When the world say's "give up", Hope whispers "try it one more time with youth...."

ri916

230px-Aberystwyth_Town_FC.PNG

Aberystwyth Town F.C. is a football team, playing in the Welsh Premier League.

The club was founded in 1884, and plays at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth, where their ground accommodates 5,000 spectators with 1,002 of that capacity seated.

The team's first choice strip is green shirts with black and white trim, black shorts and socks. The second choice strip is white shirts with green trim, green shorts and socks.

Information

AberystwythInformation_General-1.jpg

AberystwythInformation_Facilities-1.jpg

Database setup

Leagues loaded: Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League

Players of Nationality Welsh loaded

Players from Top clubs in Europe loaded

My Challenge

To test FM12's youth development and dynamic league reputations to the limit and take Aberystwyth as far as I can without signing anyone. The only resources I have are our youth facilities and current players, and I can only sign retired/retiring players as staff. I want to keep this save going until it breaks or I hit a Roof. I don't believe there will be a roof. This save will be all about perseverance and how much I have.

Tagging Players

I will tag players that come through my academy with a YP?? after their name. A player will earn this tag after making their first appearance for the first team.

Manager Profile

My manager is set to sunday league rep and his nationalities are English and Welsh. He has the youngest possible age as I want him to have the longest career possible.

In tough times, I'll listen as hard as I can for hope....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Preseason

Media Prediction: 5th

Expectations: Qualify for Europe

Wage Budget: £2,361

Wage Bill: £ 2,617

Ticket price: £5

Season Ticket Holders: 100

Season Ticket Price: £70

The Tactic I’ll be using for my career.

A 4-4-2 with wingers.

Squad

We have lots of players, but they're mostly rubbish. There is pretty much one decent player to fill each position but we’re a bit stuffed after that. My main problem areas are my full backs and central midfielders, so let’s hope for some of those in the first intake.

Bari Morgan

I saw that he was out for nearly a year and realised what amazing mental stats he had, so I recommended that he became a coach! He obliged, and when I saw his staff attributes I jumped to the contract screen and offered him a very generous amount. He’ll be our fitness coach for a number of years.

Junior Coaching Increased

It’s nice to get these youth upgrades started, even if it is the easiest one to get up.

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-1.jpg

Some nice results in there, especially the draw with Colchester. Surprisingly, of the 9 goals we scored, no one scored more than one goal. That’s what I call sharing them around.

I’m confident going into the season, and I realise that it’s crucial for us to make the top half cut after 22 games if I’m going to fulfill the board’s very optimistic season expectations.

I love youth only and in Wales this is going to be tough so you've got me following. By the way with these challenges you can never hit a roof it just looks like it.

Thanks mate, I don't believe in there being a roof either, let's hope we're right!

August 2011

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-2-1.jpg

A solid start to my reign as Aberystwyth manager. The loss to neath was to be expected, but we were in the match until the last 20 minutes so that was a positive to take from it. We came back though with two romping wins to finish the month with a winning record.

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages.png

We're in a nice position, and already have 2 points on 7th place which is very important.

Player of the month: Lewis Codling get's this having scored 4 goals in 3 games including a hattrick against Newtown. A brilliant month for him.

Aberystwyth are one of the weaker Welsh teams in my experience so it should be a good challenge. It's defintitely possible to get some quality through your acadamy in the WPL but i only managed it after about 10 years of sustained sucess and alot of CL money going into improvements.

A decent start to the campaign! :thup:

Thanks mate :)

ri916, I just remembered that there is a restraint called nation youth rating but Wales probably have a higher one than NI and NIs is pretty low and dafuge managed to created some pretty good regens over in NI.

I've heard of it, is it not dynamic though? tying in with the reputation and such things?

I've heard of it, is it not dynamic though? tying in with the reputation and such things?

I've never tested it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was dynamic but I wouldn't be surprised if it was static but by looking around it looks dynamic in some way and I think it is a very rough template as well.

September 2011

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-3-1.jpg

Such a weird month! It started terribly with the two losses and then ended brilliantly with 3 wins on the bounce.

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-2.png

We're now sitting pretty in fourth with a 5 point advantage over 7th place Port Talbot but well off the title contender's. As I keep saying it's all about finishing in the top half after the first 22 games though, so we need to maintain our point's getting form.

Player of the month: Sean Thornton has backed up his attributes with performances, making 4 assists this month.

October 2011

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-4-1.jpg

It was quite a poor month for us in the league, with us again starting terribly with 2 losses. We turned it around a little with the latter two games, where we took 4 points, but I believe we should have taken all three against Newtown. We had a good win in the cup against Afan Lido, but the kids couldn't hold up against Llanelli so we seem to be going out of that cup.

