Inside forwards

I have yet to see a scout or coach say that a player operates best as an inside forward. Do they even exist? If they do, please let me know who they are. I've searched using the recommended attributes and had my 20 Judge Ability scouts/coaches give me a report on them, but none of them operate best as an inside forward

I'm sure I've seen a few wingers with "Inside Forward" reported as their best role. I can't access my game right now to give you any examples though.

On the other hand, I have come across very many right-footed "natural left wingers" with no positional ability on the right-wing.

I'm a bit confused about inside forwards tbh: how is a right-footed right winger a natural at playing in AMR with inside forward duties? And furthermore, how is the same player then ineffectual at AML as an inside forward?

:S

That's confusing as well, where did you get that example from Orange? If he's right footed playing AMR naturally he shouldn't have inside forward duties unless he has also a good left foot, but then again he should be also ok after training playing as AML, it might have to do with their PPM's

Schurle is an example of a aml inside forward, he has ok finishing attributes, he's right footed but he plays on the left.

They are less effective on the wrong side because of the foot they use to shoot, as a winger if they play left they should have a better left foot, but if they play as inside forwards they should have the right one otherwise when cutting inside they would rarely have a good angle with the left foot.

i'm sure i've seen a few wingers with "inside forward" reported as their best role. I can't access my game right now to give you any examples though.

Disappointing, but I understand. Good to know they exist though.

on the other hand, i have come across very many right-footed "natural left wingers" with no positional ability on the right-wing.

I'm a bit confused about inside forwards tbh:

Yeah, Eden Hazard comes to mind.

How is a right-footed right winger a natural at playing in amr with inside forward duties? And furthermore, how is the same player then ineffectual at aml as an inside forward?

It sure makes me wonder as well. Yeah, as a former researcher, it's these little blips that eat at me, because I was very meticulous with my work.

Schurle is an example of a aml inside forward, he has ok finishing attributes, he's right footed but he plays on the left.

Oh, I'm aware of players that will succeed at playing as inside forwards, but when I scout André Schürrle, his report doesn't come up as one that operates best as an inside forward. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Hulk and others when viewed in reports by scouts/coaches with 20 judging ability, it does not say 'operates best as an inside forward.' Every other role does appear when scouting other players at various positions, but 'inside forward' seems to be missing from my scouts/coaches. I just don't understand why . . . it's like they don't exist(inside forwards), according to my scouts/coaches.

The Inside Forward tbh isn't a role players are naturally selected at.

Maybe with the rise of the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 in the future players may be considered an Inside Forward as opposed to a full on striker or a winger, but right now you have two ways of creating them.

Remember that Inside Forwards will be set to 'cut inside' to shoot, instead of hugging the touchline to put in crosses (that's a generic winger).

Here is how I find/create an inside forward.

It doesn't matter if they are a winger or a striker. Either one can convert fine.

The main attributes you need are Pace, Dribbling, Off The Ball, Finishing.

Those are the big 4. Basically you need a player that would be considered a poacher, or in out of game terms, a 'trap breaker'.

Then train them on the opposite side to their natural foot. So a left footer would become an AMR. A right footer becomes and AML.

Training them in a schedule that revolves around:

Aerobic (Pace).

Ball Control (Dribbling).

Tactics (Off The Ball).

Shooting (Finishing).

Very minimal strength, no defending (yes you'll sacrifice their ability off the ball but for the most part this isn't an issue as an Inside Forward will need to be set to man-mark their full backs which is one of the easier defensive roles on a team.

The role the ass man tells you is just him averaging what the game displays as key attributes for the role and picking the highest. It's kind of rare (and not completely necessary IMO) to have all the key attributes for inside forward to be high on an AML/R, and even those who do often are natural strikers and so will be rated as a striker role anyway. So don't read too much into the role the ass man suggests for a player, use your own judgement.

As for key stats, in addition to what davidbowie lists, don't overlook flair. Having flair is what lets the inside forward use his pace and dribbling to take on the defense and slam it home rather than deciding to try something more boring. High flair players have been way more effective than low flair ones as inside forwards for me.

As far as footedness goes, it's way over rated. Good players will find a way to get on their preferred foot, bad players wont even get themselves in position to have that chance. I spent ages trying to recruit/train lefties to play AMR, and honestly it was a waste of time, the righties I had who were better players did better. Don't stress not being able to find a player who will play on the opposite wing to their preferred foot, chase the best players you can get and they'll serve you well.

