Solid slate drive and RAM upgrade

The SSD would make an improvement in speed, the RAM not so much.

I bought an SSD about a year ago that just has my OS, a few key programs and most of my games on it, and load times are noticeably shorter than on a magnetic HDD.

When you say load times, do you mean just the initial load or all the saves you make during the game?

extra ram will only help if you are multitasking.. won't help the game and frankly, i'd be surprised if you are using over 4gb ram anyway.

an SSD will speed up load times of your games if you have them mounted on it for sure... and will speed up load times of your OS if you do the same... but essentially speaking, it wont do much in way of helping processing of the game when you hit continue...

I have 24GB Ram (pointless max use I have seen is 20%)

SSD- fantastic my system boots from start to being online in 5 seconds(this is the way to go not the RAM, they are not cheap though and I move stuff to the second hard drive regularly to keep it working as it does....I am told it will perform perfectly even if harddrive was full, but I am not taking the risk)

The SSD will make a massive improvement to your overall computer speed if you don't have one already.

FM can be improved if you use the SSD as the location for the game install (through steam) and the User Data Folder.

The Ram won't make much of a difference but if it's cheap and that's all you can get might as well while you're upgrading the SSD.

(this is the way to go not the RAM, they are not cheap though and I move stuff to the second hard drive regularly to keep it working as it does....I am told it will perform perfectly even if harddrive was full, but I am not taking the risk)

An SSD has no real improvement or downside compared to a mechanical drive in terms of reliability.

If you are really concerned about reliability, get an Intel SSD but on the whole there's not much difference at all between mechanical and SSD.

The SSD will make a massive improvement to your overall computer speed if you don't have one already.

FM can be improved if you use the SSD as the location for the game install (through steam) and the User Data Folder.

The Ram won't make much of a difference but if it's cheap and that's all you can get might as well while you're upgrading the SSD.

An SSD has no real improvement or downside compared to a mechanical drive in terms of reliability.

If you are really concerned about reliability, get an Intel SSD but on the whole there's not much difference at all between mechanical and SSD.

Pretty much this, but I'd add that there are some really bad batches of SSDs out there with RMA rates through the roof, more so than normal HDDs. Make sure you do some research on which SSD you are going to get.

Cheers guys, my pc is good specs and runs well I just wanted to maximise performance for the new FM. Might well wait until the next version before spending uneeded money.

Also as my Windows 7 was preinstalled is there any way of moving it to the SSD if I do get one?

Yes, and you most definately should. Use cloning software. Some SSD manufacturers do have their own software for use in such circumstances - for example Intel's Data Migration Software. You may run into problems or get non optimal performance if you simply move everything from your old drive to your new SSD. But best is to re-install a clean Windows on to the new SSD. See if you can make a recovery CD/DVD from your Windows installation - it's always a good idea to have a fresh installable copy of the OS ready.

Recommend what - SSD? For stability, longevity and reliability, I would go with an Intel. External SSD not recommended - you would lose much of the speed improvement of an SSD, because of the USB 3 connection you would have to use. eSATA would probably do better, but it's not recommended. But what you could do, is get a external USB3 or eSATA (depends on what connections you have on your pc) HDD cabinet (they are cheap), and put your old hard drive in it. You could also of course put your new SSD in the external cabinet temporarily, in order to get data from your old drive transfered to it - then switch back again.

I have 12GB Ram and a 120GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD. Overall the computer is noticeably much quicker, starting programs, booting into windows are are extremely quick.

As far as playing FM12 it also starts quicker but thats really about the only difference I see since upgrading to the Ram and SSD. I think FM relys more on the processor speed to quciken things up.

Archived