online carreer, is it possible.?

greco

i´ve never done it or even sought out to do it, but as my old fm buddy has moved to another city, we were looking into starting a game online, if thats possible.?

im not looking to join a clan or network to play against some unknown person, just straight up beat my mate in fm :)

It is possible but usually there is a lag of 10-20 seconds for the player who has joined the game. FM13 though has looked at this side of the game and when its released you will be able to play with mates through Steam. So I would say give it a miss till the new FM then you should be good to go, hopefully.

from personal experience i can tell you, its all about latency, i dont know why that is, but as long as its only 2 players it is not really the bandwidth that limits the speed.

what i mean is you can have 10mbit up as the host, as long as the latency between your location and the of the player connecting is kindda "high" you gonna have a very noticable delay on every menuclick you make.

the netcode just seems to be somehwat wasteful with the amount of packets transferred, or lets say how all the data seems to be split into many small single requests.

but thats probably the only way it is even possible to have a multiplayergame with the same complexity then the singleplayerpart, because building an highly optimized netcode for such a complex data structure throughout the entire game seems to be a hell of a task.

so yeah listen to La Furia Roja, dont ever use Hamachi or something similiar, because it increases your latency, and besides that just accept the fact that one of you is going to have a less smooth experience that you can't do much about, as long as you dont have a very low latency between your locations.

a friend of mine and me personally just dealt with it by transferring the save game from time to time to split the annoyance of being the connecting player between us.

Archived