Will Owen start FM 13 at Stoke or as a free agent?

Since FM 13 starts at the start of this season, surely that means Owen would have to start the game as a free agent as that's what he was? Surely one of the stand out free agents for FM13 if that's the case.

If that's the case, would you take a chance on him if you started at a prem club?

He definitely will be in the game with Stoke. I sent the information needed to complete it on FM this morning lol.

It is currently only a 12 month contract though, so maybe keep your eyes open for FM14 :p

I do think this is where FM deviates from reality a little bit too much. As Owen was a free agent when the season starts, he should be a free agent in the game. Equally, I don't agree with the January transfer patch. That just puts in loads of players at a club in July who weren't there until January which would have made the season very different.

Unless a player is available who will seriously improve the squad, very few teams who are doing well or don't have injury problems buy in January because they're happy with how things are going.

Personally, I'd like to see the January transfers be in place but with the option to cancel them within a week of taking over the club (report in your inbox advising future transfers or similar) if you so choose. I know this is also unrealistic but less so than having a player arrive at your club six months early.

Not sure if I agree with that happening. He was a free agent at the start of the seaon, and that's when the game starts. How can he start the seaon on the game at Stoke when that's not where he was?

Van Persie joined man utd in august while the game starts in july, should he still be at Arsenal when the game starts?

Not sure if I agree with that happening. He was a free agent at the start of the seaon, and that's when the game starts. How can he start the seaon on the game at Stoke when that's not where he was?

Again, do you mean start of the season or end of the window?

If it's start of the season then all transfer activity done in the second half of August would need to be excluded.

This is one of the issues with having the window open still after the season starts. Personally i'd leave any transfers that happened after the start of the FM game untouched and maybe have a click option at the start of the game where the attribute masking tick box is and all that stuff along the lines of "include all transfers completed in July.August" as a another tick box?

here is the thing, most people want to start the game with the teams as of end of transfer window so that is why they have the transfers the way they do. If they didnt they would get so many complaints that Van Persie isnt at United, how is that realistic? or Dempsey still at Fulham, why?

they try and make the game as up to date as humanly possible and that is, IMO, the best way to go about this.

as has been said, this is the issue with the transfer window, all FM are trying to do is the best option which is the current squad at the time game data is locked.

edit: what i would like to have is the option to start the game without a transfer window at the beginning of the game so all squads are the same as the current real life squads at the end of transfer window. only being able to sign free transfers and emergency loans. that would be a better solution for me

But where do you draw the line on international transfers?

Take Nick Montgomery for example. At the start of the English season, he was a Sheffield United player, as he has been for years. On the final day of the English transfer window, Sheffield United released him on a free transfer. On the same day, he was signed by Central Coast Mariners, an Australian team, a full month before their season begins, meaning that NM will be at two different clubs for the start of their seasons.

QWERTYOP - your first reply says that players should be at where they were when the season started - but which season? FM has dozens of start dates available, but we can't have dozens of databases depending on where you start your save.

SteveDM - Good points. I've always felt that January transfers should be set up to go through in January rather than at the start of the season as it does significantly alter how a season evolves for a team. Cancelling an incoming transfer does happen in real life, and so I think your idea to be able to cancel incoming players is worthwhile, but I wouldn't have managers able to cancel outgoing transfers.

I hope that FM introduce the games including as many of the transfers as up-to-date as they possibly can; whether they took place in June, July or August.

Can't see why anyone would want to ignore real life transfers because they hadn't taken place in June!

Ridiculous question. I do however think that with the January patch, the transfers should be set, in game, to complete on the days they were in real life and should be programmed in at the start of a new game, but any funds they use should be taken out of the budget already set. So say city buy someone for 10 mill in January then they should have 10 mill less at the start of he season to account for the transfer. This would provide a more accurate depiction of the first season of a game after real world January.

Has noone played FM before?

It will be as it always is.

So what you're saying is that we should go back to 2D only, fake player names and 100 other things that have been dropped as FM has evolved into the game it is today?

Things change and if a change makes the game more realistic then surely that's a good thing.

Since FM 13 starts at the start of this season, surely that means Owen would have to start the game as a free agent as that's what he was? Surely one of the stand out free agents for FM13 if that's the case.

If that's the case, would you take a chance on him if you started at a prem club?

quite simply he will be at stoke - same as when you have the january transfer window patch the players are at their new clubs from the seasons start

Ridiculous question. I do however think that with the January patch, the transfers should be set, in game, to complete on the days they were in real life and should be programmed in at the start of a new game, but any funds they use should be taken out of the budget already set. So say city buy someone for 10 mill in January then they should have 10 mill less at the start of he season to account for the transfer. This would provide a more accurate depiction of the first season of a game after real world January.

I would definitely prefer this, yes.

In any case, if you mind being allowed to buy players at the start of the game, there is an option to disable the initial transfer window. Use it. :3.

Transfers should be accurate as of the day FM starts.

RVP should still be at Arsenal if the game starts in July. A player should be able to tell the greedy c*** not to sell out.

Same for other transfers.

But the game doesn't always start in July. There are so many different leagues with so many different start dates in the game.

If I choose to play in MLS (which starts in January) do the transfers in January 2012 not take effect then?

@QWERTYOP - If you want the game to be as it was before the season starts, go to the BBC website, and look at all the transfers made after the season started, in your example, Owen to Stoke, and use the data editor to put those players back to where they were, or on the free agents list. There will never be a tick box for such a thing as "Have players at club before transfers in July/August" simply because it would require either a second database or an editor file to run it.

Generally speaking, I like to prefer the way game is when it's released, with all transfers correct up at the time of release or when it's decided no further changes to the database. Its for people like me who like to have a save to take control of Man Utd and feel like SAF for a while having the exact same squad and doing things your way. Would feel pretty pointless to have to go for RVP, Kagawa and the others United signed this summer and waste the transfer budget you're given, when I feel it's there to bring those players that you wished Fergie did sign this summer :D

if owen will be at stoke which was a signing completed after the transfer window shut why then have i bee told in a previous thread that leroy lita will not be at bham city also a signing made after windown shut but on loan can anyome confirm this?

Maybe the Birmingham City researcher handed in his final version of the transfers before this deal went through? Just guessing of course.

Some people do get missed. Think it was Arne Friedrich on FM12 even after updates still appears as a freebie. Dont hold me to that though.

I was thinking the other day about what decent Free transfers there will be on FM13.

Few decent keepers to my knowledge depending what level you like to start at.

David James, Craig Gorgon, Artur Boruc etc....

Then the Golden nugget transfer signing that will be Emile Heskey lol!

it depends if they have locked the database. once locked there is no going back and just wait for the next update. i remember the previous FM the same threads like this and someone mentioned the database has already been locked and its too late. usually happens when release date is imminent.

if owen will be at stoke which was a signing completed after the transfer window shut why then have i bee told in a previous thread that leroy lita will not be at bham city also a signing made after windown shut but on loan can anyome confirm this?

Leroy Lita is only on a three-month loan - FM has never included short term loans in the database.

Because Owen was a free agent. Free agents can join teams on transfers when the window shuts. Short-term loan signings, which is what Lita is. Are never included in FM.

Archived