Is FM2013 even coming out?

As a follower of the FM series since FM2007 I've not missed an edition for five years now, but I'm getting worried that there won't even be an FM2013 game!

It's August, surely it's not too much to expect that you guys would have been publishing some video developer blogs, some news about what new features we are to expect, but looking at the front page of the Sports Interactive site all I see are a bunch of references for 2012 that look like they haven't been updated since the database update for FM2012!

There's a link to something saying "Be the first to see the next Football Manager", but it's not saying "Football Manager 2013", and it really seems a bit late to be dishing out secret, closed BETAs (or similar) when the new PL season is starting now and we're barely a month away from the traditional release dates for this game.

So fill me in, Sports Interactive, are you actually making an FM2013? Can you link me to a video blog or a development site? Are you guys trying to gently hint at and then unveil some 'new take' on the series?

urprobablyright

ps. If there is any one feature I think a new FM game should have it should be form - no FM game has ever been able to capture a fall of form on the scale of Torres' spectacular fail-season, and no FM game has been able to reflect a sudden surge in a player's recognized quality such as that of Leon Britton's, or any of the other stars who burst onto the scene out of nowhere - build in a feature whereby even the biggest stars in the game can suffer from a confidence drop or injury that sets him on a year or two long trough in form that only gets fixed by a transfer to a new club or something!

I agree. I think its far too predictable to recognise player quality in the games.

here’s my idea: Lets say player X has an adaptability stat of say 5/20. His consistency stat is at 12/20. Player X then moves to Club A. Player X has a 25% chance of retaining his maximum consistency stat of 12/20. Sure enough the odds aren’t in his favour and after the move his consistency drops by a random number between 1-6. Sure enough he flops with his consistency dropping to just 6. The club sells the guy on where there is a 25% chance of him retaining his 12/20 consistency. He fails again but this time the random number is just 1. Player A now has a much more favourable consistency of 11.

As a follower of the FM series since FM2007 I've not missed an edition for five years now, but I'm getting worried that there won't even be an FM2013 game!

It's August, surely it's not too much to expect that you guys would have been publishing some video developer blogs, some news about what new features we are to expect, but looking at the front page of the Sports Interactive site all I see are a bunch of references for 2012 that look like they haven't been updated since the database update for FM2012!

There's a link to something saying "Be the first to see the next Football Manager", but it's not saying "Football Manager 2013", and it really seems a bit late to be dishing out secret, closed BETAs (or similar) when the new PL season is starting now and we're barely a month away from the traditional release dates for this game.

So fill me in, Sports Interactive, are you actually making an FM2013? Can you link me to a video blog or a development site? Are you guys trying to gently hint at and then unveil some 'new take' on the series?

urprobablyright

ps. If there is any one feature I think a new FM game should have it should be form - no FM game has ever been able to capture a fall of form on the scale of Torres' spectacular fail-season, and no FM game has been able to reflect a sudden surge in a player's recognized quality such as that of Leon Britton's, or any of the other stars who burst onto the scene out of nowhere - build in a feature whereby even the biggest stars in the game can suffer from a confidence drop or injury that sets him on a year or two long trough in form that only gets fixed by a transfer to a new club or something!

FM is normally released late October / early November, with preview blogs/photos posted a month before release. Far too early at the moment.

Archived