Is there a way of leaving your club without the board feeling it as betrayal.

I´m kind of new in these forums so sorry if this has been posted before.

In all of my saves I have always had a problem, it evolves around me leaving my current club for my new club. When I go out and say that I have got an interest in joining another club, my old club always felt it as I was betraying them. Of course IRL managers change clubs without the ill feeling from your previous boardroom as if you are managing a lower reputation club then you would want to move on to a bigger one. That´s the main problem. But I would also like to see it implemented in FM13 that you can leave a big club for another big club, claiming that you needed either a new challenge to your old boardroom. Or that you felt too much love your new club, that you could not resist the offer. And at the same time tell your old boardroom that you would like to return in the future.

I found that accepting or applying for a position at a different club WHILE YOU ARE STILL EMPLOYED always ends up with your previous board feeling unhappy. Resign first, then apply for the new club and you'll likely get offered the job while keeping your "legend" status (or whatever status you have) at your former club.

I don't apply to job if I'am employed. I there some rumors about the interest of other club, I refuse to comment. I just wait for offer and them I decide if stay or if I go.

On every situation that I apply to job when training other team, I lost my job or I have to apologize to not be fired.

I think that behavior is correct, because on real situation any club will be unhappy their manager show interest on other club.

It depends - if a top 6 Premier League manager left for another top 6 club, the board and fans would be annoyed. Why would the manager go somewhere else when he could arguably try to achieve the same thing at his current club?

Same if you dropped a level.

I don't know how FM responds to managers leaving for high-profile jobs in another country - my assumption would be well given the number of managers re-hired on my career save - and maybe this is something?

I can say that if you're moving lower rep to higher rep, the board is already cool with that.

I feel that a manager should be able to announce a move at the end of his current contract, some months before it runs out. In this way he should be able to apply for other jobs that start at the end of his contract without any hassle from board or fans. Clubs that are not able or willing to pay a release fee might be interested in signing that manager at the end of his contract, so there would be more interest signing him.

On the other hand, I feel that clubs may also indicate to let a manager go at the end of his contract some months previous. So not firing him, but just not renewing his contract (due to poor results or things not working out, time for a fresh face, different approach etc). In that way that manager can start a search for a new job while employed and try to flow into a new job directly after his contract runs out.

A thing FM doesnt handle very well in my opinion: Managers, jobs and contracts.

It seems a human manager can stay at a club forever If he chooses to, unless he gets relegated. That's not a very common thing to happen IRL, Ferguson, Wenger and Guy Roux are the exeptions to a rule FM doesn't seem to take seriously. Maybe this only happens to me as I always start in lower league where expectations aren't very high, but still..

It depends if all your saves are short periods of years then you should try to find every possible way to show the same commitment that you are expecting from your previous club. In a long term save there are additional factors that your old boardroom should appreciate

Quick question though people....have you ever just let your contract run out? for example as a player they would stick around for a short while on a roaming contract? iirc and then just leave.

As a manager would you just automatically leave at the expiration of your contract? Ive left it till the last few weeks to see if something else came up but never let it run out.

Quick question though people....have you ever just let your contract run out? for example as a player they would stick around for a short while on a roaming contract? iirc and then just leave.

As a manager would you just automatically leave at the expiration of your contract? Ive left it till the last few weeks to see if something else came up but never let it run out.

I did this on my previous save and literally the day after your contract ends you are out the door.

I actually desovered a bug in this way: I was at an argentine 2nd div club and wanted to delay my renewal until the last day of the season (to which the board agreed) because I was ready for a new challenge but made it to promotion play offs (and promotion would be a reason to stay). It turned out the promotion playoffs (end of season) took place after my contract had expired. So the contract I negotiated when I got there (probably running until june 30th, well within reach of the end of the regular season) didn't run long enough to include the playoffs, and therefore did not reach the end of the season as FM saw it. Slam bam and I was without a job, despite the fact the club wanted to keep me I couldn't get it back as they probably thought I walked out of them... So no, no roaming on a contract.

Question back at you guys. Have you ever been not-offered to renew your contract? I have actually never in 10 years of FM been forced to leave a club because of the club not being willing to offer me a new contract. Seems like a commonly happening thing to me in real life, but doesn't seem possible in FM. "Sorry lad, it's just not working out. Not to the extent that we want to fire you, but we just want a fresh face handling things next season".

In my current game on FM12 I started as Nacional Madeira. I overachieved with them with good performances in the league and europa league for two seasons. Sporting Lisbon then had their manager resign to take over another job and the media linked me to the position. I applied for the sporting job even though I was still employed by Madeira and had a month earlier signed a new 4 year deal.

The Madeira board didnt complain that i had applied, nothing was said by them. Sporting offered me the job and I accepted. I feel like I left Madeira with everything okay between me and the board.

Archived