Razer82's FM13 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge

Razer82’s FM13 Small Club to Big Club Americas Challenge

The Aim

To take a previously unplayable team from the lower leagues of a nation from the Americas to their domestic title, the Copa Libertadores or NACL and then onto the Club World Cup! These do not have to be won in the same season.

The Club World Cup has been added to the challenge in order to bring the USA in as a playable nation. A game with just winning the NACL could be over rather quickly with a side from the MLS so an extra degree of difficulty has been added for longevity.

The Setup

Leagues that can be used:- Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay, USA

Reputations of Leagues eligible for this challenge - To be updated.

Argentina 130

Brazil 150

Chile 112

Colombia 108

Mexico 130

Peru 98

Uruguay 103

USA 116

Getting Started

Load all the available division within the nation you select (Only one nation is allowed)

A Large database should be selected (Although you are free to use other database sizes if you wish to)

Attribute Masking should be enabled.

You can load all players from the nation that you have selected to manage in and also select the option to load players from the Top Clubs in the continent but NO other additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn’t make any difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed Manager, the details of which are unimportant.

Then go on holiday until the new seasons teams are generated, see below for actual dates, and select one of the newly promoted teams.

League Reset Dates - Correct as of FM11

Argentina - 15th July

Brazil - 3rd January - Save 1 - Save 2

Chile - 1st January

Colombia - 10th January

Mexico - 20th July

Peru - 28th January

Uruguay - 1st July

USA - 27th December - Toronto Save

These reset dates have been taken from profiles loaded for the previous version of this challenge, so may not be 100% accurate, if you find that one is not correct, please let me know and I'll update the list.

Then retire your original manager profile.

Add a new manager with the experience set to ‘Sunday League Footballer’, or if that is not available then ‘Automatic’.

Take over one of the clubs newly promoted into the lowest division within your selected nation. If you are unsure about which clubs have been promoted then check the clubs’ history of league positions, it should be blank.

It is now up to you to manage the club to their domestic title, the Copa Libertadores or NACL and then onto the Club World Cup.

You are not permitted to move between clubs unless you are sacked; If you are sacked, you can either take over at another club the meet the original challenge criteria or just quit the current save and start again.

Any form of international management is not allowed until the challenge has been completed.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder / parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the 'Get scout report' button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad member to recommend a new signing, It is then ok to sign him as the player who recommended him knows of him anyway.

No external utilities should be used and the database should be un-edited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the date you take control at your new club.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), so please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Good luck to everyone taking part this year.

****As per a player request, I'm adding in the use of league edits for other nations. Was something that I thought I already done, but it appears not. ****

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fingers crossed you get the team you're after.

Once my download is done, I'm off to Brazil. Got some unfinished business from last year.

Aww yeah :)

Holidaying Brazil right now.

I've been re-reading issues of The Blizzard over the last few weeks, which has inspired me to start a save in Northern Brazil on this version. I've never taken on one of these challenges, but I've lurked for a few years. Hope to get a good start later today!

I've been re-reading issues of The Blizzard over the last few weeks, which has inspired me to start a save in Northern Brazil on this version. I've never taken on one of these challenges, but I've lurked for a few years. Hope to get a good start later today!

Welcome to the challenge :) good luck

Welcome!

Nice to have you here.

I want to return to this one on FM13 - it's been four versions since I completed the challenge in Mexico on FM09 :)

But where? Mexico was fun but I fancy somewhere different. I've managed in MLS, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina on careers before so maybe Chile this time...

And when? Need to decide whether to do this or rancer's first. I'm open to persuasive tactics :D

I want to return to this one on FM13 - it's been four versions since I completed the challenge in Mexico on FM09 :)

But where? Mexico was fun but I fancy somewhere different. I've managed in MLS, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina on careers before so maybe Chile this time...

And when? Need to decide whether to do this or rancer's first. I'm open to persuasive tactics :D

No persuasion here, just start playing my challenge. ;)

I'm glad this is still going for this year. Last years thread was a bit quiet :( I don't have the demo (might be a while before I can get the full version too) but I will be here at some point and hopefully the thread this year is busier as it is a fun challenge.

We'll still be here when you've got a copy of the game.

