players exchanging/switching positions within a formation

i have been using a 4-2-3-1 formation and have had success with players switching positions during games. I get my AML and AMR interchanging with each other and also the AMC and Striker switching. and to great effect.

It has resulted in the opposing teams marking defenders being pulled out of shape and opening up holes behind their defence, which are then penetrated with a through ball or well placed cross........

has anyone else had success doing this?? i only do this with the attacking players, but i guess you could also use it with a central midifield pairing, where they take turns in playing as a holding mid and an attacking one

is this an underutilised option by FM gamers?

I think it works well if you have similar instructions set for both wingers. Then went your left footed winger switches to the right flank, it gives a nice surprise to the opposition.

However the position changes feel like it happens at random times.

What I usually do is, just swap the players in the TC then observe the game for a bit. If it seems like its an effective swap, I might just leave the players swapped for the rest of the match.

This works for all positions I guess.

A nice advancement would be the ability to have more than 2 players switching. So using the OP's 4-2-3-1 as an example, the AML, AMR and the AMC all interchanging in a manner similar to Chelsea at the moment with Mata, Oscar and Hazard switching frequently.

Another RL example would be the Man Utd circa 2008 & 2009 with the front 3 of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo who regularly interchanged.

True fluidity amongst specific players, basically.

A nice advancement would be the ability to have more than 2 players switching. So using the OP's 4-2-3-1 as an example, the AML, AMR and the AMC all interchanging in a manner similar to Chelsea at the moment with Mata, Oscar and Hazard switching frequently.

Another RL example would be the Man Utd circa 2008 & 2009 with the front 3 of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo who regularly interchanged.

This would be a great added feature.

You used to be able to do this, but it was removed in either FM11 or FM12.

In my view what is needed is a box that allows you to switch their instructions too. ie.... Tick this box if you want your switched players to maintain their current instructions.

The current match engine is not bad in it's efforts to mimic this behaviour without setting particular swapping instructions. Give midfielders or attackers a bit of roaming freedom, and particularly in conjunction with a fluid or very fluid philosophy, and you will see that players fill in the gaps that other players have left when stepping out of their basic positions. For example, I have a 4-2-3-1 formation where my AML and AMC is equally good in either position, and I often see them having taken each others position, without me giving them swapping instructions. Or my striker has drifted out to the right flank, and the AMR has taken a more central position to keep the structure intact. Swapping instructions are probably needed if you want the AML and AMR to swap in such a formation, though.

In my view what is needed is a box that allows you to switch their instructions too. ie.... Tick this box if you want your switched players to maintain their current instructions.

I agree, +1

FM12 and it was one of my biggest disappointments. A great tactical system was to have LW swap with ST, who swapped with RW who swapped with AM who swapped with LW. This would create an absolutely insane alternating of players that would really threaten the opposition defence.

FM12 and it was one of my biggest disappointments. A great tactical system was to have LW swap with ST, who swapped with RW who swapped with AM who swapped with LW. This would create an absolutely insane alternating of players that would really threaten the opposition defence.

I did that to great effect on FM 08 I think with my barcelona team it was brilliant to watch and I was very disappointed to see them stopping this

I did that to great effect on FM 08 I think with my barcelona team it was brilliant to watch and I was very disappointed to see them stopping this

Another aspect is that the swapping is hard coded so if you have your wingers and strikers (or ST and AM) swap then both swaps will happen at the same time.

I experimented quite a bit with swapping since i have a lot of players in my team that can play on the left and on the right but especially on the wings I never noticed any effect on the opposition defense.

The only thing that changed for me was that my left foot that started on the right now played on the left and the right foot played on the right, so instead of how they usually cut in and played a through ball or tried to shoot they now put in more crosses and thus altering the was I attack every 10 or 15 minutes, not quite sure when those swaps occur.

This way I could observe what version worked better against my current opponent and usually stuck with it for the second half.

Maybe I have to give the swapping of AMC and ST a chance but like Iam said I doubt it will have a real effect against zonal marking teams.

Can't do it in FM11 either. Could in 09.

I too am in favour of the swap instructions with position idea.

Like Flohrinho I haven't noticed much of an effect on the opposition, just that a different player will play the role slightly differently but if that is an advantage you might as well make the swap permanent.

Can't do it in FM11 either. Could in 09.

I too am in favour of the swap instructions with position idea.

Like Flohrinho I haven't noticed much of an effect on the opposition, just that a different player will play the role slightly differently but if that is an advantage you might as well make the swap permanent.

Well I don't use the position switching anymore.

Instead I go for the right foot on right side and left foot on left side if I play against a team that employs two DMs or generally a fairly narrow formation since I want to keep the play wider.

If the opponent has no DM or just one employed I'm okay with playing the inside forward way with right foot on the left and left foot on the right and them cutting inside.

Maybe if I notice that my opponents play an aggresive man marking I will try the AM swap with ST and see how that goes for me.

Archived