Football Manager 2013 Video Blogs: GUI and Usability 1

What? correct me if I am wrong but 50% of those features are not new... why are they even included? And more importantly where is the promised ME improvements?

It was about how the GUI has been improved, including around the new features.

And the ME has had two videos, as well has had PaulC post several times about it.

What? correct me if I am wrong but 50% of those features are not new... why are they even included? And more importantly where is the promised ME improvements?

And the ME has had two videos, as well has PaulC post several times about it.

Exactly, plus the initial announcement said that the ME would be improved. On top of that 50% of what was said wasn't new, he was explaining in more detail some of the points raised in other blogs such as the DoF screen.

Nothing concrete has been said about the ME improvements. Nothing.

GUI improvements? As I said half of the stuff shown was there in 2012 so how is that an improvement (say, goal statistics)?

I suggest you rewatch the ME videos and re read his posts then.

The heavily expanded and extra adaptive displays were not there, and additions to the calendar how isn't that an improvement?

I suggest you rewatch the ME videos and re read his posts then.

The heavily expanded and extra adaptive displays were not there, and additions to the calendar how isn't that an improvement?

These are (not that I use the calendar anyway) but why are goal statistics mentioned - I saw 0 improvement - correct me if I wrong?

What's so exciting....yet another thing to make the game easier...they even scout for you now for the actual skills you need. The way SI are going in 2015 the only thing you will have to do is press spacebar.

They've made it quicker rather than easier. Considering key attributes are highlighted if you check a player screen, all they have done is save you the tedious task of manually entering each of the key attributes into player search. Or if you are like me, the laborious task of making search filters for each role.

They've made it quicker rather than easier. Considering key attributes are highlighted if you check a player screen, all they have done is saved you the tedious task of manually entering each of the key attributes into player search. Or if you are like me, the laborious task of making search filters for each role.

It is easier, cause with ready-made filters now it is harder to buy a player that you don't need (especially if you are not experienced in the game)...that's the whole point of having managers, to make decisions on what they want. SI are just taking away the areas where you can an error of judgement one by one. I am certainly not liking it. Obviously, one can choose to ignore it...but now that it is there I will probably use it. That doesn't make it good though.

It is easier, cause with ready-made filters now it is harder to buy a player that you don't need (especially if you are not experienced in the game)...that's the whole point of having managers, to make decisions on what they want. SI are just taking away the areas where you can an error of judgement one by one. I am certainly not liking it. Obviously, one can choose to ignore it...but now that it is there I will probably use it. That doesn't make it good though.

There is no difference between their ready made filters, and a user, manually inputting the attributes, or making filters based on the attributes highlighted in game. They will still have near enough the same accuracy, you will still have to sort through the results. No "space for error" has been taken away, since the key attributes are already made known anyway. The only difference is the time saved for the user. Given that it took me about 4 hours to make filters for all the positions, I think its a brilliant time saver.

And the ME has had two videos, as well has had PaulC post several times about it.

Yeah first 2 videos. I remember. But if you read what PaulC said, you would realise he said nothing. Just nothing.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8083367&viewfull=1#post8083367

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8085044&viewfull=1#post8085044

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8085067&viewfull=1#post8085067

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8091612&viewfull=1#post8091612

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8092430&viewfull=1#post8092430

About the second video (with no comment) on the "new phantomatic ME", i think it wasn't raised a thread either.

I don't know how many video blogs we watched here, i'm not happy with the game AT ALL at this moment, because all i see is a bunch of stuff to click on, a bunch of people to talk to, and a bunch of things i'm sure i won't ever use. People wants realism, it's ok. But how can you claim for realism on interactions and conferences, and be so permissive when your team hits 5 times woodwork every match you play?

This is incoherent, in my opinion.

This is supposed to be a "Football Managing" simulation. When 20 video blogs over 25 are dedicated to the "managing" side of the game, i think something is going wrong. Don't you?

Yeah first 2 videos. I remember. But if you read what PaulC said, you would realise he said nothing. Just nothing.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8083367&viewfull=1#post8083367

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8085044&viewfull=1#post8085044

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8085067&viewfull=1#post8085067

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8091612&viewfull=1#post8091612

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314915-New-Match-Engine-Video?p=8092430&viewfull=1#post8092430

About the second video (with no comment) on the "new phantomatic ME", i think it wasn't raised a thread either.

I don't know how many video blogs we watched here, i'm not happy with the game AT ALL at this moment, because all i see is a bunch of stuff to click on, a bunch of people to talk to, and a bunch of things i'm sure i won't ever use. People wants realism, it's ok. But how can you claim for realism on interactions and conferences, and be so permissive when your team hits 5 times woodwork every match you play?

This is incoherent, in my opinion.

This is supposed to be a "Football Managing" simulation. When 20 video blogs over 25 are dedicated to the "managing" side of the game, i think something is going wrong. Don't you?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314457-*Official*-Football-Manager-2013-Announced!?p=8102492#post8102492

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/314457-*Official*-Football-Manager-2013-Announced!?p=8098518#post8098518

I would consider that more than nothing.

When you consider that the 25 blogs are not only snippets of what they talk about, but then also snippets of the total changes in the game, I don't think i would have enough information to say its great or its terrible or whatever, some of the changes sound great, some don't appeal to me at all, but we wont have seen enough of it, and the proof is in the pudding so to speak. That's where the demo/Beta comes in, and allows you to get hold of much more of what been changed (and not been changed) and thus gives you a much better a idea of how much or how little has been done.