You can load all players from the nation that you have selected to manage in and also select the option to load players from the Top Clubs in the continent but NO other additional players from any nation should be loaded.

Can I load top players from Canada and the US in MLS, along with top players in North America? The tin says USA, but I see 3 Canadian teams in MLS... :D

MLS - Toronto FC

Here I have uploaded the file where TFC finish last after the first season. Note that this file has all players loaded from Canada as well as the US (I could always start another save and load just the US players if necessary). FC Dallas and Chivas USA were really close, but managed to finish 1 point ahead of TFC. :D

Good luck in Brazil Razer! :thup:
brush up his pace razer and you could have a cracker there.

Thanks guys. All seems to be going well so far, won the first 5 games of the state championship but seeing as the team have won the last 3 it shouldn't be too difficult.

MLS - Toronto FC

Here I have uploaded the file where TFC finish last after the first season. Note that this file has all players loaded from Canada as well as the US (I could always start another save and load just the US players if necessary). FC Dallas and Chivas USA were really close, but managed to finish 1 point ahead of TFC. :D

From my understanding, don't you need to have a certain number of Canadian players for Toronto anyway? So retaining those players should be fine.

130px-Club_tiro_federal.png

Vikeologist's Start of Game Hello

I gave up on getting Maipu, and have taken over Tiro Federal who are based in Rosario, Argentina.

Eager to get on with the game, but hopefully I can do my little bit to help this thread take off this year. I've done Euro Challenges (Dafuge's and Big Euro) the last couple of years, so hopefully this will be fun and a little different. I think Tiro are a medium difficulty option. They seem to have a bit of potential, but they didn't come up very often in the reloads, so maybe they're quite low rep.

Ok cool, I'm keeping this then. :)

Good luck rancer - I still have fond memories of my time at TFC back on FM10 :thup:

Are you going to run games for this challenge and your own simultaneously? I'm considering doing the same. :)

Yes, that is my plan! :D

It's actually never really worked out for me before (managing two saves at once), but I hope this can be an exception.

200px-Toronto_FC_Logo.svg.png

Toronto FC

TORONTO - After finishing the 2012 MLS regular season with 30 points (7W - 9D - 18L) in 34 games, head coach Paul Mariner has been fired from the position, lasting less than a season after Aron Winter was fired that horrible start. "We feel that we need a fresh start, with fresh ideas," said chairman Tom Anselmi, "it's been very disappointing of the progress we made since we joined the MLS, and we will look to actively change that."

In comes Ricky Nakano, avid TFC fan, and entering management for the first time. "I'm really excited about joining Toronto FC as their next head coach," he stated, "I hope to bring new ideas, and most importantly, have forward progress, which includes for the short term, evaluating the current group of players and seeing which ones should be kept for the long term, getting better results, and ultimately, the playoffs and the MLS Cup. The Canadian Cup competition and the Champions League are also very important for us."

"I will be working with the coaching staff, and Director of Soccer Earl Cochrane in due course after my initial evaluation of the club."

-----

The team is crap. It might have trouble beating the real life version... (CA/PA)

GK - Milos Kocic (3.5/3.5), Kyle Reynish (2/2), Dominic Cervi (1.5/1.5), Quinlian Roberts (1/4)

This group isn't too bad. Kocic is a capable starter, and Reynish and Cervi are good backups. Roberts should get loaned out with the help of my DoF.

D - Brad Evans (4/4), Richard Eckersley (3.5/3.5), Ashtone Morgan (2.5/4), Adrian Cann (2.5/2.5), Amobi Okuago (2.5/4), Dicoy Williams (2/2), Jed Zayner (2/2), Doneil Henry CAN/JAM (1.5/4)

A bit average as a whole. Morgan (21), Okuago (21), and Henry (19) are going have to be thrown into the fire...Cann, Zayner and Williams are decent backups, not starters

M - Joao Plata (3.5/4.5), Torsten Frings (3.5/3.5), Terry Dunfield (3/3), Jaime Peters (2/2), Marcelo Saragosa (2/2), Khari Stephenson (2/2), Matt Stinson (1.5/4)

It decent depth. Plata should return from Ecuador in a few days, but Frings is getting old, Dunfield is ok, and the rest need improvement. Stinson would be beneficial playing regular first team football, but if not, I wouldn't mind keeping him.

