Centerbacks covering and stopper just a quick question...

When i set up my team and tactics i always use my two centerbacks, one as covering the other as a stopper. My question is am i right in thinking that the defender who is covering, is covering the goalkeeper and the stopper is trying to break up the opposition attack? or is the stopper the last line in deffence to the goalkeeper ie jamie carragher? and the one who is covering is trying to break up the play? if so ive been wrong all these years.

hope you can put me out of my misery.

Jamie Carragher would be, I guess, a Limited Defender with a Cover role.

Stopper is Vidic - i.e. happy to go in for a tackle slightly further up the pitch.

Cover is Rio Ferdinand - not rushing into tackles as often, intercepting through balls when the ball gets past the stopper.

Terry-Carvalho was another Stopper-Cover. Vermaelen often closes down higher up the pitch and Gallas/Koscielny used to cover for him (I don't really know how things are working now with Mertesacker in there).

So you had it right the first time.

I've never been a fan of this on FM. I think players should just be left to do what they do naturally. i.e - Ferdinand is a ball playing defender, so that's what he should be in the game. You shouldn't have to muck around "setting" it. IMO it's a part of the game that takes too long that isn't needed. Strikers who are poachers in real life should just be set to play that way in the game etc...

I've never been a fan of this on FM. I think players should just be left to do what they do naturally. i.e - Ferdinand is a ball playing defender, so that's what he should be in the game. You shouldn't have to muck around "setting" it. IMO it's a part of the game that takes too long that isn't needed. Strikers who are poachers in real life should just be set to play that way in the game etc...

Just because they play a certain way in real life it doesn't mean we want them to play the same way on FM, everybody is different and this is one of the fun parts of the game, seeing what roles you can play players in and seeing if you can get the best out of them by doing it all YOURSELF not automatically by the AI

Just because they play a certain way in real life it doesn't mean we want them to play the same way on FM, everybody is different and this is one of the fun parts of the game, seeing what roles you can play players in and seeing if you can get the best out of them by doing it all YOURSELF not automatically by the AI

But it's obvious what people are. Nobody's going to want to play a 5ft 2" stick thin 17 year old as a target man for example. I just think it's a needless timewaste.

While i'm on the subject, if you play using the "retro" old tactics screen with the arrows, are those things pre-set like i'm talking about? Or is there some other way for me to avoid having to spend all that time individually changing the positions whenever I drop somebody and bring another, and different type of player in? I'm happy to just let players be what they are without having to keep setting it. Is there a way to do that so I don't have to bother with the mucking about?

But it's obvious what people are. Nobody's going to want to play a 5ft 2" stick thin 17 year old as a target man for example. I just think it's a needless timewaste.

While i'm on the subject, if you play using the "retro" old tactics screen with the arrows, are those things pre-set like i'm talking about? Or is there some other way for me to avoid having to spend all that time individually changing the positions whenever I drop somebody and bring another, and different type of player in? I'm happy to just let players be what they are without having to keep setting it. Is there a way to do that so I don't have to bother with the mucking about?

You say nobody wants to, some bizarrely might it's personal preference, I personally would get more joy out of trying something different than the norm with players and getting success from it, also another reason why it wont be pre set is because not everybody knows how every player plays in the game, you are obviously talking about the players in top leagues, lower leagues and foreign leagues I for one don't know how every player plays so setting it all manually having looked at stats/PPM is perfect for me......

While i'm on the subject, if you play using the "retro" old tactics screen with the arrows, are those things pre-set like i'm talking about?

Where does the "arrows" retro view come from, is it a specific skin? - I have never found that view out of the box.

Yeah.... So anyway, is it possible? Will it do away with all that stuff if I use "revert to classic" for example? It's really no different than saying to a player "just play your natural game".

*** I've just found "auto assign roles & duties" ***

The Cover defender will, in real life, cover the hole in the defensive line that the Stopper defender leaves behind when he intercepts the ball or an opponent higher up the pitch. In FM the Cover defender will just drop deeper so the hole is still there. If the Stopper is tricked, outplayed or misses his challenge and the opponent manages to take advantage of that hole by for instance playing a through ball there, the Cover defender will not "change lanes" in order to intercept.

This basically renders Cover/Stopper relationships useless in the game unless you play very narrowly. However, if you have one "dumb" but powerful stopper and one "smart" and less powerful but quicker stopper having the exact same instructions, they will be Cover/Stopper for all intents and purposes but there will be much less negative consequences than when they have different instructions. If anything, the smaller stopper might lose more challenges and that could be dangerous.

It is possible to have a target man but supply the ball for him to run on to or to feet.

If I have 2 strikers and both are best as Poacher, I do not want the game to automatically assign both as Poachers as there's a chance they would get in each others way and make the same runs. It would also isolate the forward line from the midfield as they would both be too advanced and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

It's far better we get the choice so in my example I'd look at both players and see if one is slightly better in a different role like DLF.

You may as well not have a manager if it worked this way.

I guess everyone has a different opinion but I don't always want players to just play their own way, I have a system and they need to fit into it.

It is possible to have a target man but supply the ball for him to run on to or to feet.

If I have 2 strikers and both are best as Poacher, I do not want the game to automatically assign both as Poachers as there's a chance they would get in each others way and make the same runs. It would also isolate the forward line from the midfield as they would both be too advanced and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

It's far better we get the choice so in my example I'd look at both players and see if one is slightly better in a different role like DLF.

Further to this, my team's top scorer is a poacher in a 4-2-3-1, set as the target man with "run on to ball".

So it doesn't have to be just a 6' 5" beanpole to work.

Isn't this though, just a post-tactics creator way of setting the various settings for mentality, closing down etc to a way that's intuitive?

Re strikers playing as poachers - for example Defoe is such I believe in FM12, but he's playing in a more creative, holding up the ball way this season in particular, whenever I've seen him play for Spurs.

The Cover defender will, in real life, cover the hole in the defensive line that the Stopper defender leaves behind when he intercepts the ball or an opponent higher up the pitch. In FM the Cover defender will just drop deeper so the hole is still there. If the Stopper is tricked, outplayed or misses his challenge and the opponent manages to take advantage of that hole by for instance playing a through ball there, the Cover defender will not "change lanes" in order to intercept.

This basically renders Cover/Stopper relationships useless in the game unless you play very narrowly. However, if you have one "dumb" but powerful stopper and one "smart" and less powerful but quicker stopper having the exact same instructions, they will be Cover/Stopper for all intents and purposes but there will be much less negative consequences than when they have different instructions. If anything, the smaller stopper might lose more challenges and that could be dangerous.

that is very insightful.

Archived