How do you get players non-contracts?

I started a new save as manager of Sheffield FC in the 8th tier a few days ago (first time I've tried a semi-pro team) and after signing just a few players, I'm £170 over my wage budget (which is a lot at that level). I have a few players who were in my squad at the start on non-contracts and I see AI teams signing loads of players on non-contracts, yet when I approach to sign an unattached player it only ever seems to give me part-time as an option.

I started a new save as manager of Sheffield FC in the 8th tier a few days ago (first time I've tried a semi-pro team) and after signing just a few players, I'm £170 over my wage budget (which is a lot at that level). I have a few players who were in my squad at the start on non-contracts and I see AI teams signing loads of players on non-contracts, yet when I approach to sign an unattached player it only ever seems to give me part-time as an option.

It might depend on the squad status you offer. Try changing the status offered.

Sadly this is set up in the database per. club, so different clubs will allow different types of contracts to different kinds of squad status.

I manage Bath City in the BSP, and my contract types are as follows:

Key Players/First Team - Only allowed to sign Full Time contracts.

Backup/Rotation - Only allowed to sign Part time contracts.

Youngster/Hot Prospect - Only allowed to sign Non-contracts.

It might depend on the squad status you offer. Try changing the status offered.

Sadly this is set up in the database per. club, so different clubs will allow different types of contracts to different kinds of squad status.

I manage Bath City in the BSP, and my contract types are as follows:

Key Players/First Team - Only allowed to sign Full Time contracts.

Backup/Rotation - Only allowed to sign Part time contracts.

Youngster/Hot Prospect - Only allowed to sign Non-contracts.

Well that's annoying. I see all my rivals at the top of the Evo-Stik Northern Division One South signing players on non-contracts and I've been paying people weekly wages, now the board – even though they're very happy with the league performance – are getting a bit cheesed off with the wage bill. Got two players on £100 p/w and two on £75 p/w. Looks like I'll have to let them go and see if I can offer non contracts to youngsters.

Cheers for your response anyway.

A player to become a member of your staff must be aged 30 yrs or older, then just go to the players profile, then go to Interaction button, top right corner, then Private Chat. Then select Developement then lastly select Recommend Possible Future Staff Role. Then select 1 you think he would be good at. He will then reply in a positive or negative way. If lucky, you may get a reply of him being willing to start now eg- as a coach. But be carefully, he will ask for a very very high staff wage, usually atleast 50% of his current wage. Pretty bad if its someone like Steven Gerrard and he requests 150k a week to be your assistant manager or just a first team coach.

A player to become a member of your staff must be aged 30 yrs or older, then just go to the players profile, then go to Interaction button, top right corner, then Private Chat. Then select Developement then lastly select Recommend Possible Future Staff Role. Then select 1 you think he would be good at. He will then reply in a positive or negative way. If lucky, you may get a reply of him being willing to start now eg- as a coach. But be carefully, he will ask for a very very high staff wage, usually atleast 50% of his current wage. Pretty bad if its someone like Steven Gerrard and he requests 150k a week to be your assistant manager or just a first team coach.

What has that got to do with non-contracts?

Anyway, I'm getting a bit fed up now as non-contracts are never an option. All my non-contract players are being signed by other clubs as I can't offer them any wage as it'll take me too far over the wage budget. I can only seem to get players on trial but as soon as they've played one game they get signed by someone else (usually on a non-contract!). I've approached youngsters, players in their mid 20s and players towards the end of their careers, all on free transfers, I've tried changing the squad status and part-time contract is always the only option. Surely I must be able to offer non-contracts as there were several players in my squad at the start of the game on non-contracts (though most have gone now). What am I doing wrong??

Check the status of your club, if it is Professional/Semi-Professional chances are the majority of your players will be expected to be part-time. Whereas if you are an amateur team then the majority will be on non-contracts. Always check this before selecting a team in the lower leagues as it can (as it has with you) hamper your chances of signing players and staff.

Hope this helps!

Check the status of your club, if it is Professional/Semi-Professional chances are the majority of your players will be expected to be part-time. Whereas if you are an amateur team then the majority will be on non-contracts. Always check this before selecting a team in the lower leagues as it can (as it has with you) hamper your chances of signing players and staff.

Hope this helps!

The problem for Semi-pro clubs is that this is setup in the database per club. So it can be many different settings for all the semi-pro clubs in England. And there is no indication anywhere in the User Interface (either when selecting a club or once you start the game) of how these are set up for the club you want to manage. You basically have to test it, to figure out when you can offer NC to a player in that specific club.

Seems to be a clunky implementation in FM12, and hope they make it work better in FM13.

I know my club (Sheffield FC) is semi-pro but not sure about some of the other clubs in my division, I'll check some of the ones I know for a fact have signed loads of NC players when I get home (Market Drayton, for example have signed about 20 players since I started my game and I'm almost at the end of the first season).

It'd be odd if my club was set up not to be able to offer non-contracts seeing as I had about 8 players on this type of contract when I first started, though most have since been poached and I can't keep them without offering part time. I saw a thread in the transfers/contracts bugs forum where someone was complaining about other clubs constantly approaching one of his NC players and each time he'd have to make a new non-contract offer, which the player would then accept, so he'd keep him until the next approach by another club and would then repeat the cycle. I don't get the option of offering another non-contract to these players.

Archived