Do you ever have a season that is inexplicably bad?

haz32

I've been playing as Aberdeen for several seasons now, building up a team that can challenge the Old Firm and even go on a bit of a run in the Europa League pretty consistently.

However last season we were consistently awful, players who were quality in previous seasons played like they'd never seen a football before. I was expected to challenge for the title but finished in the bottom 6, and was knocked out early on in Europe and domestic cups. Only a few big victories at the end of the season (after there was nothing left to play for) saved my job.

Cut to next season- with no major signings- and I'm back where I ought to be, challenging for the title.

So has anyone else experienced such a one-off terrible season? I know it happens the other way sometimes!

I´ve had this happening a couple of times. Once I had a save where I played with with Real Madrid and the team ended up 3rd in the end. But it was in season 22/23 and I guess the team was not in tune a lot. Mostly because I got used to sign a lot of new players each season and the new players needed some time to come into the team. Of course the next season I won the league again.

Why? You reckon that the first game is determining the rest of the season too much by having too much influence on team morale?

That is my experience yes. If you lose the opening match of the season you are struggling uphill, while if you win the first match you are on your way into a spell of good form. Without collecting data this is also my impression when looking at AI seasons.

I had a terrible season but it wasn't completely inexplicable. Was using Fiorentina and bought 3 flairy inconsistent type players who can be magical, Douglas Costa being one of them while the other 2 are fairly unknowns. Ljajic who was already on the team another inconsistent player. I think Ljajic scored something like 23 goals from the right wing in my first season and we pipped Internazionale on the last day. Was 1 point ahead and Inter were playing a relegation team. Meant we had to win but we didn't, only managing a draw. Inter somehow lost though against the already relegated team and we won the league. Next season all my unprofessional players thought they were rock stars and started playing like crap. Worst season I have experienced in contrast to the amazing first season which is probably my most proudest win. Not in terms of difficulty as I have won leagues with worse teams but we actually played amazing football and was leaking goals like goal differences didn't exist. Played a 4-2-4. Or 442 with advanced wingers.

I was winning a lot, finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd for about 10 seasons. Then one season I struggled to get Euro place, never mind a champions league place. It was last day of the season and I needed to win. In that game I had two players sent off and 4 injured. I managed to scrape a 1-0 win.

That is my experience yes. If you lose the opening match of the season you are struggling uphill, while if you win the first match you are on your way into a spell of good form. Without collecting data this is also my impression when looking at AI seasons.

The issue of club "form" has a lot to do with the fact that fixture lists aren't randomized for each individual club as they are in most top level football leagues. Rather, each club plays the same clubs in the exact same order meaning that clubs that always play opposition that just played a weak team (and thus, likely won and have good morale) will have a harder time than clubs that always play opposition that just played a strong team (and thus, likely lost and have poor morale).

Archived