I love the searching by roles, it will probably make me use the player search for the first time in a few versions now! It was just a mess of data before. I never really played around much with the adaptive screens last year and probably wont again this year so not overly bothered about them. Anything that saves clicks is a good thing in my book.

Eh?!

This is a game simulating being a manager of a football team, why wouldnt the vast majority of the blogs be about the managing side of the game?!

Eh?!

This is a game simulating being a manager of a football team, why wouldnt the vast majority of the blogs be about the managing side of the game?!

But they haven't been. They've been about frippery. Peripheral things. All of it is pointless if the match engine isn't realistic. Nothing has addressed the many bugs that existed in it. Nothing has particularly explained anything new other than the physics, which is nice but pointless if the AI still sucks. When the 'nickel and dime you to death' mode gets a week of videos and the ME has two really brief glances at, then we'd much prefer to hear about the match engine and its realistic depiction of football. It's certainly more interesting than taxes.

Mixed views on this. Now my filters are rendered obsolete.... :(

Agreed. But my role filters are also sub-divided into quality and level so I would end up still using my own rather than FMs.

And I just checked my filters...I have 369 different ones! :lol:

Mixed views on this. Now my filters are rendered obsolete.... :(

I wouldn't think they are obsolete, I assume this will just be by the "best role" of each player in their scout report, I have seen plenty of players where it says their best role is a role that they have some terrible attributes for, you are clearly going to still need your filters...

You talk like the match engine in no way re-creates a realistic game of football, or rather, the animations you watch dont depict a perfect match. The engine its self, is very good, the animations at times are not so good. Yes it has issues, but its still one of the most complex pieces of code in any game (from what i have been told) and one of the most impressive (again from what i have been told), and almost no one else can even come close to competing with it. Watch a game of FIFA, AI vs AI, it looks nothing like a game of football should.

This global "we" seems to get thrown around as if the forum has one voice, i personally dont care about an ME vid, what are they going to show that they havent already done, they have said they have improved the AI, and the ball physics, for me thats enough to wet my appetite and make me excited to try the new game.

But to satisfy people, the first key feature mentioned on the Steam advert for the game is this,

Match Engine

The 3D match engine has seen huge improvements this year. Everything on the pitch looks more realistic; from the stadiums, the players’ movement, intelligence, and the way the ball moves through the air.

We’ve also introduced hundreds of new animations to make the game feel more realistic and we’ve made the whole experience more televisual by introducing new camera angles and showing the kick-off and final whistle.

Overreactions as usual. The video blogs are not about announcing new features. They are there to show what is new, what's updated, and what's been enhanced.

It's the first video on the subject and there are more to come.

Someone asked about why are the Goals thing showed - well it shows a better User Interface into reading how the goals were scored and where the passes came from for the Goals.

This is a new feature in the User Interface.

People seem to forget that not every player watches every full match in order to really know their team's weaknesses and strengths. I, for one, like to watch only commentaries and things like these reports allow me to get a much deeper understanding of the matches I play.

People seem to forget that not every player watches every full match in order to really know their team's weaknesses and strongnesses. I, for one, like to watch only commentaries and things like these reports allow me to get a much deeper understanding of the matches I play.

the point is these reports are already in fm12.

Yea, I don't think I'm gonna let my Board handle the firing/hiring, transfers, contracts etc...yet. Don't trust those guys a bit lol.

It's not the Board - it's the Director of Football.

And you can choose not to let them handle all the things mentioned on the screen.

You have full control of what you want to handle at the club.

yeh i was going to go back and edit it - my mistake for thinking people could extrapolate what I meant.

I'll reword now - "The video blogs are not just about announcing new features. They are there to show what is new, what is enhanced and etc."

You get the drift. It's late.

Agreed. But my role filters are also sub-divided into quality and level so I would end up still using my own rather than FMs.

And I just checked my filters...I have 369 different ones! :lol:

Hah, and I thought I was bad! But it's a useful touch nonetheless, at the very least its less time used up and less clicks needed.

Eh?!

Exactly - to paraphrase an age old argument on this board, it's Football Manager - not Football match-watcher. The graphical representation of the match engine is the last thing I'm bothered about, it's how I get to that point that's important, and the blogs have been great for this.

Watch a game of FIFA, AI vs AI, it looks nothing like a game of football should.

This is quite simply a very bad and completely irrelevant comparison. FIFA AI is not meant to play itself, it's designed to provide challenge to those that play against it in single player mode and complement user controlled players in multiplayer, all that in 8 minute matches. Give me controls over any one player in FM ME and I'd run rings around every defender before scoring goal after goal (tbf that's what fast players do in it anyway).

What's so exciting....yet another thing to make the game easier...they even scout for you now for the actual skills you need. The way SI are going in 2015 the only thing you will have to do is press spacebar.

Another award winning Post from alexyfootinmouth!.

Some of us are not an FM genius like yourself. Actually time permiting I would set up searches for all roles (having to enter all the required attribute fields). Now I dont have to, can spend that time actually "playing the game".

I'm pretty sure if a manager in real life was looking for a certain type of player, say a ball winning defensive midfielder - then they would instruct the scouts to do just that.

I don't think SI added this feature lightly - in fact I believe they learned more about how real club scouting works in reality and implemented that into the game.

This is quite simply a very bad and completely irrelevant comparison. FIFA AI is not meant to play itself, it's designed to provide challenge to those that play against it in single player mode and complement user controlled players in multiplayer, all that in 8 minute matches. Give me controls over any one player in FM ME and I'd run rings around every defender before scoring goal after goal (tbf that's what fast players do in it anyway).

Ok fair enough, tell me then, what game can be used as a good comparison to test the quality of the AI in a footballing sense?

Archived