The best role on scout report is just a preference and doesn't mean that the player will perform worst with a different role. I have a situation that a coach says that the best role is Deep Lying Playmaker and other coach saying that the best role is Ball Winning Midfielder, for the same player.

I think an inside forward are what the football pundits call 'inverted wingers' these days. Basically, if you are a winger or a forward and likes to cut inside to your favorite foot and shoot, you are essentially playing as an inside forward.

Ashley Young and Arjen Robben springs into mind.

The best role on scout report is just a preference and doesn't mean that the player will perform worst with a different role. I have a situation that a coach says that the best role is Deep Lying Playmaker and other coach saying that the best role is Ball Winning Midfielder, for the same player.

Oh, I know, I'm just trying to utilize the staff more in a more 'simulation style' type of game, if that makes sense. Normally, I choose everything and only utilize my staff for specific tasks(scouting, etc). Now, I'm trying to see what else they can be useful for(I'm trying new things - exploring the game - which led me to this discovery, that they aren't really recognized).

When I search for strikers and wingers for my 424 tactic, I end up signing AMC's a lot, and retraining them. Since Finishing is not a primary attribute for any of them (at least not in my tactic), but Creativity is, I have found that strikers and wingers that are not also AMC's tend to have -very- low football intelligence as years go by. I like to search for players that are rare types, and in FM, when regens kick in, those are Creativity, Decisions, Composure, Concentration, Anticipation, Bravery, Aggression, Team work. If you can find players that are good at all of those you have found a gem.

Since I know what my players should have of attributes, I never check what the scout and assistant recommend. As I have suggested above, maybe the scouts' inability to find "inside forwards" come from the fact that the attribute combination necessary is extremely rare after a few years, and/or that another very similar player type takes presedence? Ronaldo and Robben are so good players attribute-wise that they can well be inside forwards AND "flamboyant winger" (or whatever) but the latter takes presedence.

I'm sure I've seen a few wingers with "Inside Forward" reported as their best role. I can't access my game right now to give you any examples though.

On the other hand, I have come across very many right-footed "natural left wingers" with no positional ability on the right-wing.

I'm a bit confused about inside forwards tbh: how is a right-footed right winger a natural at playing in AMR with inside forward duties? And furthermore, how is the same player then ineffectual at AML as an inside forward?

:S

The right-footed left wingers are like right footed left backs, they're natural on the left because that's where they've been used in their youth as there's a natural lack of left footed players (people). Ashley Young is a good example of a right footed left winger who crosses with the outside of his right foot to get the same type of curve a left footed cross would do.

As for your second point. United first started to use Ronaldo as an Inside Forward instead of a right winger and he would have issues when moved onto the left. It's only really after moving to Madrid and almost always being used on the left that he has gotten comfortable with that position. A right footed player cutting in on the right needs a completely different type of technique to strike the ball than he would if he was on the left cutting in. Think about Henry's many Arsenal goals and they're all the same, the body opens up and he side foots it curling around the 'keeper. A right footed, right sided inside forward (or even a left footed left sided one) can't open his body in the same way and so has to strike the ball more like a central striker.

I have yet to see a scout or coach say that a player operates best as an inside forward. Do they even exist? If they do, please let me know who they are. I've searched using the recommended attributes and had my 20 Judge Ability scouts/coaches give me a report on them, but none of them operate best as an inside forward

I wouldn't pay much attention to the recommended role reports. In fact, I would hazard a not at all hazardous guess and say the answer to this is probably very simple - the "recommended" role is simply a result of somehow adding up or checking particular attributes and, since an AMRL even particularly suited for the IF role is usually going to have good speed and off the ball and technique - or whatever the recomended role attributes for a winger (as opposed to an IF) are - the game will say "yep, this guy ticks all the boxes of a winger" and recommend that as a result. I suppose to avoid this, and to trigger the IF recommendation, a player would have to have a low... whatever recommended attribute(s) a winger does have but IF doesn't, which as I said won't be the case for that many players - winger types will always set off the 'you're a winger, Harry!' recommendation, and I think IF/striker types will also have a striker position, resulting in a recommended role up front.

Archived