My biggest wish for a future FM: Starting in a past season with that season's database.

What I would really, really, love as a new feature in a future FM version, is the option to choose to start in a past season. It would have all the proper clubs in the competitions, with all the proper players. All the players wil have an updated CA/PA so that players like Messi and C Ronaldo will become the world star players that they are today. All the players that are too young to already be around when a season starts will be added to the relevant club as a new youth when he is the age that he appeared IRL. So for instance: If you start out in the season 1990-1991 then Lionel Messi will appear in the 2001-2002 season at Barcelona's youth team aged 14. (Or 1 or 2 years later).

This will be better than playing an older version of Football Manager (or CM) because for one it will have the newest and latest match engine and all the newest features. And second you will get all the right players in when you progress through the seasons, and they will have the proper talent.

Hopefully this won't take too much developing and coding to be able to implement. They could take the databases of the older games (or copy them) and just adjust some of the attributes and the CA/PA's. And we've seen in FML that they had a possibility in phase-wise introducing players in future seasons.

I don't like it. Player development is important, this would all be taken away if a player just develops no matter what.

I also prefer surprises, would be boring knowing exactly which players become good.

The past has already happened, I was there. I'd much rather manage in the present/future as I don't know what's going to happen and can control my own FM destiny.

I don't like it. Player development is important, this would all be taken away if a player just develops no matter what.

I also prefer surprises, would be boring knowing exactly which players become good.

The past has already happened, I was there. I'd much rather manage in the present/future as I don't know what's going to happen and can control my own FM destiny.

Yeah, I meant only correcting the players CA/PA. Ofcourse they still need the right training and playtime to develop properly. It could even happen (and be fun) to see C Ronaldo fail misserably in his career and end up in a lower Portuguese division.

And this will be a different gaming experience. With different challenges. Will you be able to recreate Manchester U's dominance or prevent Leeds decline? Can you bring Chelsea to glory without the financial aid of Abramovich? Etc.

EDIT: And the past/future won't be set, because a large part of the fun is seeing players end up at different clubs, and clubs performing differently. What if Messi is bought by Man U at an early age and C Ronaldo doesn't leave them for Real? Or more likely, what if I buy these players with Ajax? How will Barcelona and Real fill in their spots? Will other stars arise instead?

It wouldn't make commercial sense to do this as SI would have to hire a lot more staff as you are doubling their workload for every different season you want to add for litte extra income. The unpaid club researchers would also have to do more work and the more time you take away from the current database the more errors and inaccuracies there would be as the researches only ahve a limited amount of time.

The only even feasable way to do it is for the community to create an edited database and that would be a lot of work.

I really like the idea. We already have the data from older seasons in older FM's, so no need to hire new staff to type in all the attributes again. Let's say you start with the 08/09 database. The game will load all the players who were active in that season. It will then go on an check these players' PA values in the 09/10, 10/11, 11/12 and 12/13 database and take the value of the latest database in which the player is still active. At every newgen-generation day, the game would call up the database of the next season and compare it to the current savegame to determine the players it has to add as new players.

Obviously, this would cost a lot of processing time. It's not as easy to implement as I depicted it, but then again it isn't so impossible as some might think.

I really like the idea. We already have the data from older seasons in older FM's, so no need to hire new staff to type in all the attributes again. Let's say you start with the 08/09 database. The game will load all the players who were active in that season. It will then go on an check these players' PA values in the 09/10, 10/11, 11/12 and 12/13 database and take the value of the latest database in which the player is still active. At every newgen-generation day, the game would call up the database of the next season and compare it to the current savegame to determine the players it has to add as new players.

Obviously, this would cost a lot of processing time. It's not as easy to implement as I depicted it, but then again it isn't so impossible as some might think.

Yes there is. The database has changed over time, so they are not compatible at all. You can't run FM12 with the FM11 database. That is exactly why you can't carry on a FM save from one version to the newest version.

Over the years SI have things to the database, juyst because the visible attributes have remained the same over the past couple of version it doesn't mean that there hasn't been changes under the hood that you're not aware of.

Archived