new game on FM12 and slowly got in to it, so hopefully I will continue this save untill FM13 comes out.

I just came here to see what FM13 will include, I didn't buy FM2012 because in FM2011 it got even worse than FM2010. I used to like this game until it got too complex, its time consuming to do this and that for every match, the vast amount of tactical options are ridiculous and overwhelming even to someone who has played since CM2, the best FM game has to be FM2007 because it was just right...the 3D engine is good though. All that happens every year is new features get added, but do they try and improve the simplicity of the game as in selecting tactics etc?...no, except the UI.

I play FM on my android device (Galaxy Note) now as its so much simpler.

I just came here to see what FM13 will include, I didn't buy FM2012 because in FM2011 it got even worse than FM2010. I used to like this game until it got too complex, its time consuming to do this and that for every match, the vast amount of tactical options are ridiculous and overwhelming even to someone who has played since CM2, the best FM game has to be FM2007 because it was just right...the 3D engine is good though. All that happens every year is new features get added, but do they try and improve the simplicity of the game as in selecting tactics etc?...no, except the UI.

Whilst I agree it is much more difficult now with the tactics I don't think I could go back and play for example FM 07 now as there are also a lot more features that help you along. A good example for me is the improved coach and scout reports.

I get around the more complicated use of tactics by coming on here and using other people's tactics. Some people may see that as not playing how I should but as long as long as I enjoy it I don't care.

Surely the Tactics Creator has made things much simpler and speedier than the days of FM07 and all the sliders?

the repetitive press conference and the poorly implemented match preparation is such a chore and it sucks the joy out of the game for me like a vacuum cleaner.

i'm still playing FM 2012. but its the first version that i never got deep into the game. always played abit then go on long break and then back again for awhile and long break.

It's got nothing to do with tactics. You can use almost any of the default tactics consistently and be successful. Once you have the right players (of good enough quality for your division) in the right positions you will win most games.

It's all about your players. I only use players that have most of the attributes required for their position.

For example; Attacking midfielder with attack duty should have the following attributes:

First Touch

Long Shots

Passing

Technique

Crossing

Decisions

Flair

Teamwork

Workrate

Balance

For a world class team, these should all be 15+. That's not always possible of course but I try to get as many as I can. Pace and acceleration are also important for any player. I never use a player with pace or acceleration less than 12. If you do this for every player in your team you will be successful no matter system you use. Obviously, you have to adjust these values depending on what league you are in.

But really, it's all about your players. Tactics mean squat.

It would be really nice if these attributes came pre-loaded as player search features in the game and if you had a way to quicky assess a players suitability for the role. At the moment the only way is to put a player into the position and then look at the tactics screen. It can be a bit monotonous.

Lets hear people genuinely admit that the game gets more boring with every FM release because it truly does.

I don't think the game gets more boring with every release. I've bought every release as far back as CM '92 and I'll buy FM2013 when it comes out. That's 21 years of playing the same game consistently (it has evolved and improved throughout the years obviously), I don't think there's any other game out there that has the same appeal.

I do lose interest in the game now and again but then I think of another scenario that I want to play out and I come back for more!

Surely the Tactics Creator has made things much simpler and speedier than the days of FM07 and all the sliders?

I agree - I hardly played FM 2009 as it was such a pain in the backside to move x slider one notch I lost interest. The Tactics Creator saved it for me IMO.

I can't really remember what FM11 match preparation was like, but I do believe I preferred it over this one. It was more cool. One thing that really annoys me about the analysis tab is that you can't set it to a certain time in the match. For example I wanna see how my player passed in the first half or in the last 20 minutes of the match when I went to a counter-attacking mentality. It really really annoys the hell out of me. I like to break down my performance but I need the option to at least view players stats in halves. And no I don't take the long road and view each pass and check the time it was made. I am not that dedicated. Other than that the analysis tab is awesome. I'll expect to see more categories in FM13 though. Like run off the ball/received passes and such.

Agree about the tactics creator. I never liked the sliders and the tactics creator GUI is so much better. It is still primitive though. An example is if I set creative freedom from default to more expressive, my tactics familiarity will go down even if none of my players creative freedom actually change. This is because I have a trequartista and when you use one the other players creative freedom is a lot more set in stone, your treq will influence all the other positions. I hope the tactics familiarity and such becomes a lot more sophisticated.

I've just come out the other side! Been on an FM break for a few months now since my I decided the speed of my PC (or lack of...) was taking away the enjoyment of my games.

New custom-spec PC is finally ordered, built & on it's way to me as I type... and boy after a bit of a break I cannot wait to get a new save going!!

I get this every few months. After a few weeks of not playing it, I'll watch some live footie and be straight back on again.

This! Ill go weeks without playing then i watch a game and the bug is back for another few months. I've played close to 100 years in my two saves on FM12, prob more than any other version i think.

I'm also going through some FM fatigue at the moment. I do have a great career save going but my interest has gradually been declining. Haven't played FM for at least 2 weeks now. It's nothing to do with the save but with FM12 in general.

However, regarding the increased general complexity of FM through the years and those concerned by it, I'd say don't get too worked up about it. In fact, the person who's post I've quoted below has it exactly right. You don't have worry or spend countless hours on perfecting tactics. Just pick a default one that fits your team, or one that you have a personal preference for and go with it. Then simply plug in players that best fit the positions in the tactic. You can win everything under the sun once you have the right players while keeping tactical details to an absolute minimum.

It's got nothing to do with tactics. You can use almost any of the default tactics consistently and be successful. Once you have the right players (of good enough quality for your division) in the right positions you will win most games.

