Ooops; that's not good!

My IT bloke (I'm useless myself) just told me that my Hard Drive is knackered & needs changing. Also suggests I install a more up-to-date Windows (currently run "Vista", presume he is suggesting "7"?) system.

Since these will fundamentally re-start my stuff from scratch, how will my saved games come out in the end?

Are they kept on Steam? Will they still be available?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb but I'm 68 & computers is one of many areas I am finding that age & experience doesn't help you!

Steam does not save your games. All your games are saved on the hard drive in this folder: C:\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\games

Reinstalling your system/changing hard drive will lose all the data on your computer. Simply copy the saved game you want into a USB stick / CD or even email it to yourself.

Once you have reinstalled everything download Steam and from there you can download FM12 again. Then simply copy back your saved game into the same directory as above. Pretty simple really. If you have saved tactics/training schedules and other info you can also copy it the same way as your saved game. Just make sure you remember which folder they go into.

Steam does not save your games. All your games are saved on the hard drive in this folder: C:\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\games

You got the beginning part wrong, it's: C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2012\games

but yeah... you need to manually copy them somewhere else.. like a usb drive or a disc or like they said... email them to yourself :)...

then once your new system is up and running... download the game, make sure its up to date and just copy your files over to the same place again :)

but yeah... you need to manually copy them somewhere else.. like a usb drive or a disc or like they said... email them to yourself :)...

then once your new system is up and running... download the game, make sure its up to date and just copy your files over to the same place again :)

The file sizes would be far too large to email, even if they're compressed they'd still be at least 50mb.

I just want to say kudos for playing Football Manager at 68! It's an admirable thing to keep up to date with technology, I'm 21 and I don't understand any of these things.

Indeed, great to see fm is being played by a variety of generations! I wonder how FM would look like when I turn 68.

Assuming your old harddrive is still accessible (knackered but not dead), let IT bloke put the savegames (plus other things you might want to save) on a USB stick for you. Or ask him to transfer whatever can be saved data-wise to the new harddrive once he's done installing a new drive with a new version of windows :)

Thx for the advice chaps!

Rather than farting about with "sticks" & stuff, I reckon I will try to hold out & continue puddling along playing 2012 with the system as it is. I will gear up the recommended "tripe transfer" to take place when 2013 version is available (in a couple of weeks?) & just move seamlessly on to the new game. Once a new version is out, I never play the old one again.

Apprec. your input everyone. Glad I mentioned my "wrinkly challanged" nature & got the sympathy vote.

Thx for the advice chaps!

Rather than farting about with "sticks" & stuff, I reckon I will try to hold out & continue puddling along playing 2012 with the system as it is. I will gear up the recommended "tripe transfer" to take place when 2013 version is available (in a couple of weeks?) & just move seamlessly on to the new game. Once a new version is out, I never play the old one again.

Apprec. your input everyone. Glad I mentioned my "wrinkly challanged" nature & got the sympathy vote.

I am an IT guy, if you need help or have questions just ask me in PM.

Don't be shy, there is no stupid question ,only stupid answers.

16GB Memory-Stick is all thats needed - Job done! **Note only use dropbox for one computer, don't use it if you keep switching from a PC or Laptop to play the game - Everything Will Go Horribly Wrong ... lol

"The only stupid question is the question you don't ask."

Archived