rancer890's FM13 Small Club to Big Club Asian Challenge

Welcome to Season 6 of the Small Club to Big Club Asian Challenge. I was slightly disappointed with the turnout in FM12, but hopefully FM13 will be a rebound year for the Asian challenge. My passion for Asian football hasn't wavered despite the lack of participation, so hopefully more people are willing to try out this challenge and experience the wonders of Asian football. :)

The Aim: The rules are identical to the previous years. There will be two options to completing this challenge, somewhat like 2 in game difficulties, 'easy' and 'hard'.

Method 1:

1. Take your team to domestic glory (win a league title in the highest league)
  2. Take your team to continental glory (win the AFC Champions League)
  3. Take your team to global glory (win the FIFA Club World Cup)
  4. Challenge Complete!

Method 2:

(the first 3 steps are identical)

1. (step 4) - Take your country to continental glory (win the Asian Cup)
  2. (step 5) - Take your country to world glory (win the World Cup)
  3. (step 6) - Win the FIFA Confederations Cup
  4. Challenge complete!

Method 2 is obviously the much harder achievement, and really if you can win on 'hard' difficulty, you deserve it! But even winning Method 1 is a great achievement, because it is a requirement to win the FIFA Club World Cup.

The Setup:

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) have recently updated the Final Assessment Rankings for 2012, and thus these are the teams eligible for this year's challenge:

(Please Note, Bold represents leagues that are already in the game.)

West Asia

[TABLE=class: grid]

[TR]

[TD]Member Association (# of clubs in top division)[/TD]

[TD]ACL Group Stage Spots[/TD]

[TD]ACL Playoff Spots[/TD]

[TD]AFC Cup Group Stage Spots[/TD]

[TD]AFC Cup Playoff Spots[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Qatar (12)[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]United Arab Emirates (12)[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Saudi Arabia (14)[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Uzbekistan (14)[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Iran (18)[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Syria (14)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]India (14) [/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Kuwait (8)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Iraq (36)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Jordan (12)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Oman (12)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lebanon (12)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Maldives (8)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Yemen (14)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

East Asia

[TABLE=class: grid]

[TR]

[TD]Member Association[/TD]

[TD]ACL Group Stage[/TD]

[TD]ACL Playoff Spots[/TD]

[TD]AFC Cup Group Stage[/TD]

[TD]AFC Cup Playoff Spots[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Japan (18)[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]South Korea (16)[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]China (16)[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Australia (10)[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Thailand (18)[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Indonesia (18)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vietnam (14)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hong Kong (10)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Singapore (12)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Malaysia (14)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Myanmar (12)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

NOTE: You might not be able to enter the Champions League with an AFC Cup side so please start off in a country eligible for ACL competition.

Another part of difficulty is choosing which league you start in. Obviously, starting in South Korea will be harder than Malaysia in completing the challenge. With closed system leagues, please holiday one season, and then choose the worst team in the league. In South Korea, promotion and relegation is phased in, so you can start in the K-League or N-League, it's your choice. In Australia, New Zealand club Wellington Phoenix are ineligible to participate in the ACL, but usually in FM they're eligible, and for FM13 I'm assuming the same.

The nations eligible for the AFC Cup may only participate in the AFC Champions League every other year if they are one of the two finalists in the AFC Cup competition. This is hardcoded.

XML Files:

Updated for FM13 -

Kuwait

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Thailand

United Arab Emirates

All of the above + Iran, Japan (no players), Uzbekistan

Getting Started:

(new rules in bold)

1. Start a new game
  2. Select any league combinations you want. New for the FM13, I am allowing players to play this challenge as part of your career game (obviously, you will have to load at least one . However, you will have holiday one season in the league you want to manage in. You can even try my challenge in the future, however, you must have that league loaded from the start (I still wouldn't trust the add/remove leagues feature yet...) and you won't have to holiday a season.
  3. Enable Attribute masking
  4. Use fake players optional
  5. Your starting manager must be Sunday League Footballer or Automatic

League reset dates (will be updated)

• China - January 20th
  • India - July 15th
  • Indonesia - July 30th
  • Malaysia - December 14th

Rules

Not a lot:

• no cheating
  • if you're sacked, holiday to the rest of the season and select a new club
  • you can manage your club and country at any time
  • have fun
  • please tell everyone you know about this challenge. It's fun
  • Signing players - please scout them or trial them before signing them

Update Styles

I don't really care. But usually a season update is good enough for me, although you can post more often if you wish.

