Use real players

Just a quick question to see what other peoples views are on this.

Do you prefer playing the game with the real players, or do you challenge yourself an untick the use real players box and play the game with generated players?

I have always used real players but am considering playing a game not using real players when i get my copy of FM 13.

What are everyone else's views on this?

i haven't tried not using real players for a while but it kind of ruined it for me when you could find a midfield right centre at LA Galaxy called Jimmy Smith great passer/crossing, no dribbling/pace, who was English with his favourite clubs listed as Man Utd and Real Madrid. His favourite personnel was Gary Neville/Alex Ferguson as his mates and not posh spice. Otherwise could have sworn I'd never have guessed who he was.

If they've improved on that since, as in not just given a character in-game a random name of his nationality then I'll go for it. Definitely. Makes for different game.

Yea, it's very easy to spot the real players in a "non real player" save, if you want that experience you could load up the leagues you want and holiday through to 2030 or something, either that or get a save from one of the challenge threads that starts in the distant future - I'm sure there'll be one in there somewhere.

Fake players all the time, every time. I find you start to judge players based on their actual ability and performance in game rather than on their "real world" reputation.

Same for me. I only ever really have one game going and I always use fake players as my prejudices against real players affect my decisions. You do sometimes get an incredible 16 year old from San Marino who you can snap up from Al Ahli for £500k. Making it less easy to spot which fake player was generated from whom (as stated above) would be better though.

Fake players all the time, every time. I find you start to judge players based on their actual ability and performance in game rather than on their "real world" reputation.

But isn't that a real part of being a football manager? Being prejudiced by media opinion, reputation, transfer sums etc.?

I love the idea, but as stated it doesn't really work in practice, since it's fairly obvious who all the big players are. From that point onwards, I just find it a bit nauseating, as I know that someone is Lionel Messi, or Wayne Rooney, and I'm constantly translating in my head every time their fake name comes up on the screen. Also, the game appears to delete all of their histories, so you get a 29 year old striker at a club, who apparently began his career at 29 in the Premership.

If everyone was randomly generated, I'd find it a lot more valuable.

Always fake players. It just feels more immersive to me, can't properly enjoy using real players. Since I mostly begin in a low rep league I don't get as bothered by the big-name players having obvious real life counterparts. :thup:

I'm the sort that also prefers when all the players are regens too, there's something special for me about finding a gem and being the only one to manage them, something I don't really feel with real players. I also like the challenge of fake players, you have to work out their strengths and weaknesses by their attributes and performances, free from any real-world bias. :)

I love the idea, but as stated it doesn't really work in practice, since it's fairly obvious who all the big players are. From that point onwards, I just find it a bit nauseating, as I know that someone is Lionel Messi, or Wayne Rooney, and I'm constantly translating in my head every time their fake name comes up on the screen. Also, the game appears to delete all of their histories, so you get a 29 year old striker at a club, who apparently began his career at 29 in the Premership.

If everyone was randomly generated, I'd find it a lot more valuable.

This.

Being able to spot who they are so easily completely ruins the point of doing it for me.

The only time i ever used it was in FM09 when you could 'release all people from contracts' in the editor, that made quite a good challenge when you didnt recognise any player names but as the AI would decide to sign 3 world class keepers and just 2 midfielders even those games didnt last long!

I prefer real players for the added immersion. A game-world of fake players doesn't appeal to me as much. Also I like the aspect of learning a lot about the football world. More than just once I could surprise people by knowing the strengths and weaknesses of really obscure players ;)

Of course, if you play various saves throughout a version, things can become quite tedious and for very wide range of clubs the same players will qualify as the most suitable signings, which makes it fairly repetitive and a bit too easy as well.

What I do to counter these issues is to start a new game, but then holiday through the first 3 or 4 seasons before adding myself in and actually starting my save. The game world has the already evolved, every time there are other players available, there are the first newgens good enough to make it into the first teams and the development of clubs always create interesting challenges. I often prefer to go for a club that has dropped various divisions since the start or which was promoted from a non-playable league since. :thup:

When the game is new I start with real players in season one. Towards the end of its life-span, I start with real players and holiday 5-6 seasons into the future so that new players have entered the game and the game-world has changed a bit. After the last patch I don't like starting in season one anymore because all the clubs have extremely un-gelled squads and there are usually several players I can't get rid of because they "have recently joined".

I have tried starting with fake players, but never seem to gain any affinity with anything in those saves. This is strange because after 10 years all the players are "fake" anyway and I love playing with regens-only in my squads. I think the reason for this may be that 5-10 years into a real-players-save things have changed a bit but the core of the game-world remains the same, and any differences are the result of things that actually happened. A fake-players-save have had things happening to it at random, and for no reason. A good analogy is A) you take the cereal and the milk and the jam. Then you put the cereal into a bowl, splat a couple of spoons of jam on it and then pour the milk over it. Yay! Breakfast!... and B) you open the door to the kitchen and on the table there is a bowl of cereal and no-one else is around. Do you eat it?

On my Gillingham game on FM12 I signed a 34 year old Wayne Rooney after his release from Manchester United. He wasn't close to my starting XI, but I just wanted him to play at Gillingham! He played against the relegation fodder and other weak teams, and also played all the cup games (Except Champions League). Coming in to the last game of the season, and with 2nd place guaranteed, and no chance of the title, I brought Rooney on for the last 25 minutes and in the 87th minute he scored his first (and last) goal for the club.

As a Gills fan in real life, I highly doubt that we'll ever sign Rooney ;) but at least in this virtual world, he played and scored for us!

Has to be real players for me, for moments like I mentioned above. I wouldn't have even bothered to Sign Fred Blogs even if he was actually a rebadged Wayne Rooney.

....I'm the sort that also prefers when all the players are regens too, there's something special for me about finding a gem and being the only one to manage them, something I don't really feel with real players. I also like the challenge of fake players, you have to work out their strengths and weaknesses by their attributes and performances, free from any real-world bias. :)

This for me as well. Much prefer the game when all the real players are gone/retired. It's how "use real players" unticked should be if that feature worked properly. :)

As others have mentioned, when I start my game with fake players, I always holiday for the first season, then take over a club on June 1st. Then I have at least one season for things to settle and for players to gain match stats.

I always start with real players but try and get my team to all fake players as quick as possible, I hate looking at the shadow pictures. I usually skip year 1 also.

This time around I will start with fake players and may or not skip season. I enjoy managing the fake players much more, I will fall in love with some of them but never do with real players.

Archived