It's all about your players. I only use players that have most of the attributes required for their position.

For example; Attacking midfielder with attack duty should have the following attributes:

First Touch

Long Shots

Passing

Technique

Crossing

Decisions

Flair

Teamwork

Workrate

Balance

For a world class team, these should all be 15+. That's not always possible of course but I try to get as many as I can. Pace and acceleration are also important for any player. I never use a player with pace or acceleration less than 12. If you do this for every player in your team you will be successful no matter system you use. Obviously, you have to adjust these values depending on what league you are in.

But really, it's all about your players. Tactics mean squat.

It would be really nice if these attributes came pre-loaded as player search features in the game and if you had a way to quicky assess a players suitability for the role. At the moment the only way is to put a player into the position and then look at the tactics screen. It can be a bit monotonous.

I play the exact same way. Pick the formation you like, choose philosophy, and strategy, everything else can be left on default. Then I just go hunting for players that best fit the tactic based on key attributes for their respective positions. I never use sideline shouts or make any type of tactical changes, or pay much attention to team talks, or pre-match preparations. That's all you need to do.

Yeah, happened the same to me, but months ago. I used to enjoy FM despite certain -and necessary- difficult, but now it seems you gotta take ages "studying" your rivals and all that, OK it's a simulator but a game too, I cant spend 4 hours to play just a bunch of matches, I guess FM is not for me anymore.

I used to like this game until it got too complex, its time consuming to do this and that for every match, the vast amount of tactical options are ridiculous and overwhelming even to someone who has played since CM2, the best FM game has to be FM2007 because it was just right...the 3D engine is good though. All that happens every year is new features get added, but do they try and improve the simplicity of the game as in selecting tactics etc?...no, except the UI.

100% agree!!! (I play since CM 99-00)

And then you have the different visions...some say that they dont do conferences nor talk to players and win everything, others that they tweak every aspect of the game. Some say that they dont even use shouts and win with simple tactics not caring about the rivals, other makes too complex tactics and tweak every single player. That could mean that you can create your own way, but it offers too many options that in some point become annoying and make you lost. The best example is the tactic creator and the "old" one. I think SI must leave just ONE for FM 2013, but thats just my humble opinion.

Thanks but I've tried that on another save and after 1 season or so it gets "sussed"- when I say a slump I dont mean a really bad run of form I mean 1 game in every 3 we play badly and the other 2 we play really well. Its really grating with me

It happens in real life to, no team can play well every game.

Well, i have to say i never stopped playing until today, i was playing lately as Bristol Rovers in npower league 2, one of the most challenging leagues and i did not ever think about quitting playing. After a lot of effort i finished the 46 matches league in 2nd position and was awarded with an automatic promotion. But not as a champion, so there are still parts of my game to adjust. The secret is that i don't see myself as the best manager ever so FM does not frustrate me, at least not too much. And i keep playing.

I'm having the old fatigue as well. Probably because it's all based around the TC these days rather than Classic and I just prefer classic. Went to Upton Park yesterday and saw Big Sam probably wave his hands at the players probably three times and didn't really notice the Hammers play differently so it's all the TC shouts that baffle me.

In this version I have probably made about 20 tactics. Work fine - patch - stop working.... work fine - second patch - stop working!!! Far from wanting to win every game I just want a little consistency and when I beat Man United away I don't expect to lose at home 3-0 to 18th placed Wigan the following week. I "know" it happens IRL but at times the game seems so random. Players are meant to be seasoned pro's but most of them act like children in FM and it seems you have to do every mortal thing for them.

Went to Upton Park yesterday and saw Big Sam probably wave his hands at the players probably three times and didn't really notice the Hammers play differently so it's all the TC shouts that baffle me.

Pretty obvious that Big Sam has lost the dressing room there.

All you lot with 'FM Fatigue' all play the game on the easiest possible settings, and I dont get this. You start with attribute masking off, first transfer window enabled, ex international past manager experience, you download tactics from the forum, get a list of great players from the forum, use FM scout for regens, and then whinge and moan that the game is too easy!!!!!

All you lot with 'FM Fatigue' all play the game on the easiest possible settings, and I dont get this. You start with attribute masking off, first transfer window enabled, ex international past manager experience, you download tactics from the forum, get a list of great players from the forum, use FM scout for regens, and then whinge and moan that the game is too easy!!!!!

Not me.... Sunday League Manager, rarely check out the players forum, attribute masking on and use my own tactics!!!

Went to Upton Park yesterday and saw Big Sam probably wave his hands at the players probably three times and didn't really notice the Hammers play differently so it's all the TC shouts that baffle me.

Most likely this wasn't the proper match to shout or wave his hands at the players and this is why you didn't really notice the Hammers play differently.

I'm having the old fatigue as well. Probably because it's all based around the TC these days rather than Classic and I just prefer classic. Went to Upton Park yesterday and saw Big Sam probably wave his hands at the players probably three times and didn't really notice the Hammers play differently so it's all the TC shouts that baffle me.

In this version I have probably made about 20 tactics. Work fine - patch - stop working.... work fine - second patch - stop working!!! Far from wanting to win every game I just want a little consistency and when I beat Man United away I don't expect to lose at home 3-0 to 18th placed Wigan the following week. I "know" it happens IRL but at times the game seems so random. Players are meant to be seasoned pro's but most of them act like children in FM and it seems you have to do every mortal thing for them.

Just because he waved his hand, does not meen he was getting them to play diffrent.

He might have wanted them to be abit sharper, or a certain player to get foward more ect.

Surely a Big Sam shout would be pointing to a centre half, miming a kick and then pointing to the sky?

Archived