Know any teams who play 4-3-1-2?

I have a "big" match coming up in the league against technically superior opposition who play 4-3-1-2 (three central midfielders and an AMC). The calendar has been kind to me in so far as the fixture has fallen just the right side of the winter break, giving me a month to prepare for it.

I've come up with a formation and tactic which I hope will give my team the best chance of success but want to try it out against some teams who play 4-3-1-2 in friendly games. I've been through the tactics screens of all the teams in the leagues which I've loaded and only three Italian teams, namely AC Milan, Palermo and Sampdoria play this at the start of the game. No one plays it in England, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Argentina or Turkey, as far as I can tell.

Milan are too busy, Palermo don't think they'll gain anything by playing me. Sampdoria have agreed, but ideally I'd like to arrange a couple more games before the fixture I'm preparing for. Duisburg in Germany play a similar formation with no width but again are too busy to come and play me!

So the quesiton is - does anyone off the top of their heads know of a team who start the game playing 4-3-1-2? Or a similiar formation with no width in midfield?

It's an "Italian tactic". There should be more of them in Italy than just three, at least after a few seasons when managers have moved about a little. In my current game where I holidayed until 2016 and took control of Roma, maybe half the teams use it.

The 4-3-1-2 is a powerful tactic, one of the better ones used by the AI. It dominates in the midfield with short, quick passing and they draw your defense out of position by sending the full backs forward and the strikers moving out wide. Italian teams also play rather defensively by default, so there isn't much room to exploit between the midfield and defense unlike some other tactics.

If you want to design your match day tactic based on the opposition, I guess the most dangerous players are the attacking midfielder and the full backs. At least that is the case for my 424 Deep tactic. You would probably want to support your full backs so that they aren't alone to handle three players on their own when their full backs are advancing with the ball. Employing at least one defensive midfielder is probably also a good idea.

Its certainly popular in Italy as all narrow tactics tend to be but three could be about right as 4321, 41221, 4132 & 4231 are also popular narrow formations.

In terms of how to counter the threat you mainly have to stick to narrow formations yourself using the fullbacks to give width. You may get some success countering with 41221 (DMC, MC, MC, AML & AMR) but if you want a more even tactic my weapon of choice tended to be 4132 (DMC, MC, MC, MC).

Thanks for the tips, guys. In my game Peterborough have sacked Darren Ferguson and replaced him with Henning Berg, who's got them playing 4-4-2 so no joy there. I'm in season 1 so 4-2-3-1'itis has still taken over the football World, hence it's very difficult to find a 4-3-1-2 team to play against, even in Italy.

Anyway, the tactic I devised was a sort of 5-2-2-1 with a sweeper, two attacking full backs, two DM's and two wingers. The emphasis was on wide play, eg, keeping the ball well away from the centre of the park where the 4-3-1-2 team have concentrated most of their talent.

The game with Sampdoria went well. A 1-1 draw, we led most of the way but conceded the equaliser to a late set piece. Keeping the ball away from the centre worked. Sampdoria didn't have a full strength side out but not a reserve team either, the side they picked was still technically superior to my side - Goztepe of the Turkish First Division - so quite pleased with how things went. I know for sure that I'd be delighted with a 1-1 draw against league leaders Adanaspor, which is the game I'm preparing for.

i use it all the time in FM

like mentioned earlier, a lot of teams use it in Serie A like Chievo, AC milan, and Cagliari (source: http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/serie-a/trainervergleich/wettbewerb_IT1.html)

Serie A uses it because they lack quality wingers. so i use it in FM for the same reason, that is, not having any world class wingers

Archived