News about Asian football

This part has absolutely nothing to do with this challenge, but as an Asian and a casual (I really only keep up with Asian news through the interwebs) supporter of Guangzhou Hengda and Guangdong Rizhiquan, here's some links for now:

Asian Football Feast - Predominantly a blog about Southeast Asia.

Football in Asia

Final Words

I just hope everyone who participates has a lot of fun in my challenge. I love the Asian leagues. I follow them in real life whenever I can and in FM I always start in Asia (if there are leagues loaded in the region). I hope with a taste of Asian management in FM, you can also appreciate Asian football. GAME ON!!!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Challenge Standings

With the introduction of the Leaderboard, I would like to add a challenge standings. Since the game isn't out yet, I'm not too sure about the specifics, but this will end the debate of the best challenger (hopefully) :lol:

Please post proof of your standing after every season and it'll be added here.

End of Year Tournament

With the introduction of having user teams in network games, I am also interested in the first annual CSE Asian Tournament. More information to follow during actual release. Preliminary date for the tournament in June-July-August 2013.

This will be determined whether there's enough participants in the challenge though.

Tournament seeding will be based on the Challenge Standings.

You can post now. I just have one wish. Get more posts and interest than the FM12 challenge.. :p

I'll be diving right in after school today. :thup:

We'll do our best to make that happen for you. Got my own challenge to deal with first, then I'll be heading over here.

I'm going to give this a crack this year as promised. ;) Just trying to decide where... India is appealing though the lack of a direct ACL place will make it harder (does the allocation of places change in-game like the UEFA coifficients?), Australia is also a possibility or I may wait a while for a UAE, Qatar or Thailand update. We'll see ;)

Will definately give this a go this year.

Thanks Peter G. Hope you're participating soon!

I'm going to give this a crack this year as promised. ;) Just trying to decide where... India is appealing though the lack of a direct ACL place will make it harder (does the allocation of places change in-game like the UEFA coifficients?), Australia is also a possibility or I may wait a while for a UAE, Qatar or Thailand update. We'll see ;)

The allocations don't change, that's why I posted up the CL spots for everyone to see so they can decide which country to manage in.

Back into this, with a team that I relegated two years ago, Johor SAJ. Will try to do better this year :-)

Manager profile.

Good luck pl-fikander! What's the season reset date for Malaysia?

So if we did this we could load as many leagues as we wanted?

T24

Yes. I don't know if loading more than one league makes you ineligible for their challenges, but for mine, you can load any leagues you want, but you have to manage with a newly promoted Asian club after one year of holidaying.

Time to head off to China!

39058.png

Hebei Zhongji

Ricky Nakano is off to Hebei (北) Zhongji! It's southwest of two of the largest cities in the country in Beijing and Tianjin. The team plays in the provincial capital of Shijazhuang.

The transfer budget is $15.43k, while the wage budget is $1.07 million, and current wages are around half that amount. The team plays in the 37,000 seater Yutong International Sports Centre. Safe to say we probably won't be filling that up in the 2013 season.

Still Dec 14th.

Cheers. Added to OP.

Rancer - Will be interesting to see how long Drogba & Anelka stay in China. Are they still there after you've holidayed or have they moved on?

Drogba and Anelka are still with Shanghai Shenhua. I'm also relieved that Conca and Lucas Barrios are still with Guangzhou Evergrande. So that aspect has been improved (for now). I'll be more interesting if they can throw big money to players down the road.

Just nearly a third through the season at the club. We've been leaky at the back (like blowing 4 leads to draw 4-4 for example :D) despite my efforts to shore up the back 4 at the club (which I did on transfer deadline day), as well as making defense the main focus all pre-season, and season training...

I saw an option on player search this year. (Filter Out Not Scoutable Players) It will be more fair...

