Is this a joke?

Wolves in the Champions Cup QF. Is this a joke??

Seriously though, your opponents knew they needed a 5 goal win so they went out and got it, fair play to them. Any team that manages to blow such a lead probably got their tactics wrong on the day.

I've seen bigger, on FM12 on my long Chester save I got to the championship play offs and got Blackburn. I lost the first leg 6-1, and my goal came in the last minute!!!! Won the second leg 7-0 though and got through.

The largest turnaround I have had but I had one that was bigger but I fell just 1 goal short, again on 12 with my Chester save. I was in league 2 and was 8th going into the final game, 3 points and 15 goals behind Gillingham, and my final game was away to Gillingham. I thought I had no chance so played a couple of youth players, and by half time I was 5-0 up. Scored early on to make it 6, then got the 7th in the 71st minute, so I'm there thinking its in the bag. Didn't manage the magic 8th though, which was good in the long run as I won league 2 the season after.

I'm pretty sure the game has a built-in fun-making option of users which is just randomly activated in important matches in order to ensure that we don't win too much even thoufg we have vastly superior teams and tactics. Hence the superkeeper issues and stuff.

:rolleyes:

I've seen bigger, on FM12 on my long Chester save I got to the championship play offs and got Blackburn. I lost the first leg 6-1, and my goal came in the last minute!!!! Won the second leg 7-0 though and got through.

The largest turnaround I have had but I had one that was bigger but I fell just 1 goal short, again on 12 with my Chester save. I was in league 2 and was 8th going into the final game, 3 points and 15 goals behind Gillingham, and my final game was away to Gillingham. I thought I had no chance so played a couple of youth players, and by half time I was 5-0 up. Scored early on to make it 6, then got the 7th in the 71st minute, so I'm there thinking its in the bag. Didn't manage the magic 8th though, which was good in the long run as I won league 2 the season after.

Didn't also in an all-AI tie in someone's save Barcelona (!) win 6-1 at home only to be destroyed 11-0 away? Sure to have posted in a thread which was on about that.

edit: There you are

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/310274-Crazy-Results

They even blew a 6-0 home win by losing 2-11 :eek:

I'm pretty sure the game has a built-in fun-making option of users which is just randomly activated in important matches in order to ensure that we don't win too much even thoufg we have vastly superior teams and tactics. Hence the superkeeper issues and stuff.

:rolleyes:

Maybe so haha, but I've only won 3 trophy's in 10 years so I haven't won too much!

I managed a similar thing in getting Wolves in the CL.

Very rare something like that will happen to you on FM but does happen.

I started a save as Scotland manager and despite there horrid position they were in in Qualifying for Euro2012 I managed to get them there after winning a playoff against Portugal after being 3-0 down on Agg from 1st leg. Not quite as bigger turn around as you described in this thread but still a big achievement turning that around against a nation including the likes of Ronaldo.

Sadly though the shoe was on the other foot in the tournement. Opening game of Euro 2012 saw my Scotland side take on one of the host's Ukraine and I was in dream land at half time leading 3-0. Couldnt believe it as on paper I really felt we had a chance getting out the group stages atleast finishing 2nd. We let it slip and drew 3-3. (could have even lost it had a 92nd min Ukraine goal not been ruled out). Was gutted as that result cost us getting through.

After winning 4-1 at the San Siro during the first leg, Milan went to the Estadio Riazor in Spain looking to get into the semifinals of the Champions League over Deportivo. However, Deportivo did not give into the Italian giants and got an early goal in the fifth minute by Walter Pandiani to get them back into the match.

After controlling the game with the early goal, Deportivo was able to get within one goal in the 35th minute off a header by Juan Carlos Valeron. They then took the lead in the match up in the 43rd minute on away goals when Albert Luque scored.

After taking a 3-0 lead into halftime, Deportivo was able to completely shut down the Milan attack and also got a goal in 75th minute by substitute Gonzalez Fran to take a 4-0 lead. This final goal ended up being the game winner.

This win knocked out Milan, who won the Champions League the season before, and Deportivo just barely missed out going to the Champions League final by losing to the eventual winners in Porto.

===================

In the 1984 UEFA Cup, QPR faced off against Partizan with the first leg being on the artificial turf of Loftus Road.

In that first leg, QPR dominated and went on to win by a 6-2 score and appeared that they would make it onto the next round of the UEFA Cup really easily.

However, the Yugoslav side was prepared. It became only the second ever team in UEFA history to come from behind by four goals to advance in any competition, as Mance, Kalicanin, Jesic and Zivkovic were on target for Partizan at Partizan Stadium and Partizan advanced onto the third round against Videoton.

======================

One of the greatest matches in the history of the German Bundesliga, Bayern Munich found themselves behind 3-0 before the end of the first half, and 4-0 just minutes into the second half.

However, Bayern never gave up, and their phenomenal duo of Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Gerd Muller were able to give Bayern Munich a 5-4 lead with 20 minutes remaining.

Bochum came back and were able to tie the game at five with about ten minutes remaining. However, Bayern were not to be denied and they snatched a late winner through Uli Hoeness as time ran out, giving themselves a thrilling 6-5 win.

=======================

After a 3-0 win in the first leg in the UEFA Cup at the Sarria Stadium, it appeared that Espanyol were a lock to win the UEFA Cup. However in the second leg at the BayArena, there was no score nearly an hour into the match and it appeared that Espanyol had won the UEFA Cup.

However in the 57th minute, that all changed when Tita scored and then Falko Götz and Cha Bum-Kun were able to score for Bayer. The game was now tied on aggregate and went onto penalties.

In the penalty shootout, Espanyol took a 2-0 on spot kicks, but Bayer keeper Rüdiger Vollborn stopped the next three penalties. Bayer scored on three consecutive attempts, giving Bayer Levekusen an improbable UEFA Cup title.

=================

In the 1984 European Winners Cup, Metz was paired with Spanish giant FC Barcelona. After a 4-2 loss at home during the first leg, Metz now had travel to the Camp Nou for the second leg, which many expected Barcelona to win easily.

Early on, it appeared so as Lobo Carrasco scored an early goal to put Barcelona up 5-2 on aggregate. However, the French started to come back, as they were able to get a hat trick from Zvonko Kurbos and were able to beat Barcelona by a 4-1 score, and eliminated Barcelona from the tournament on an aggregate score of 6-5.

============

In the 1999 Champions League semifinal, Manchester United faced off against Juventus in a battle of two of the biggest clubs in European football.

In the first leg, Juventus got an away goal and were looking to get to their fourth consecutive Champions League final. They were able to bolster that early at the Stadio Delle Alpi in the second leg, as Filippo Inzaghi scored twice within 11 minutes to give the Zebra's a 3-1 lead on aggregate.

But Man United captain Roy Keane was able to change all of this with a goal off a corner kick. His hard work and determination were key for United, as they were able to get goals from Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole, which gave United a 3-2 lead, which they went on to win by, and were onto their second ever Champions League final.

==============

In the 2005 Champions League final, Liverpool faced off against AC Milan in a battle of two of the biggest football clubs in the world.

In the first minute of the match, Milan captain Paolo Maldini scored off a free kick by Andrea Pirlo and Milan were able to get two more goals by Hernán Crespo to give the Italian giants a 3-0 lead going into halftime, which caused many people that the game was over.

However, Liverpool showed us that night that you could never count them out of anything, as Steven Gerrard, Vladimír Šmicer and Xabi Alonso all scored goals for the Reds within six minutes, rattling the Italian giants and tying the match at three.

After the end of normal time, the game was still tied at three with extra-time now required to find a winner and after no one scored their, penalties would resolve who would win. During the penalties, Jerzy Dudek was able to stop two shots with another one completely missing the net and Liverpool were able to win 3-2 on penalties to win their fifth Champions League title in the Miracle of Istanbul.

=============

In the 1999 UEFA Champions League final, Manchester United faced Bayern Munich in a battle between two European giants.