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-3.png

We've dropped a place and lost most of the advantage we had over 7th but we do still have a game in hand over a couple of teams.

Player of the Month: Sean Thornton wins this again, thanks to 3 assists and a 35 yard free kick this month

League Split Update

November-January

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-5_zps572dbfa8.jpg

I couldn't have asked for a worse run in to the mini winter break. Just 3 wins from 10 and only two points from the last 5 games meant the cup thrashing of a lower team was the highlight of the period. You'd guess that we'd be trying to pull ourselves together and push for the 7th place which would still get us a shot at european football...

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-4_zps5fa16520.png

Unbelievable! Afan Lido had an even worse run in than us and they lost their last game when they needed a win to overtake us after having their game called off. I closed my eyes when I pressed continue and to my delight Port Talbot had beaten them 2-1! We are so fortunate to have got into the top half and garanteed a shot at europe.

I wouldn't agree with some that Aberystwyth are one the weaker sides in the league but this is still a very interesting challenge to take on. In attack, Aber are up there with big three (Neath, TNS and Llanelli) in quality, with Codling, Marsden, Parkinson, Kellaway and especially Thornton having more than enough ability to rip apart most WPL defences. However, their defence is poor apart from McCarten (Barnett's alright, Thomas too) and that's where you may struggle.

Good luck with this.

I wouldn't agree with some that Aberystwyth are one the weaker sides in the league but this is still a very interesting challenge to take on. In attack, Aber are up there with big three (Neath, TNS and Llanelli) in quality, with Codling, Marsden, Parkinson, Kellaway and especially Thornton having more than enough ability to rip apart most WPL defences. However, their defence is poor apart from McCarten (Barnett's alright, Thomas too) and that's where you may struggle.

Good luck with this.

Thanks mate, I completely agree. Aberystywth aren't one of the worst teams, I'd say they are a midtable club and I agree about th defence, it's dire! :D

Tough runs of matches, but still in a decent position.

I still can't believe the luck I've had! to get 6th after that run of form is really pleasing.

You made the cut which all you could ask for at this stage in a season.

I agree, that's all I wanted to do.

Welsh Cup 4th Round

AberystwythvRhayaderInformation_Overview_zps87d6eab6.jpg

A Not so comfortable comfortable win. We dominated possession but it was only an own goal and a penalty that separated the sides.

Unfortunately Codling is out for the rest of the season with personal issues :(

LewisCodlingOverview_Attributes_zps8cf5fead.jpg

Bloody hell, that's unfortunate. From what I remember of the Aber squad, maybe playing Marsden up top on his own and deploying Thornton in the hole may be effective. Good luck with the second half of the season anyway, hope you can sneak your way into Europe :)

Who's Marsden? :D I may switch my tactics round as the championship group phase hasn't gone to plan so far. Thanks.

Sucks that Codling had to leave.

He hasn't left, and I hope to see him back next season, but yes it sucks that he can't play for us atm. He's just learned a ppm as well, so he can train but not play matches? :D

Are you playing with the January transfer update patch then? I play with no transfer updates and Aber have a brilliant target man named John Marsden who tends to move on to a league two or one side after a few seasons. Bet you wish you had him now! :D

That'll be it then as I'm on the latest patch :D You must have been wondering why I wasn't playing him :D

Youth Intake 2012

ri916News_Inbox-2_zpsc9f2a44f.jpg

The 2012 youth intake brought 16 new players to the club, 15 of which were born in Aberystwyth and had Welsh Nationality, and 1 was born in Colchester and had English nationality. 6 Players had 2 star potential ability, 2 players had 2 and a half star potential, 5 players had 3 stars, 1 player had 3 and a half stars, 1 player had 4 and a half stars, and one player had 5 star potential. I can only see one player being useful for us out of this years intake, so I am slightly disappointed about it.

Scott Johnson- He has 4 and a half stars PA but only 4 silver stars for CA. He may be a decent backup squad player in the future for our central midfield that doesn't have much depth at the moment but will probably amount to nothing more as he doesn't have any outstanding attributes.

Dylan Smith- A 5 star PA right midfielder with a single star CA. He looks to be a decent hope for the future but will need to be retrained to AMR if he's going to make an impression on the first team. he has decent physical attributes but again he doesn't have any outstanding attributes.

The update for february and march will be up soon.