I think I will try malaysia too... I am not ready for my main journeyman save yet I think...

As long as you can get a scout report on them, I'll be ok with it.

Drogba and Anelka are still with Shanghai Shenhua. I'm also relieved that Conca and Lucas Barrios are still with Guangzhou Evergrande. So that aspect has been improved (for now). I'll be more interesting if they can throw big money to players down the road.

Just nearly a third through the season at the club. We've been leaky at the back (like blowing 4 leads to draw 4-4 for example :D) despite my efforts to shore up the back 4 at the club (which I did on transfer deadline day), as well as making defense the main focus all pre-season, and season training...

Good to hear that they're still there and not made the jump somewhere else straight away, sort of gives you hope that you might be able to attract some top level players their yourself.

2/3s through the season, and Hebei Zhongji are in a good position (which is as far from relegation as possible! Or more like midtable-ish in the 16 team league). Hopefully I can finish it up tonight and post an end of season update. :)

If you're going to play in China, I would like to know if there is this parallel in your save from mine: Shanghai Shenhua have gone in and out of administration a few times (mainly because of the wages of their 2 French strikers). I'm not too sure about the ins and outs of the club (their owner has pumped in over US$60 million into the club past few years. Still nowhere near beating Guangzhou Hengda though), but they are last in my game and will probably be relegated because they have been selling players for discount prices.

Johor SAJ - 2013 End of Season Update - Malaysian Premier League

League: Table, positions graph. Ten points clear of relegation zone, but we were in danger until the penultimate game. Started slowly, with 4 points from opening 6 games, but gained some consistency in midseason, beating eventual winners USM and runners-up Kedah in progres. Last part of the season brought us five consecutive defeats and real danger of slipping back into relegation zone, but we won two last games and secured Premier League football for 2014.

Cup: 1st round penalty exit to Super League Kuala Lumpur after 2-2 draw. They had two penalties missed in extra time, but scored 5 of 5 in penalty shootout.

Fixtures, transfers.

Key players:

Su Dayu - top scorer. Still rated at 0,5* by my assman.

Demas Duon Lusong - used as a defender, solid and safe.

Goals for next season: another survival, rebuilding of the squad. Progress.

[edit] Also, I had two unrecoverable crashes and had to re-load backup saves; keep them frequent, as it seems the game is really in beta stage.

39058.png

Hebei Zhongji - Chinese Jia League - 2013 Season

Standings | Fixtures - Considering we were favourites for relegation, it was fantastic to see the club avoid relegation and finish mid table. It's a goos first season and met expectations. We were never really in clear danger to be relegated throughout this season.

Squad - It's a decent squad, but with the amount of expiring contracts, I might just not resign some of them.

Transfers - We made a lot of transfers strengthening the defense. That will still probably be my goal moving forward. Sasa Mus was the best of the bunch.

Key Player: Yuan Mingcan - a very important player on the team. I'm hoping to resign him. He was consistent for most of the year.

Youth Projects:

YP1 - Yin Haibo - Very high on this guy. He has very good attributes and with a bit of development, he can be a leading CB for us.

Goals:

• Get a lot more of them (last in the Jia League in goals scored)
  • Avoid the sophomore jinx
  • Start to develop a nucleus on the team, since I would much want to allocate the current financial resources to better players but I'm stuck with some of them for another year

Year        Division           Position                       Notes
2013        Jia League             11th          Avoided relegation

Congrats on survival rancer - can't ask for much more in the first season. :thup:

Having met with disappointment in my FM12 Big Euro save, I'm now going to give this a crack for the second time (I had an unfininshed attempt in Australia back on FM09). Just a couple of quick questions about the new set-up you're allowing:

I'm loading all the Asian leagues in the game but am planning to start this in India. If I complete the challenge/fail spectacularly there, is it ok to move on to another country and pick a newly-promoted team (or bottom side depending on league rules) and start again? Also, let's say I complete the club part in India - would I then be allowed to move on to a new country while still managing the Indian national side?

After that great first season, was a bunch of not so great news:

1) my wage budget cut in half :mad:

2) we got a new chairman, who has loaned $625k...