Early on, Bayern took the lead off a free kick by Mario Basler and dominated the game, but couldn't find a way to beat Man United keeper Peter Schmeichel or any of the woodwork and the game remained tied going into stoppage time.

One minute into stoppage time, United won a corner and Schmeichel came up in what appeared to be United's final chance. But David Beckham's corner resulted in a partial clearance, which led to Ryan Giggs taking a shot that was going wide. But Teddy Sheringham redirected it into the net, tying the game at one.

But United weren't finished, as Ole Gunnar Solskjær won a corner, which was once again taken by Beckham and landed on the foot of Solskær, who kicked the ball into the net, giving Manchester United an improbable 2-1 victory and completing the only English treble to date.

After the game was completed, UEFA president Lennart Johansson stated this memorable quote: "I saw out onto the pitch and I was confused. I thought, it cannot be, the winners are crying and the losers are dancing."

=================

In the 1986 European Cup Quarterfinals, Dynamo Dresden was paired with Bayer Uerdingen in a match up that many expected Dynamo to win.

They proved this in the first leg when they beat Bayer by a 2-0 score. And they were crushing Bayer by a 3-1 scoreline during the second leg but everything was about to change.

It started in the 57th minute, as Wolfgang Funkel converted a controversial penalty, which killed Dynamo's composure. Then, Bayer got two more goals within the next six minutes to tie the game at three.

After a deflected goal and another goal, Bayer and Dynamo were tied at five on aggregate, but Dynamo were still ahead based on away goals. However, they were completely out of sync and allowed two more goals before the end of the game, which ended in a 7-3 win for Bayer Uerdingen and a 7-5 win on aggregate in one of the biggest comebacks in European football history.

============

On December 21, 1957, Charlton Athletic hosted Huddersfield United at the Valley in a Division Two matchup. Early on, Charlton's Derek Ufton dislocated his shoulder in the 17th minute on the Valley's cold pitch, causing him to be taken off but Charlton had no substitutes, causing the Addicks to be down to ten men for the rest of the match.

Huddersfield was able to take advantage of this by scoring two goals before the half. After a goal by Johnny Summers at the beginning of the second half, which cut the deficit in half, Charlton appeared to have a chance at a comeback.

But Huddersfield continued to pile on goals, as it scored three more times and held a 5-1 lead with 28 minutes to go. But both Johnny Ryan and Summers scored within two minutes for Charlton. And Summers then scored two more goals within the next five minutes, tying the game at five with 15 minutes to go.

With nine minutes to go, Summers registered his fifth of the afternoon, giving Charlton a 6-5 lead. However, Huddersfield somehow got a goal out of Stan Howard off a deflected shot with four minutes to go, tying the game at six.

But Charlton Athletic never gave up and in the 89th minute, Ryan was able to convert a Summers cross to give Charlton Athletic an improbable 7-6 victory in the biggest comeback in European football history.

==================

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/296758-ten-greatest-comebacks-wins-in-european-football-history

ok shall we stop demolishing the wolvesnickey or whatever he is called and be nice

Its the title of the thread and the inclusion of blaming SI which has prompted some responses.

Lyon did it to me this year as well.......as Arsenal I was up 3-1 in first leg @ home......lost 4-1 in ET at Stade de Gerland with Lyon scoring in the 88th min and 105th min......brutal

In the early days of European football there was a tie between a Le Chaux de Fonds of Switzerland and the Portuguese Leixoes where the latter were 6-2 down after the first leg but went through after winning the second 5-0. Unusual but not impossible.

===================

In the 1984 UEFA Cup, QPR faced off against Partizan with the first leg being on the artificial turf of Loftus Road.

In that first leg, QPR dominated and went on to win by a 6-2 score and appeared that they would make it onto the next round of the UEFA Cup really easily.

However, the Yugoslav side was prepared. It became only the second ever team in UEFA history to come from behind by four goals to advance in any competition, as Mance, Kalicanin, Jesic and Zivkovic were on target for Partizan at Partizan Stadium and Partizan advanced onto the third round against Videoton.