February and March 2012

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-6_zpsa9277652.jpg

What a shocking couple of months! 6 losses and only 1 win! We're also out of the cup, which may have been our only realistic chance of european football after a very kind draw which meant the only threat to us should have been Wrexham. March wasn't quite as terrible as February, where we ended our awful run. The only downside was loosing to the unstoppable Neath, who have won the WPL with 4 games to spare. I changed the tactics to drop one of the strikers back to AMC at the end of february and it's helped a little and got Thronton into the game more.

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-5_zpse1ec9e2b.png

If we hadn't made the cut we'd be fighting relegation.

YP induction

Dylan Smith YP01

ri916News_Inbox-4_zps6f3a7757.jpgri916News_Inbox-3_zps40e56461.jpg

Well what a way to mark a debut! The first YP goal of many I hope!

Decent intake but you wouldn't be fighting relegation if you'd made the cut.

Maybe it was a slight exaggeration but we would have been closer to the relegation zone than 7th place if we'd had the same results as we've had in the championship group.

April and May 2012

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-7_zpsb4ca5358.jpg

I know that these games meant nothing but wow! 3 wins in a row and the 7-2 against Lanelli! Dylan Smith YP01 and Thornton both getting hattrick's in that game as well was brilliant. These wins completely changed the morale of the squad and I actually felt hopeful going into the playoffs despite needing another 3 wins in a row to get into europe.

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-6_zps20de0bd2.png

Prestatyn grabbed 2nd and the last guaranteed euro spot. We ran Lanelli close after relatively gaining 10 goal difference on them in one game.

I stuck with the tactic that I mentioned in the last post and it really seems to be working, the only explanation is that it utilises our best player in attack, as Thornton scored 4 goals in the last 3 league games.

The Playoffs

Our preliminary match, to cut 5 teams down to 4, was against 7th placed TNS. I was actually just as worried about them as any of the other sides as they'd really got into form in the relegation group and were on a great winning run.

AberystwythvTNSInformation_Overview_zps92db6584.png

Thankfully we won comfortably, with Thornton grabbing another goal and Thomas also getting on the scoresheet. I was really hopeful now, I wasn't sure if teams outside the WPL were allowed into europe so I thought if we won the next match against Bala then we may have had a spot in europe.

BalavAberystwythInformation_Overview_zps0302dd14.png

What a heartbreaker. They bossed us for the first half and got a well deserved goal but we hit back in the second half and completely dominated them. Unfortunately we couldn't find the winner even in extra time so it went onto penalties. Which is where I realised we only had two players who could take a penalty on the pitch. Surprisingly enough only two players scored a penalty, and Unfortunately Parkinson who had played so well for us, was the one to miss our 5th penalty which put us out.

Player of the Update: Sean Thornton is the best candidate for us with 5 goals in 5 games. He's really shown me what a player he is since the change of tactics.

Season update to follow.

Aberystwyth Town End of Season Update- 2011/12

League table, Positions graph , Squad

We finished 6th in the league, after just scrapping into the top half. But we were out of our depth and never looked like threatening the higher positions. We were knocked out of the European places playoffs in the semi-finals on penalties, which was horrible.

Loosemores League Cup

We got past Afan Lido to set up a tie against Llanelli, who were too strong for us.

Welsh Cup

We negotiated 2 minnows before losing to a third. It was gutting as the team we lost too went on to win the cup.

Key Players

Lewis Codling- He was a clinical striker for us, but missed the run in after being out for personal reasons from February.

Sean Thornton- Easily Our best player. He shined even more after I pushed him forward into the AMC position.

Andy Parkinson- Our excellent left winger provided 10 assists this campaign, which is brilliant but someone with his ability should score more goals.

Dylan Smith YP01- The Young lad has already made an impression with 4 goals in 7 appearances which when you compare it to Parkinson’s 1 goal, who is playing exactly the same role on the other side of the pitch, is brilliant.

You may notice the distinct lack of defenders in the key players section. That’s because none of them deserved it, we only had 7 clean sheets all season.

Season       League           Position            Achievements                 Top Goalscorer (Goals)    Player of the Season  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                        
 2011/12       WPL               6rd        Making the championship group         Sean Thornton (10)          Sean Thornton

Brilliant end to the groups and a decent season to build on. I don't understand the play-offs though, can you explain them to me.

Thanks mate.

