I am playing as Villarreal in la liga and am into my third season. Up to now, I have performed ok getting two 3rd place finishes. I have using this formation for the vast majority of this time.

It was chosen because of the necessity to use my best players in their best positions - the likes of nilmar, rossi, valero, de guzman, cani. However despite the formation performing ok, I

feel that the team has more potential and should be winning games more often and by a bigger margin.

My current front 6 lines up like this:

DM(Def Mid - def)

CM (Ball Winning Mid - def)

AM (Att Mid - Attack) AM (Att Mid - Attack)

CF (Comp Fw - Attack) CF (TM Support)

The main problem is that the front four tend to bunch up on the edge of the penalty area which leaves no room. Games tend to have me with a large possession advantage and shots on target advantage

and then ending in a defeat or a draw. I have tried lowering the mentality of my AMs so that the drop a little deeper but this didnt work (Had them slightly above halfway). I tried to get AMs to"hug touchline" and this too didnt work.

So has anyone any advice for making this formation work? Is there anything I didn't try?

Would be great to get some advice

You probably want to read some of Uncle Sam's threads on the 4-2-2-2 for ideas.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/293315-FM-2012-4-4-2-Box-Midfield-Project

I think the way he plays it with DMs and CMs works better than the pushed up version you're attempting.

Uncle Sam's and this http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/278013-The-4222-Box-Blurring-the-Strata are 2 of my favourite threads ever on these forums, I rate both threads that highly. For info on the 4-2-2-2 you wont find any better elsewhere.

Archived