Can this be done with fullbacks?

Hi everyone,

Now that we are getting closer to FM13, I'm less inclined to start a long term save so have instead been trying to get my head around the TC and the different styles of play (FM12 is the first version I have played in quite a few, so still learning new possibilities all the time).

In trying to understand the different interactions and styles of play available, I've been trying to emulate real life teams style of play into FM and see how easily I can replicate it. As a City fan, this has also increased my interest in sticking with a City save, as the one negative of being taken over was that it took away the challenge to manage them in FM!

Now, onto what I am trying to do. This season and preseason, we have been increasingly reverting to a 352 (well, more of a 3412) for what are perceived as the tougher games, and still playing with the 442 with Silva and Nasri cutting in against the easier teams. This is not a formation I have ever attempted in FM and I'm intrigued to see how Mancini does with it in real life. In the 442, Yaya stays back, so there are effectively 6 defending and 4 attacking. In the 3412, we sacrifice one forward person (usually silva or nasri) and push Yaya slightly higher.

In both formations, the width is created by the fullbacks, so the 442 effectively becomes 5 attacking, 5 defending and the 3412 either the same or 4 attacking, 6 defending (I hope this is making sense so far!). I have managed to replicate the basic shape for both of the formations quite easily, however the issue I am having is with the fullbacks.

In real life, when either fullback goes forward, the other always stays back, this is the same for both formations, to still allow for stability at the back. In the 3412, the right CD effectively shifts over to RB and the left wing back then creates almost a makeshift back 4 when in possession.

Now, I can get both fullbacks to play as wingbacks, get up and support the attack and get crosses in. What I am unsure of is whether it is possible to make their decisions dependent on each other - so if Clichy for example is up supporting an attack on the left side, Zabaleta stays back on the right. So far, both keep on doing the same thing and so there is vulnerability at the back.

I hope all that makes sense, like I said, I am experimenting with the game at the mo and just trying to work out how far different scenarios can go and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Generally I find that FBs or WBs with Mixed forward runs will only make a run when the ball is in their side of the pitch.

As for the back three shifting, that's not something that's really possible in FM12. And something I'd hope to see coming in future games.

"As for the back three shifting, that's not something that's really possible in FM12. And something I'd hope to see coming in future games."

I didn't think it would be, definitely I'd like to see that in the future.

"Even when setting them as defensive as possible they will be ahead of your centre backs, and thus leaving a big channel open for strikers on the counter. That's the reason why people have been experimenting with wingsweepers"

Wingsweepers? How do you mean?

Wingsweepers? How do you mean?

He means wing-backs dropped back a strata to the horizontal line where a sweeper sits on the tactics screen in FM.

Even when setting them as defensive as possible they will be ahead of your centre backs, and thus leaving a big channel open for strikers on the counter. That's the reason why people have been experimenting with wingsweepers

I have never found this to be a problem, even when my FB's have an attack duty and my CB's defensive

Archived