Can I do this or does the DRM prevent me from doing so?

I have a really powerful PC.

I have an older sub standard laptop.

However, I prefer to play FM on my Laptop - you know, like in front of the TV, in bed...on the toilet (plop) etc.

I want to run FM on my powerful PC as a server, but connect to it on my laptop via my home network.

Is this possible? Or is the DRM restrictive that I cannot play the game this way?

Thanks.

I would recommend LogMeIn free, would do the job perfectly. As with any remote desktop programs though there will be a slight delay between clicking and something happening, but it shouldn't be too much of a bother.

Another possibly annoying issue is if your PC output is in a much higher resolution than your laptop can handle, in which case FM wouldn't fit on your laptops screen, though I guess you could just re-size FM so it fits in a convenient way.

Before I got my current laptop I used to do this with the old one, but the clicking delay can be very very frustrating.

You don't need 2 copies at all. If it's a home network you can just remotely access your PC through Windows. If your Windows doesn't have that feature then you'll need something like Teamviewer but it'll be slower because then it has to go through the internet - hence even bigger clicking delay.

Forget smooth playback of the 3d engine too, I played 2d when I did this and even then it stuttered a lot.

Again, you don't need FM on both. Just install on the home PC and connect to it through a remote layer in the laptop, there's no need whatsoever to install it on the laptop if you want to play it by the network. Unless you want to play against someone in the other computer.

KOP

I have a more powerful desktop and setup like you, and so was interested in what you say.

At the moment Im away from home so have my laptop and iPad with me.

Tried using LogMe In and ran FM 12 from the Ipad. Worked really well but the 3D match stuttered a little.

Will be trying it with Laptop and Desktop when I get home and think it will work well.

Gutted you can't do this normally, remember when you could? You got like 5 installs. That was much better than restricting genuine users in this manner. Sadly, the only way to do what I want to do is via the remote desktop software mentioned above or resort to what SI would call 'piracy' (which I won't do).

Will take a look at this remote desktop setup...quickie...does that mean the screen on my main PC has to be the same as the screen on my laptop/device? ie someone else can't use the main PC whilst I'm remote desktopping?

It worked (still works) for me on FM12... The only thing is that Steam can't be running online on both computers, so if I start the game on laptop, it notices me if Steam is running on the PC, but if I enter username and password it shuts down Steam on PC.

Can you not login to steam and download it on both - I had fm11 on two laptops this way.

But yeah vnc works well for me on my iPad but no 3d matches

you have to use splashtop for ipad. it works on 3d games and everything.

Gutted you can't do this normally, remember when you could? You got like 5 installs. That was much better than restricting genuine users in this manner. Sadly, the only way to do what I want to do is via the remote desktop software mentioned above or resort to what SI would call 'piracy' (which I won't do).

Will take a look at this remote desktop setup...quickie...does that mean the screen on my main PC has to be the same as the screen on my laptop/device? ie someone else can't use the main PC whilst I'm remote desktopping?

It's still perfectly possible to install the new FM on multiple PCs with Steam, it's just that you can't play multiple copies simultaneously. Are you saying that you used to create a network game using the PC as a host and the laptop as a client?

Anyway, there are various ways of achieving what you want to do. Remote desktop is built into Windows, and when you use it the main PC will revert to a blank screen and be unusable until you've finished. If you use a VNC tool, typically the master PC will still be usable, but it will duplicate perfectly what you're seeing on the laptop. So if someone tries to use it whilst you're on the laptop, you'll see them move the mouse away, minimise FM and start shopping.

I wouldn't use something like LogMeIn or MSN, as it will route the connection through the internet and make it far slower than Remote Desktop or VNC which will run through the LAN provided both machines are on the same network.

Can you not login to steam and download it on both - I had fm11 on two laptops this way.

Yeah, I'm a little confused with this too. You can download FM through Steam on multiple computers. The only restriction is that you can't be logged into more than one instance of Steam at the same time, but with offline mode enabled on your laptop, that wouldn't be a problem. You could then just make sure that your save game location is available over your home's network, and voilà. I'm pretty sure that the solution is even legal, as I think you buy a license for a person to be entitled play the game, not a license for every computer the software is installed on. Would need confirmation on that last bit though, as I'm not 100%.

Archived