Benefits of pre-ordering from Steam?

mark b

Just a quick question to those who normally pre-order their game on Steam, just how does this work, and what, if any, are the main benefits, as opposed to buying a boxed retail version, which is what I have done for the past few years.

Also, can someone from SI please confirm that if myself and my brother have seperate STEAM accounts, then we will need to purchase seperate copies of the game, like last year? Many thanks!

The pre-loading is probably the main benefit, with it downloading 24 hours before release so you can get started on the 'official release date/time'. There's also the added benefit of Steam downloading new patches straight away, so you don't have to do it manually.

I'm hoping that FM13 is put on Steam Workshop, to help with downloading editor files etc.

The pre-loading is probably the main benefit, with it downloading 24 hours before release so you can get started on the 'official release date/time'.

The only problem with that is there is always a release day patch which will no doubt not be available straight away.

I do like using steam though, it's just a pity you don't get the financial incentives that you get with the boxed version from retailers.

The only benefit is pre-loading, but:

1. The minutes you'll save from installing/downloading aren't worth the 30 EUR (in my case)

2. You can buy a key much cheaper elsewhere. Third party stores usually get the keys something like a day ahead of release. Add the key to Steam and pre-load.

In any case, it is never a good deal to buy at full Steam price. Better check here.

Archived