3) we don't have a lot of depth...especially at CM

I'm loading all the Asian leagues in the game but am planning to start this in India. If I complete the challenge/fail spectacularly there, is it ok to move on to another country and pick a newly-promoted team (or bottom side depending on league rules) and start again? Also, let's say I complete the club part in India - would I then be allowed to move on to a new country while still managing the Indian national side?

1) Yes, the rule was specifically designed for players to jump into a newly promoted team/bottom side in another Asian nation.

2) If you still want to manage a club team that has no affiliation with the challenge, yes you can. Once you have completed the club portion, that part is over. You don't have to be tied to a club and you're free to continue with whatever club team you wish as long as you are employed by the original nation that you started the challenge with. However, there's one minor rule:

- if you're managing in the same nation, club and country, if you are sacked, you can try to re-apply (even if you're managing a different Indian club for example, that is fine)

- if you're managing for example the Indian national team and a South Korean team, if you are sacked from the national team, then it's game over and you will have failed the country portion of the challenge.

The 'Getting sacked and restarting' part applies to club and country except in the above circumstance.

Time to Give This Challenge a Go-a...

5512167.png

...with Vasco Sports Club

I've been meaning to give this challenge a proper go for a while but never got round to it so this time I thought I should start here. I opted for India as this is a league that I've loaded a few times as part of journeyman saves but never ended up managing in. On the one hand, it will (hopefully) be quick to build up a storng team on the domestic front with only one active division of 14 teams. On the other hand, the continental part of the challenge will be tougher as I will have to go through the Confederation Cup to get to the Champions League. Still, I'm hoping I can do a good enough job to raise the profile of Indian football and get a decent national side together further down the line.

As a safety net, I've taken advantage of rancer's new rules to load all the Asian leagues with the plan being to head off to China or Australia if it doesn't work out on the sub-continent (although I realised only after holidaying that I had only selected the top tier in Malaysia :rolleyes:). I selected a large database with players from the top clubs in Asia loaded as well as players from each country's lower leagues (if they have promotion/relegation).

Of the teams who came up, Vasco was the one I wanted as they are based in Goa, which is apparently a football stronghold in India as well as a nice place to go on holiday. :cool: Here's some info about the club:

Stadium: Fatdora Stadium

Capacity: 27,300 (all-seater)

Season Ticket Holders: 801

Training Facilities: Fairly basic

Youth Facilities: Minimal

Junior Coaching: Basic

Youth Recruitment: Average

Fierce Rivals: Salgoacar, Churchill Bros, Dempo

Other Rivals: SC Goa, St. Anthony's

Transfer budget: -

Wage budget: 8k p/w

Media Prediciton: 13th

Board Expectations: Avoid relegation, learn from cup experience

At first glance, it looks tough. The squad is fairly poor especially in defence and there is a limited number of players available on frees. Also, despite being from a small island, there are four other I-League clubs here meaning getting hold of the best youth players will also be tough. I'm working my way through pre-season now and I'll be back with some updates once I've got a few competitive games under my belt.

In the meantime, here's my starting profile and information screen.

rancer - Solid first season, just a shame that the next one is going to be tough with the lower wage budget. Good luck.

It's not that bad Razer. Unlike England, I can loan an unlimited amount of players, so I'm finding anyone I can to fill out my squad. :D

And good luck DodgeeD! Several people have managed with Vasco SC over the years, with mixed results. Hope you can (eventually) bring 'em to the top!

We'll see what I can do. :) Attracting players has been a problem so far (although I did manage something of a transfer coup but more of that in my next update!) I've also fallen foul of the foreigner rules as I thought I was allowed 3 non-Asians in the matchday squad (that's what the league rules say) but more at the club but it turns out I can only register 3 in the squad. I had to leave one striker out so he's now on 500 pounds p/w for nothing. :(

Pre-season and the cups produced mixed results but I think we can keep our heads above water.