I'm just going to go through the whole competition set up, so sorry if you don't need all of this. There are 12 teams in the league, who play eachother home and away in the first phase meaning that everyone plays 22 games in this phase. The league is then split with the top 6 going into the championship group and the bottom six going into the relegation group. The teams in each group will play eachother home and away which means all the teams play a further 10 games. After this phase the final positions in the table are decided, with the bottom two 11th and 12th getting relegated. 1st place qualifies for the champions league and wins the WPL, 2nd place qualifies for the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League. 3rd-7th place (7th place is the team top of the relegation group) go into the playoffs, where they will be fighting it out for one or two europa league spots depending on the winner of the Welsh cup. The first match is like an elimination quarter final, to get the teams down from 5 to 4. 6th place plays 7th place in this match. The winner of this will earn a place in the semi finals playing against 3rd place, while the other semi will see 4th and 5th play eachother. The winners of these matches will play eachother in the final, the winner will have guaranteed themselves a place in europe while the runner up may have got a place if the welsh cup winner was in the top two of the league or played in England (Wrexham or Newport).

Hope that helped :D.

Reputation and Coefficients

Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League- 169th in European Competitions (1 star) – Up 10

Wales- 48th in Uefa Coefficients

Wales- 77th in Fifa World Rankings

Aberystwyth- N/A in Uefa Coefficients

Bangor City- 339th in Uefa Coefficients

TNS- 346th in Uefa Coefficients

Rhyl- 405th in Uefa Coefficients

Llanelli- 410th in Uefa Coefficients

Port Talbot- 455th in Uefa Coefficients

Neath- 456th in Uefa Coefficients

Carmarthen- 462th in Uefa Coefficients

Preseason

Media Prediction: 7th

Expectations: Safe Mid-table finish

Wage Budget: £2,960 (+£599)

Wage Bill: £ 2,287 (£-330)

Ticket price: £5 (-)

Season Ticket Holders: 99 (-1)

Season Ticket Price: £70 (-)

Squad

I’m quite happy with the squad at the moment. Most players either are already good for this level, or have the potential to be good which is brilliant. The defence and especially the full backs are still quite weak, but I think they’re better than last year. We are starting to shape up quite nicely going forward with plenty of potential to improve.

The junior coaching budget has been increased again. This will probably go up every year but I can’t see anything else going up until we get into europe.

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-3_zpsfdf0e707.jpg

We had some very good results in there, especially the draw with Rotherham and the game against Schalke, which saw a capacity crowd and some nice gate receipts for the club. We also avenged our cup defeat to Llandudno with a solid 4-1 win.

Once again I really want us to make the top half cut. I believe we can only be better than last year but it’s crucial to make a good start as 22 games isn’t many and a bad run would see us in the bottom 6. I’m aiming for european qualification this year but it’s nice that the board have taken a little pressure off me by lowering their expectations.

August 2012

AberystwythTownFixtures_Fixtures-4_zps60c8b6eb.jpg

Well I couldn't have asked for a better start. We were expected to beat newly promoted Rhyl and we did, with Codling grabbing a brace. But beating a strong TNS side was a good result, especially keeping a clean sheet. Unfortunately Codling was gone as quickly as he was back, this time out for an injury for 2 months.

CorbettSportsWelshPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-2_zpsff4f22e3.png

Those two wins have put us in 3rd place, thanks to Neath and Carmarthen having a better goal difference.

YP induction

Our second YP has been tagged, I'd like to introduce you to....

Scott Johnson YP02- Our second prospect from the intake, a defence minded MC. We were a bit light in centre midfield so Scott was drafted into the first team squad. He's made a couple of substitute appearances, mainly coming on for players with low fitness as it's the start of the season. I would think he will play less as the better players gain match fitness again but will always be good cover for injuries.

Good start to the season and thanks for the explanation. If you make top three in Euro Coeffecients that play-off would be funny as relegated teams are probably playing for EL spots. It'll be interesting to see how the game reacts to extra European places definitely. Is there a final to the play-off?

Good start to the season and thanks for the explanation. If you make top three in Euro Coeffecients that play-off would be funny as relegated teams are probably playing for EL spots. It'll be interesting to see how the game reacts to extra European places definitely. Is there a final to the play-off?

Yes, there is a final to the playoffs. I assume the game is kind of coded to that the playoffs are kind of deciding the final league positions so the winner of the playoff finishes 3rd in the final standings even if they finished 7th in the league phase, the runner up finishes 4th ect. So the best european place would go to the team that finishes third in the final standings ect. For example, if Wales got 4 champions league spots the two finalists of the playoffs would both get CL spots.

Yes, there is a final to the playoffs. I assume the game is kind of coded to that the playoffs are kind of deciding the final league positions so the winner of the playoff finishes 3rd in the final standings even if they finished 7th in the league phase, the runner up finishes 4th ect. So the best european place would go to the team that finishes third in the final standings ect. For example, if Wales got 4 champions league spots the two finalists of the playoffs would both get CL spots.

Thanks, Wales is more confusing than I imagined.

Archived