======================

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/296758-ten-greatest-comebacks-wins-in-european-football-history

The first leg of the game was actually played at Highbury because UEFA wouldn't let QPR play in Europe on the plastic pitch and the second leg loss was definately a manager tactics error. Then R's boss Alan mullary told everyone not to go forward at all as they had such a commanding lead, when Partizan clawed back three goals before half time Gary Waddock tried to push players forward but was substituted for doing so. Partizan equalised on aggregate minutes into the second half and the tie was lost.

Mullary and Simon Stainrod had words on the plane home as Stainrod sat with the supporters with Stainrod telling him he didn't have long for the job. A few weeks later Mullary was history, sacked on a tuesday night after a game at home to Stoke which ironically was a 6-0 win

I've had similar things happen to me - wish I had the screenies to prove it - but I find it annoyingly regular once you make it into comps where there is a 2-leg final.

IRL it happens all the time - team loses 2-0 away and then snags a 3-0 win at home, or loses 1-0 away and wins 2-1 at home, but in FM the margains seem to be more ridiculous. I have won 3-0 AWAY in Europe and then somehow fallen apart 4-0 at my own home stadium - and in both games had the statistical advantage (by a mile).

I understand it CAN happen - and I put up with it to an extent, but it seems like no matter how determined, composed, and "big-game players" your side is, and how terrible the opposition is, there's always a chance that these results will happen.

I think this is where FM falls down sometimes - but these results can and do go your way sometimes.

Come on guys give the chap a break!

I think its quite clear hes saying SI is this a sick joke in a tongue in cheek fashion.

Some People seem way to quick to jump on someones back on this forum. No need. Nothing nice to say then say nothing at all springs to mind. Its a friendly forum for fans of a much loved game after all :)

I beat Man City 5-2 at home in the league cup semi 1st leg. Press conf before the 2nd leg started going on about is motivation going to be a problem after such an easy victory in the 1st leg (despite the fact it's Man City, not Bristol City). Lost 2nd leg 4-0.

Later in the same season, Bayern Munich in CL quarter final, won 3-1 1st leg. Press con before second leg asks exactly the same questions about motivation, lose 5-2.

It's as if once you see questions like that in the press conferences, you know you're going to get hammered.

I have witnessed a result like this before in some of my games where the opponents where able or almost able to turn around a game completely after a good first leg victory for my team.

The reasons for this are imo that your team gets overconfident after the large win and the opponents are extremely motivated.

If the then can get some early goals it is often hard to stop them no matter what you do.

Especially when in my first two CL participation I had went out due to games like that so I guess it's also an experience problem.

The only thing to stop this imo is to "expect a win" no matter how the ratings for the game are.

I beat Man City 5-2 at home in the league cup semi 1st leg. Press conf before the 2nd leg started going on about is motivation going to be a problem after such an easy victory in the 1st leg (despite the fact it's Man City, not Bristol City). Lost 2nd leg 4-0.

Later in the same season, Bayern Munich in CL quarter final, won 3-1 1st leg. Press con before second leg asks exactly the same questions about motivation, lose 5-2.

It's as if once you see questions like that in the press conferences, you know you're going to get hammered.

Maybe you answered the questions wrong and your team became complacent as a result?

Maybe you answered the questions wrong and your team became complacent as a result?

Possibly, what would be the correct option for questions on complacency? Though the fact they're asking about complacency in the first place when you're playing teams like Man City or Bayern is ridiculous. It'd never happen IRL.

Not sure what to answer as I don't do my press conferences!

But complacency can happen against the best teams if you have a 2 or 3 goal cushion.

I've been doing ALL press conferences in all FMs since they were first introduced (can't remember which version). But been seeing a lot of people lately saying they never do them, always send assistant, so I think I'll be doing them from now on as they're so tedious. Especially when you get asked if someone is a great servant to the club as it was their 150th appearance, even though you lost. I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW MANY APPEARANCES SOMEONE HAS MADE WHEN I'VE LOST A GAME!

Archived