I am outraged!

Not struggling financially - spending only 500K out of my 700K wage budget. Annoyingly, I could have got 14M for my current first choice LB but thought I would wait till the summer before cashing in on him. Why didn't the board make me take that offer?

Still at Porto at the end of the season and clinched the league title for the 3rd season in a row. Also won the League Cup and about to play in the Taca De Portugal final. My LB got injured so had to play my 17 year old (who is supposed to be very good - Man Utd & Barcelona have both bidded for him).

Guess I'll stick it out despite my 'disappointment'. Mentioned in a press conference that the Chairman and I were barely speaking...:)

What you can do to avoid such things is setting an extremely high asking price for your player. That will keep other clubs from taking such a big interest in your players.

If you set the asking price for a 6m player to say, 50 million, must clubs will stay away from him.

Happened to me once. Luckily it was a bid that I wouldn't reject myself so...

But you should write in the wishlist thread about the feature that enables you to talk with your chairman in situations like this.

if you really want to keep the player, offer him out for 0. 20-30 clubs make bid for the player and he chooses one of them, then just reject the transfer after he has agreed to the move.

or just make your player an offer he can't refuse. if you have a good relationship with the player, then he obviously will stick with you.

Or save your money and follow post #6. ( I just set all the players I want to keep at 100 million asking price and never respond to transfer gossip concerning those players.

It doesn't matter when chairman has already accepted the offer, though. In order to avoid such offers you are right, but if you don't want him to leave, post #9 could be a good trick.

I certainly would not call it cheating. When the game has such constraints on how to deal with certain events,my ou manage it within the game mechanics.

If SI introduce boards to negotiate offers and transfers, then they must also be ways for the manager to manage the situation.

Agreed. Any top rated players and youngsters I have at any given club go hands off and 50 mil. How that can be construed as cheating is beyond me. Imagine what the price for Messi would be, not that the Barca board would risk that without the city rioting as a response.

It is blatantly cheating

You are deliberately preventing offers from coming in that in AI to AI deals or AI to non-cheating human deals would be automatically accepted

Well if your'd not be willing to sell the paly for any less than €50 million then its only realistic.

Also for OP, IRL he'd have said to the board "Listen, how about we sell this left back for €14 million and keep onto this guy, this young and have a great future with us"...but in the game you can't actually do this

In my opinion it's no different than the AI setting high prices for their top players. If I think my star striker is not available unless someone puts a stupid £60 million bid in then I set his asking price to £60 million.

Don't turn this thread into a petty argument or it will be closed.

It's not actually cheating. A manager does not actually stick a post-it note on the player's forehead detailing their selling price. In fact, I don't think many clubs actually set a public selling price (unless transfer listed, of course) on their players, although they may have one internally ("every player has their price").

If you own a house and are not actively looking to sell it, and suddenly you perceive the price of the house to become higher (i.e. they are building something nearby that you'd love to have nearby), the world outside doesn't see that price jump. It's "internal" to you.

Setting the selling price, therefore, shouldn't be a cheat (although it might well be in practice in-game because the AI uses it).

In past FMs, you could go the more unusual route of setting the selling price to £0 and automatically rejecting all the offers. Since the price is £0, every club will bid £0, so the chairman will never go over your head (since £0 is never "too good to turn down"), and I've noticed the player never gets upset on rejection (maybe because the price is low). So this guarantees chairmen don't interfere, if perhaps at the expense of a slightly-more unsettled player (due to the large level of interest) and more emails than necessary. You could try this in FM12.

But you are the only manager, you don't get a say in this! So no, it isn't at all realistic!

FFS if you're going to cheat, at least own up!

It's not cheating, setting a price you are willing to accept is part of the game, even if it was he is able to do as he wishes with his own game and your comments are irrelevant.

Interesting stuff this :) FWIW, I don't think it's cheating to set high asking prices (setting zero asking price is definitely a little iffy though!). As others have said the real problem is that there is no mechanism for the board to interact with the human manager before accepting the high offer. Post # 9 said make the player an offer he couldn't refuse. But in this case the first I knew there was a bid was the chairmans message accepting it. I didn't have the opportunity to reject or accept the offer myself.

Interesting stuff this :) FWIW, I don't think it's cheating to set high asking prices (setting zero asking price is definitely a little iffy though!). As others have said the real problem is that there is no mechanism for the board to interact with the human manager before accepting the high offer. Post # 9 said make the player an offer he couldn't refuse. But in this case the first I knew there was a bid was the chairmans message accepting it. I didn't have the opportunity to reject or accept the offer myself.

I think he meant offer him a new lucrative contract so he decides to stay with you as opposed to moving.

I think he meant offer him a new lucrative contract so he decides to stay with you as opposed to moving.

Yes I realise that but how would I know to do that if no offer had yet been made for the player? Once the chairman has accepted the offer it's too late to do that.

Not sure how anyone can say this is cheating.

Even in real life this is truly possible,take any really good player,his club does not want to sell him but if some club comes in with a crazy bid then they will accept it.

I put any of my gem players up to anywhere up to 60 million,in real life they would just state he is not for sale at any price,I would love that option in the game,to set his transfer price to "not for sale at any price",then as in real life if a club came in with a crazy over the top bid then either I or the board would accept it.

This option is not in the game so the only option is to place him at 60 million+

setting a player to £50 million to stop any bids is just the equivalent of a IRL manager saying in the press that it would take 'silly money' for you to buy a player.... they never say never, as they know every player has his price, but always always always say 'silly money' or that the player won't go for anything other than an astronomical amount...

that's what the set asking price feature is for... you know.... setting a price you would accept for a player.. the clue is in the name?

Yes I realise that but how would I know to do that if no offer had yet been made for the player? Once the chairman has accepted the offer it's too late to do that.

No, it's not. The player will then make a decision between the two contract offers he has on the table. If he accepts yours then the other club's transfer bid is obsolete.

It would also not be too late to ofefr the player out for nothing, which I agree is a bit itchy, but then again it just serves to counter something as itchy.

The only thing for which it is too late is to set a high asking price.

It is not cheating to set the asking price high in order to scare off bids. It is only fair, considering the way the AI behaves in the transfer market.

If you haven't set an asking price, you will get bids matching the base value.

If they haven't set an asking price, your bid matching base value will be rejected with no further comment.

And so will I.

If I bid £10m for an important first team player whose base value is 5m, they might respond with a £25m counter-offer if I'm lucky. This is the same as setting the asking price for this guy to 25m. It is not intended to be the actual sale value of the player, but if someone is crazy enough to pay that everyone's happy.

So in other words, if it was my player I would have set his asking price to 25m. I would probably sell him for 15-20. It is not my problem that the AI doesn't understand how this works. I do exactly the same as the AI does, following the exact same rules of engagement - only thing is that I am better at it than they are, so if I have to pay 15m for a first-teamer, they will have to pay 30 for one of mine since I have every intention of making money on each player. It is not my problem that the AI isn't interested in paying what it takes to sign quality.

you guys shouldnt see a very high price setting of a player as "cheating", if you put the asking price for a player to 100 million, its the same as saying "hes not for sale", i dont understand how people come up with that being cheating

Because they like to sound all high and mighty.

Archived