Why are "Trial Days" a board request?

Surely it's one of the more basic things that a manager has at his disposal. You should just be able to bring up the calendar and designate a day to have one, and have as many trial days that you want. Is there anything more to it than putting an ad in a paper or contacting agents to say you're having one? I can't see any financial costs that would incur as you're not paying the players who trial. For non-league teams I see it as a vital way to recruit new players without having to spend money scouting players and with social media now-a-days it's as simple as putting up a page on Facebook with a time and place. (That's what my local team do).

What's the reason behined it being a Board Request?

100% agree with this, can never get a trial day organised, and it should be a straightforward thing for preseason.

I'd go further and say we should be allowed three specific trial days per season:

Pre-Season - for out-of-contract players looking for a club (first-team).

March - This would be like a local schools trial, looking at 15/16 year-olds that may have slipped the net. York do this most seasons now. You'd occasionally (not every season by any means) get a message from your Head of Youth saying "actually, we should bring so-and-so in for an extended trial". This would then tie-in to the point your new potential scholars are promoted, and this player would be there with your academy products for consideration.

May - A trial for youth players released by other clubs at 16, rather than being signed. So you can gamble on not signing your own products, just trying to pick up free agents (a la EPPP level 4)

If the manager can organise friendlies, which cost money, I cannot see why the same screen couldn't be used for a trial day. Obviously it would cost, and the quality of player available would be different on when the manager holds it, but the option should be freely available. Maybe if you are trying to arrange one in October when short of funds the board could veto it, but other than those sort of occasions, it should be as much the manager's choice as a friendly.

100% agree with this, can never get a trial day organised, and it should be a straightforward thing for preseason.

I'd go further and say we should be allowed three specific trial days per season:

Pre-Season - for out-of-contract players looking for a club (first-team).

March - This would be like a local schools trial, looking at 15/16 year-olds that may have slipped the net. York do this most seasons now. You'd occasionally (not every season by any means) get a message from your Head of Youth saying "actually, we should bring so-and-so in for an extended trial". This would then tie-in to the point your new potential scholars are promoted, and this player would be there with your academy products for consideration.

May - A trial for youth players released by other clubs at 16, rather than being signed. So you can gamble on not signing your own products, just trying to pick up free agents (a la EPPP level 4)

Exactly, and to expand on what you've put - you could also "invite" individual players to a designated "trial day" rather than taking them on for a full week. The "trial day squad" could take on your first/reserve/youth team in a friendly (and if it's pre-season you could even hold it at your stadium with it open to the public to gain some extra income or cover the costs {if any} of the trial day itself.)

Archived