Playing players in positions that is not their natural position?

I'm playing with Chelsea and i just have a quick question: Eden Hazard's best position is AMC. He seems to do ok also at AML, but as a AMR he seldom plays well even though he is accomplished there.

How much do I loose playing a player in a position that is accomplished versus natural in that position?

Also, can I train a player from accomplished to natural in a position?

I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me about this, since I am afraid playing players out of their natural positions.

/ Martin

You don't lose that much in all honesty, the difference is minimal. His decision making and positioning will be slightly reduced.

You can retrain some players to natural but it depends on the players hidden attributes if this is possible or not.

From natural to accomplished though the difference isn't even visible....

Sometimes though, the built-in star ratings can vary quite wildly depending on players' familiarity with different positions. Even with accomplished to natural, I've seen ratings vary by half a star.

Are you suggesting that those are misleading?

Those star ratings also take into account what the attribute distribution is "best" for the position. So you can't directly compare ML and AML being out by half a star and say it's familiarity, because what the game considers ideal attributes for the two positions aren't the same.

My opinion is I'll play a player who is red in a position while he's learning it. I'm sure the reported penalty to mental attributes is correct, but it seems quite small, a player with good attributes for a position will do just fine there no matter what. I think the benefit of players tending to gain attributes in the right areas for their position is the only real reason to retrain.

Those star ratings also take into account what the attribute distribution is "best" for the position. So you can't directly compare ML and AML being out by half a star and say it's familiarity, because what the game considers ideal attributes for the two positions aren't the same.

Well, the thread in general is about whether you can play people out of position, so whether it's because of familiarity or slight changes in distribution requirements, the point still stands.

Hazard cuts inside, right? That is why he does not performers well on the amr. People need to look at ppm's to see how a player Will perform. And his natural foot too.

This is also a major factor however don't be lost too much in something like this. Depending on other factors a player who cuts inside and has a strong foot may actually play better on their "traditional" side of the pitch. This can limit the amount of cut-ins if you're finding someone overdoing it too much.

I always employ players in positions where they're only accomplished, just have a look at their attributse and see if they have the right skills to cover the position you chose for them.

Attributes are the most vital thing you should look at, of course you could improve their skills distribution through a dedicated training process.

Well, the thread in general is about whether you can play people out of position, so whether it's because of familiarity or slight changes in distribution requirements, the point still stands.

Not necessarily, what the game considers key attributes for the position is very generic and may not take into account exactly what you want your player to do there. A short pacey winger being played in the striker position may well be a very good poacher, but they're unlikely to be a good target man, yet the game will give you a star rating based on generic striker, which will under/over-estimate how well they'll perform.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived