Why is this defender performing badly?

So i bought a defender for 17m and to be honest he has been at fault for a lot of goals conceded when he plays. A lot of games at about 5.5 rating. These are his stats

He is a CB - covering

Composure - 18

Concentration - 17

Marking - 18

Tackling - 17

Positioning - 17

to me these are perfect stats for a CB also he isnt a slow player 14 on pace. He was performing at an average of 7 + rating per game at his old club.

Anything anyone can suggest?

What's his anticipation and acceleration, these are the 2 key stats for a covering centre back for me (along with positioning)

Also how tall is he (Height & Jumping) and what sort of tactics do you use.

I find DCs struggle with ratings and they suffer badly from making mistakes.

A screenshot would provide further info, and i think there is an image posting thread-somewhere i haven't seen it lately-that can give you instructions in case you need it.

That player is German and is playing on a English club, check the following things:

- if your assistant manager analysis during match, indicates communication problems due language barrier related with Hummels

- Does the scout reports, before hiring the player, indicates on his weakness that Hummels has adaptation problems?

Even when a player has a strong profile, these situations can cause bad performances until he adapts to the new club and country.

Just to explain, CD-Cover is a your last line of defense, therefore he is responsible of covering players that have a good speed/anticipation/off-the ball skill (in other word players that's target for through passes). Having a high acceleration is crucial in addition to anticipation/positioning so he could keep up with the faster opponents. At top level I'd suggest you use acc. 14 or 15 as a minimum for any defender you play as a CD-C. As others have suggested CD-D would be where he's best suited at (he should be partnered with a CD-C though, imo you should always have one CD-C unless you're playing with deep defensive line).

He's not very suited as a CD-X (stopper) either as CD-X cover higher up the field and his job is to intercept high balls or make the tackles on AM/play making forward that's paired with the faster poacher, as most CD-X have slower acceleration, he'll have very little windows of opportunity to make the tackle on his opponent, and if his aggression/bravery is on average side (like your CD is) he'll hesitant on doing that, and once his marked player get passed him chances are he won't be able to catch up to him until the damage's done. So yeah CD-D would be where he best played.

Archived