We'll see what I can do. :) Attracting players has been a problem so far (although I did manage something of a transfer coup but more of that in my next update!) I've also fallen foul of the foreigner rules as I thought I was allowed 3 non-Asians in the matchday squad (that's what the league rules say) but more at the club but it turns out I can only register 3 in the squad. I had to leave one striker out so he's now on 500 pounds p/w for nothing. :(

Pre-season and the cups produced mixed results but I think we can keep our heads above water.

Yeah, you really have to understand the league rules in each league. They're different than the ACL foreigner restrictions. Some leagues have identical rules as the continental competition, but the HK league for example, you're allowed 6 foreigners in the league but less than that in the AFC Cup.

I remember that from my time at Tai Po on FM10. It seems the Indian rules are the same as AFC ones though and I will be making an effort to bring some youth players through (as always!)

The rules change every year so much that even I have trouble keeping up with them. I checked the ACL rules and I think they only allow 4 foreigners instead of 5 now.

I've had a decent start - went out of both cups in the groups stage but won a couple of games against fellow NFL sides. Followed that up with two wins out of two so far in the league :thup:

Will probably now go on a losing streak when I reload tomorrow :D

Something new I've come across in FM13 - while the press conferences are depressingly familiar, I've just had a player come to me with the usual 'concern' about wanting to move to a bigger club. When I told him I have plans for the club, he asked me 'what plans?' My options were win the title, win a cup, qualify for the ACL or win the ACL. I went for a cup win and he asked how long it would take. I now have until the end of next season to challenge for a cup or he's off!

Something new I've come across in FM13 - while the press conferences are depressingly familiar, I've just had a player come to me with the usual 'concern' about wanting to move to a bigger club. When I told him I have plans for the club, he asked me 'what plans?' My options were win the title, win a cup, qualify for the ACL or win the ACL. I went for a cup win and he asked how long it would take. I now have until the end of next season to challenge for a cup or he's off!

That's a nice touch! Much better than just saying that the club can grow / be successful.

That's a nice touch! Much better than just saying that the club can grow / be successful.
Yeah, towards the end on FM12 I was getting sick of the whole 'I've gone public with my desire to leave'-->'I see you as part of my plans'-->'I'm happy to stay' convo. This was a nice surprise - I'm sure I'll get bored of this one soon as well though :D

Maybe I won't be ignoring the 'move to a bigger club' conversations anymore! :D

Shocking at the start of the second season, first game against Shenhua, beat Drogba and a bunch of below average players. Drogba playing in the Chinese Jia League!

Just played Indian Arrows at the 120,000 capacity Salt Lake Stadium. Attendance? 2,512 :D

On a side note, I've nearly played a full season now and have a few thoughts on the new game. Overall, I like it (as I like any FM game!) but I have a few gripes. In terms of the match engine, there are too many 'but he never meant it goals' or crosses that end up hitting the bar and bouncing in off the keeper (I've both benefitted from and been on the wrong end of those). I also seem to hit the woodwork a hell of a lot (but that might have been coded in after Liverpool's real life performances last season :D)

Those things happen and are usually fixed in the first patch though meaning my main gripe is the redesigned interface. Of course, it will take a little getting used to but there are things I just don't like. For example, when I click on a result, I want to see the match overview and not be taken to the match report highlights. Even when I find the overview, it's now a three coloumn split view rather than the old two with the nice club badges on display (maybe the opiton is there but I haven't seen it yet... Hope so!)

But I do like the DoF (he's mcuh better at finding decent Indian players than me!) and simplified (yet more realistic) training. Haven't really looked at the possibility of a head of youth role yet. Maybe next season :)

Just played Indian Arrows at the 120,000 capacity Salt Lake Stadium. Attendance? 2,512 :D

On a side note, I've nearly played a full season now and have a few thoughts on the new game. Overall, I like it (as I like any FM game!) but I have a few gripes. In terms of the match engine, there are too many 'but he never meant it goals' or crosses that end up hitting the bar and bouncing in off the keeper (I've both benefitted from and been on the wrong end of those). I also seem to hit the woodwork a hell of a lot (but that might have been coded in after Liverpool's real life performances last season :D)

Those things happen and are usually fixed in the first patch though meaning my main gripe is the redesigned interface. Of course, it will take a little getting used to but there are things I just don't like. For example, when I click on a result, I want to see the match overview and not be taken to the match report highlights. Even when I find the overview, it's now a three coloumn split view rather than the old two with the nice club badges on display (maybe the opiton is there but I haven't seen it yet... Hope so!)

