Wonderkids - How to find out if a player is a wonderkid??

Hi guys, I was thinking, some players I have signed have not previously had on their description 'wonderkid'. Not until I have signed them anyway. I'm pretty good at spotting someone who is likely to be a wonderkid but how can I find out for sure without signing him first?

I know people are going to say scout him but the last guy I signed was thoroughly scouted (report then 3 matches) and his description never changed from promising striker. Until I signed him. Anyone know why this is?

Also, at what age does a players description change from wonderkid to something else? 20? 21?

Thanks!!

A wonderkid is a teenager who is good enough to play in a top league, so it is a matter of having a high CA at a young age. 1,5 or 2 stars CA is my guess. Potential doesn't matter. I am unsure if a 20-year-old is still a wonderkid or not, but I am quite sure that at his 21st birthday the designation disappears.

the wonderkid status is based on CA/PA and a number of other things... mainly reputation..

this is why when you sign him.. he changes to wonderkid status...

this doesnt mean he will become a world beater , but its a good indicator that he has the potential and talent to be.

I just follow my scout advice and sometimes I take my own decisions. I don't pay much attention to the player description, but to the scout report and if the players has a good rating, good personality and not compromising weak points like injury prone or inconsistent performer I take the player to my team when possible.

It is possible to see player reputation in game - it can be local, national, continental and world wide (maybe I've left a few out...).

In my experience the denotation wonderkid depends on the youngster's skill and reputation compared to the level of other players skill and reputation at the club.

In my Brøndby save (Danish Superleague) I once sold a 19 year old to a middle/top Italian side. He has never been recognised as a wonderkid in my squad but immediately when arriving at the Italian club he was a wonderkid.

At that point my club was ~40 in the reputation list but 1 in the "point rating" list. So off course I had really good and highly reputed players a bit unlike the Italian club. The Italian club, however was just as reputed as my club but played in a better league (Superleague is in 11th spot vs the Italian that is in 3rd spot).

This is why I believe it's mainly up to the skill and reputation of your players at your current club that decides when a young player get the denotation wonderkid.

I disagree that it's related to players at your club and would argue that it changes to wonderkid because of signing for a club with a higher reputation, thus increasing the player's own reputation because he is at a bigger club.

I disagree that it's related to players at your club and would argue that it changes to wonderkid because of signing for a club with a higher reputation, thus increasing the player's own reputation because he is at a bigger club.

this... has nothing to do with other players at your club.. all about the reputation change

Well, as I wrote in my post the club my player moved to had a similar reputation as my club. Yes the league has a higher standard and maybe that rubs off on a player.

But at my club I've seen players with national rep being touted as a wonderkid and players with continental rep not being touted as such. They were (not at the same time) 19 years old.

Workrate

Determination

Decision

Should all be high.

Then take a look at the position you're signing for or just in general - for example

A good wonderkid winger should have:

Work Rate

Determination

Decisions

Crossing

Dribbling

Technique

Decisions

Flair

Off the Ball

Acceleration

Agility

Balance

Pace

You can apply these attributes and choose to only search for a certain number of them - anything above 12 for an 18 year old is extremely good.

After you find your potential targets, you then scout them - I like to scout a player about 3 times with a scout that is good at both Judging Ability and Potential.

If the player is in a foreign country I make sure the Scout's knowledge is high in that country before sending.

Other than that - you just need to look for stats that suit the role and a young player.

A good way to model this would be to select a player who is doing well in the game consistently. Then you can base a search off their attributes (there's a button for it).

You can find an immense amount of youth players this way.

The last vital thing to do is to make sure you visit the youth league or leauge they are playing in and see if they are the top performing in Assists/Goals (if looking for a winger).

For BWM or a defender/full back, then someone who has a high tackle rate per game and a good passing rate, or an inside forward, in a support role, I would look for - I'd be looking at Pass Completion).

I'd also make sure the player I was signing also had the appropriate stats to fulfill the role.

Sometimes, and this is a really good aspect of FM, the " cold " numbers are not the only way to gauge a player skill, otherwise it would be flat.

Sometimes, you have to listen to your instinct too, in fact a good stats player may perform worse than a player having worst stats but he fits better into your own way of playing.

This is definitely one of the best aspects of FM

Well, as I wrote in my post the club my player moved to had a similar reputation as my club. Yes the league has a higher standard and maybe that rubs off on a player.

But at my club I've seen players with national rep being touted as a wonderkid and players with continental rep not being touted as such. They were (not at the same time) 19 years old.

Playing in a higher rep league will give that player a higher world rep.

It's not just rep though, as others have mentioned earlier. CA/PA is taken into account, so your player with a continental rep might actually have a lower CA than the one with a national rep.

Archived