Tendency to play through one flank.

First and foremost i play a 4-5-1 with both attacking fullbacks and a pair of defensive midfielders, both of these pairs have the exact same instructions and neither of them seem much more attacking-oriented (through PPM's) than the other.

Thing is, in a lot of different matches my team tends to pass more through one side of the pitch than the other and its not always the same side, which brings me to the conclusion that is not my team instructions's fault, but my opponent's.

So i have two questions:

1. Which factors induce my team to exploit a flank more than the other?

2. How can i balance this passing pattern through the entire pitch rather than just through one side?

Thanks in advance.

It's the ME. Just look another way and try to live with it.

Well no, it isn't. Not really a constructive answer.

The opponent's tactics, especially the more astute ones, will try and suppress your strongest flank. Take Arsenal 2000-04: A. Cole, Pires and Henry dominated the left flank of the pitch (not to say the right wasn't strong, just not as prominent). Teams would naturally try and keep that flank under wraps. Restricting space, saturating the side of the pitch to stifle creativity etc so naturally you would find space on the other flank.

In FM terms it might be that your opponents are seeing this kind of pattern and pressing highly/using defensive players on that side to limit space therefore your players would look to the other flank. PPMs are important but it sounds like you have looked at those. Take a look at the individual more - how strong they are on either foot. If they all have a magical right foot but they can't use their left for anything then they will utilise that side of the pitch more - especially if they have low technique or low attributes that would contribute to avoiding the use of using their weaker foot.

It is hard and it might be a ME issue. I think also recognising it is the opponents, as you have done, is important. Scout the matches that you feel typify this problem. Look at their players on the side that you're struggling to utilise and look at their attributes, their average positions. Ask questions like: Are they more defensive than they usually are? Is this FB getting the start against me when their other FB starts more regularly? They will have player selection to counter your threats - especially the more astute computer managers.

Something I love to play around with is mixing the roles. I used to religiously play a symmetrical formation in terms of player roles. My wingers would always be Inside Forwards for example even if that didn't suit their style of play individually. I now, obviously depending on player selection, usually start with an IF on the left and a Winger (support) on the right. Lowering the Winger's mentality means he will drop deep and find himself in a lot of space, especially if the opponent's winger is not tracking back. This will utilise him and if the opponent sees this they will switch defensive emphasis to cover him therefore opening up the other flank for the more directly dangerous Inside Forward to punish.

Also, perhaps look at your player selection. Are your more creative players physically positioned on one side? For example, if you have Xabi Alonso on the CM right side he will look to the AMR and AMC more than the AML just because it is the easier option. Try switching up player position perhaps. There are so many variables. Some screen shots might help if you have the time to post them up. So much great advice from people are on these forums so I'm sure, along with myself, someone will chip in.

Hope that is of some help, I have rambled a wee bit :thup:

I've heard that the players in FM has a strong tendency to pass "cross-body". Since most goalies will be right footed, the left flank will recieve the most passes from GK, and consequently attacks built from the back will predominantely be down the left. That's why I'm currently playing an assymetrical formation designed to drill down left and then switch the ball quickly to an attacker on the right...

So you don't think the left hand side has a freakish gravitation that draws the ball to it?

The 4-4-2, which so many AI teams play, has the more defensive midfielder on the left, which means there will be less space on your right. So your players will naturally tend to move the ball to the left side where the space is when coming out of defense.

The 4-4-2, which so many AI teams play, has the more defensive midfielder on the left, which means there will be less space on your right. So your players will naturally tend to move the ball to the left side where the space is when coming out of defense.

You can't seriously believe this.

You can't seriously believe this.

I'm not sure it's the correct answer, but it's a hell of a lot more believable than your "SI coded the game to play down the left side for ***** and giggles" explanation.

Sounds like a great explanation to me.

GK's do tend to pass and kick left though (again, this isn't freakish coding, just footedness) but, as the OP states that the 'sidedness' thing is not constrained to one side (i.e. some matches it's left, some it's right) the only conclusion is that his team are picking up weaknesses in the opposition and the opposition don't fix that weakness so the bias towards a side remains for the whole game. Perfectly logical.

I play a different sport but if the opposition don't fix a weakness I won't not attack it just to be 'sporting', I'll keep hitting that weakness til they fix it or til it isn't a weakness anymore.

What is wrong with you? Do you ever post anything constructive?

Stopping people from having false beliefs is constructive.

People use so much time to trying to figure out the quite purposely mystified ME...

GK's do tend to pass and kick left though (again, this is freakish coding, just footedness) but, as the OP states that the 'sidedness' thing is not constrained to one side (i.e. some matches it's left, some it's right)

Probably a result of a major tactical change: playing a left-footed keeper / deep-lying midfielder / centre-backs. You can tweak tactics for 30 minutes but player footedness will still make a lot bigger an impact.

I'm not sure it's the correct answer, but it's a hell of a lot more believable than your "SI coded the game to play down the left side for ***** and giggles" explanation.

Please don't put words into my mouth, son. SI didn't code the game to play down the left side but in practice this does happen since the in most situations player footedness plays too big a role. Their bad coding does result in the game played down the left side.

Stopping people from having false beliefs is constructive.

People use so much time to trying to figure out the quite purposely mystified ME...

Except you are wrong, especially in the opening post you posted. The only person spreading false beliefs are you. Now please stop and either put effort into your posts and back it up with evidence or stop posting as you'll recieve a warning. It's all you do thread to thread, enough is enough.

Sounds like a great explanation to me.

GK's do tend to pass and kick left though (again, this is freakish coding, just footedness) but, as the OP states that the 'sidedness' thing is not constrained to one side (i.e. some matches it's left, some it's right) the only conclusion is that his team are picking up weaknesses in the opposition and the opposition don't fix that weakness so the bias towards a side remains for the whole game. Perfectly logical.

I play a different sport but if the opposition don't fix a weakness I won't not attack it just to be 'sporting', I'll keep hitting that weakness til they fix it or til it isn't a weakness anymore.

In some games a player might be less influential than the previous one, so might not do the same kind of passes etc. Some players could be closed down differently. There are many reasons why it can happen it

Maybe I am the worst manager in the game, but this still shouldn't happen. Look at Pinto's distribution under no pressure (1st pic, vs. IFK Mariehamn) and some pressure (2nd pic, vs. Villarreal). There's nothing to tell him to pass it to the left side - except his Right Only footedness of course.

4iyp35.png

34ry6ih.png

Naturally his bad technique makes the issue even clearer, but that seems about 20:1 bias towards the left flank. Vastly more effectual than ANY possible tactical solution one might have.

Look at those horrendous passing charts and try to see where I'm coming from...

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that from them SS it is not conclusive evidence bcos that type of pass distribution could be easily done by instructing the GK to throw/collect to LB/LW. However, I do believe also that the left side is vastly superior :)

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that from them SS it is not conclusive evidence bcos that type of pass distribution could be easily done by instructing the GK to throw/collect to LB/LW. However, I do believe also that the left side is vastly superior :)

I didn't give any such instructions and anyone who instruct their keeper to pass short should see these kind of charts. Besides doesn't defender collect only apply to goal kicks? Most of the passes made by the gk in my screen shots are not goal kicks.

Archived