Easiest road to World Cup ever? (at least for me :p)

Finally after 6 years of taking over England national team and got bounced out of 2017 Conf. Cup, 2018 WC, and 2020 EC, England finally won the world cup in 2020! The road to get win it all though was surprisingly easy so I can't brag of having win it the hard way xD. All the big team suffer shocking losses and I end up having to go against one good team along the way.

Here's the break down of the tournament!

group1_zps8c27566b.jpg

There's no real surprise in group A through D. At this point Ghana is a very strong team overall so seeing them ahead of Holland isn't surprising. Turkey is one of the top 5 team in the world thanks to the super regens that they have been having.

Group2_zps44390fd4.jpg

In group E Italy bow out of the tournament which is a real shocker since they could have easily top the group. My 2 world class defenders are on that team and they should've done much better than tying all three games. Group F's Spain was also a shocker as they have been in the top 3 all this time in the game, no idea how australia can place ahead of them... but good for me. No surprises on group G and H.

second_round_zpsd93488f3.jpg

In second round, Scotland beating Holland 2-0 is a surprise, I know holland lost their best striker (which happen to be my club's best striker) in injury in group play but they should've still beat Scotland. Mexico beating Turkey is a huge upset as Turkey have the personnel to go to at least semis if not win it all. France beating Argentina can only be good for me with 2 big teams beating each other

quarter_final_zpsc06585b8.jpg

In the Quarter finals, Ghana surprisingly beat Brazil (although I think by this time Brazil had lost quite a few players to injury) , ditto with Ivory Coast beating France. Portugal have some very good attacking players and I was antsy on going against them but to my surprise their defenders buckle under pressure fast and hard.

(continuing on next post due to image posting limitation)

By the end of the quarter finals though I was pretty much can taste the victory... with Ghana, Ivory Coast, and Scotland left the tournament was mine to lose.

Semi_final_zpsa34c4712.jpg

Scotland won on penalties over Ivory Coast, while I won comfortably over Ghana

third_place_zps6208a76e.jpg

Ivory Coast got third spot by a surprising lopsided victory

final_zps222bce36.jpg

The game against Scotland wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. England scored first early but Scotland tie it up before halftime and to make things worse they were actually the better team in the first half. Around 60 minute Jonjo Shelvey received a second yellow and my heart goes... thought I was going to blow it with the score still 1-1. Fortunately sometimes later Scotland scored an own goal, and a bit later England got the third goal to make it 3-1. At dying minutes Scotland got their 2nd goal from set piece, fortunately for me it was too late for them to get the tying goal.... whew....

Got the World Cup in my pocket though I'm not sure it was well earned :p

I qualified for the 2016 Euros with England and played the actual tournament the other day. After winning the group games quite easily, including a 4-0 win over Norway, I reached the quarter final where I was knocked out on penalties by Portugal (seriously) after dominating but their keeper making loads of saves. They were then knocked out by Norway in the semi who went on to win in the final. The team I beat comfortably in a group game won the whole tournament.

I wasn't helped by losing Rooney to injury (out for 3 months) 10 mins into the first game, Phil Jones (another 3 months) in the 2nd game, Chris Smalling in the 3rd game and another striker in the 4th game. As I play 3 up front it left me with no sub strikers for the quarter final.

firstly there is no world cup in 2020, I'm sure some of you mean 2022! I won the World Cup with France in 2018 and loved playing in it as I had never done so before on FM. Topped a simple group containing Uruguay, Ireland and Canada. In the knockout stages we saw off Mexico, Brazil and Italy before beating Argentina 2-0 in the final. The only disappointment for me was Messi getting injured between the semi and the final which takes a bit of gloss off the achievement.

No suprises through A - D. How good are Scotland on your save. Im Scottish and Scotland qualifying for a world cup in itself is a shock never mind winning all games on route to an all British final.

Man what are the odds of this ever happening ;)

When I was looking at it I thought "wow Scotland qualified for major competition" then I kept looking at their results rather than the OP's England(sorry OP).

Great stuff to win the WC but to do it beating Scotland in the final,surely that must have been sweet.

Ty for the kind words :p. I'll post SS of Scotland team after I get back from work tonight. It is for sure a surprise though to see an all British final. (Wonder if anyone ever had a semis of all British though O.O that would be crazy).

Messi: Wow that's some accomplishment taking out mexico, brazil, italy and argentina in knock out rounds!

But they were also missing their best player, Charlie McGinlay's DM partner, Richard Henry

s13_zps5c1d8e9d.jpg

If both player had been healthy with both of them a really good defensive player/deep playmaker, Scotland would've really excelled at counter-attacking game which is probably why they get all the way to the final

Wardog: They still have current players in the Scotland team but they're in sub role.

SCIAG: Reading's taken over by a tycoon (isn't this true IRL too?... I thought I read that somewhere) so they have some of the highest waged player in the premier league. Unfortunately for them they kept picking up bad managers :p, their team talent wise should've been in European competition but their highest finish was 10th I think even after all these years signing good players. B. Moore, as in T. Moore the striker's brother? :p

Haha only in FM could you have a Scotland Vs England world cup final :)

Would love it personally, but dont think it would ever happen in my lifetime.

Getting itchy feet waiting for FM13......soooo close. Going to give international management a go this time i think, never really made a save where i tried it.

i did have an all british final in FM 2022 world cup final England vs Scotland, but in the semi it was England vs. Ireland, but i lost the final as england after Joe Hart (Still first keeper) did get red card after 5 min and a penently to scotland, so i lose 0-1 against scotland

Archived