But I do like the DoF (he's mcuh better at finding decent Indian players than me!) and simplified (yet more realistic) training. Haven't really looked at the possibility of a head of youth role yet. Maybe next season :)

Yes, the ME isn't an improvement from last year. Crosses are becoming shots on goal or hitting the woodwork. Goals being scored from ridiculous angles. Too much scoring.

Agree with the match overview thing as well.

And I do have a DoF, but I'm still doing the transfers myself, mainly because that's my favourite part of FM. :)

Another slight annoyance on the staff front - I just lost both my scouts (and they were good scouts too) because the Chief Scout didn't want to sign a new deal and the other scout would only sign if he could be promoted to Chief Scout. However, the board kept blocking that move because we already had someone in that role. I couldn't sack the current Chief Scout without paying him off and in the end, they both left on May 31st. :mad:

Also lost my assistant manager as he didn't want to stay - not a gripe with the game but it is different from my past experiences on FM where staff were generally happy to stay for a small pay increase.

Anyway, season 1 is complete - report coming later on today. :thup:

Vasco de Gama 2013/14 Season Review

5512167.png

Quick Overview

Durand Cup: Group Stage

Federation Cup: Group Stage

Cup Results

I-League: 8th

2014IndianNationalFootballLeague_Profile-2.png

A decent first season then especially considering the lack of depth in the squad. The cups were tough with only the top side qualifying from each group meaning a second placed finish in both competitions was not enough to advance. By the time the league started, my squad had clicked and the tactics were working (we played a 4-4-1-1 most of the season) as we surged to the top of the league. I always had a feeling it wouldn’t last though and the inevitable mid-season slump came. A few tactical tweaks (making my full backs and wingers more attack minded) helped turned things round and we finished with a good run as well, allowing me to pick up my second manager of the month award. In the end, I was happy with 8th and points wise we were much closer to the top than the relegation spots. With a few astute signings, I feel we can challenge the top sides soon.

Transfers

No budget meant I had to do some wheeling and dealing for free players. By far the biggest transfer coup was the signing of Indian international Jewel Raja, who was our creative force in the AMC role and it’s no coincidence that the mid-season loss of form came when he was injured. Ravinder Singh was the other key signing, although that deal was arranged before I came to the club. Muhammad Aurangzeb, a Pakistani midifielder, was another promising signing and he will hopefully build on his good start in his first full season.

Transfer summary – all incoming deals with fees were arranged by the previous manager.

Key Players

Apart from new boys Raja and Singh, the following players were key for us:

Rowlin Borges (MC) – very consistent in the middle of the park and called up to the India squad by the end of the season.

Tirthankar Sarkar (MR) – primarily played on the right wing but was often used as cover elsewhere.

Jovel Martins (ML) – a creative force on the left wing.

Igor (ST) – didn’t score as many as I would have liked but was still far and away our biggest goalscoring threat.

Youth Players

Our first youth intake provided a couple of promising players, whom I hope will be regular first teamers one day:

Dominic Johnson (MC/AMC) – now the youngest ever player to appear for the club.

Lino D’Silva (AMC/MLC) – a lot of work to be done but could be a good plater for us.

The Season Ahead

I need to overhaul the club a bit as several players are leaving and quite a few staff are going also. We need new centre backs and a new striker as cover for Igor but with the club about 100k in the red, we will have to do it with no transfer budget again. Still, if I can find the right players, I think we can build on this season’s promising start.

The Story So Far…

[font=courier new][b]Season  | I-League | Durand Cup  | Fed. Cup    | Continental | Other Achievements[/b][/font]
[font=courier new]--------|----------|-------------|-------------|-------------|-------------------
2013-14 |[/font][font=courier new] 8th      | Group Stage | Group Stage | N/A[/font][font=courier new]         | Stayed up![/font]

Archived