F - Eric Hassli (4/4), Danny Koevermans (3.5/3.5), Soony Saad (2/3.5), Andrew Wiedeman (2/3)

Hassli and Koevermans are a good pairing, but we better hope they aren't injured in 2013 for long periods of time...

--

In short, we have potential good players, but we're still going to lose a lot of games with this current group.

Draft Picks

It's brilliant that when I take over, the worst team in the league doesn't have its own first round pick! Which means we're going to still suck next year.... :D

(until I got this offer:

To Toronto FC: 2013 MLS Superdraft 1st Round Pick (#1 overall) - our own pick, DC United's 2015 MLS Superdraft 2nd Round Pick

To DC United: GK Stefan Frei

I said yes immediately.

After thinking long and hard about which team to manage (by which I mean quickly googling all four promoted teams), I've decided to take on the challenge with...

VILHENA(RO)-BRA+LOGO.png

VILHENA EC

I'm not going to lie; part of the reason I chose this team was the sponsor's excellent mascot

Team Info

Team History

Team Squad

Manager Profile

We have a small squad with a few decent players and some room in the budget to fill out the team. Here's hoping I don't let that fox (I think it's a fox) down!

Rancer - Nice team run down, might make use of something like that myself in the future. ;) Bonus of getting your draft pick back.

TIconOA - Welcome to the challenge. I like your reason for picking the side. :)

It would have been better if we had just kept the pick instead of trading it away in the first place! :lol:

Lots of changes. Through 3 games, 2 losses and 1 draw. Our best player is (unfortunately) our first round pick. 2 goals, 2 assists in 3 games. Now I remember why I stopped watching TFC games halfway through this season! :D

Good luck viiralx, I must have reloaded about 600 times on FM12 to get one of Santa Cruz or Juventude and had no luck, which is odd considering they were 2 of the highest repped clubs outside the top 3 divisions :mad:

thx!, and thats funny cause I got them almost every time!

Good luck those of you doing the challenge in Brazil, ViralX.TIconOA, Razer82, I had saves a couple of years there (the second time with Santa Cruz as it happens) and it was a nightmare getting out of the bottom division because I kept losing in the end of season playoffs. Because you were allowed an unlimited number of loans, and they seemed the best available players, every season I had to completely rebuild. Are you going to go the loan route as well, or develop your own players?

Rancer - I briefly tried the MLS once and it confused the hell out of me. I really should take the time to explore it again, and I'm looking forward to your posts as a sort of acclimatisation and insight into the qabalistic mysteries of the New World.

DodgeeD- I was tempted by Chile. I lived both there and Argentina. I will be interested to hear what clubs come up most often if you're able to scribble them down, but hopefully I can learn to love the Rosariocinos.

vikeologist Thanks :) Iv been dedicated to Brazil since FM07.. I made a rule for my self after FM10.. Do not loan players unless really needed..

I have heavy focus on Youth development and signing players at age 15-16.. Max age is 21 unless im desperate.

DodgeeD- I was tempted by Chile. I lived both there and Argentina. I will be interested to hear what clubs come up most often if you're able to scribble them down, but hopefully I can learn to love the Rosariocinos.
Holidaying from Jan 2012 to Jan 2013, the teams that keep coming up are either Deportes Temuco or Osorno (only one teams comes up). I've reloaded about ten times and those are the only two so far.

Holidaying from Jan 2012 to Jan 2013, the teams that keep coming up are either Deportes Temuco or Osorno (only one teams comes up). I've reloaded about ten times and those are the only two so far.

If B teams aren't allowed to come up, then I think there's only 6 possible clubs anyway; the others being Arturo Fernández Vial, Deportes Copiapó , Deportes Melipilla and Iberia.

Rancer - I briefly tried the MLS once and it confused the hell out of me. I really should take the time to explore it again, and I'm looking forward to your posts as a sort of acclimatisation and insight into the qabalistic mysteries of the New World.

No problem. I usually post a bit more info on MLS as a whole in my updates because no one really knows about it...it's a lot different than the usual football league.

And judging by your location, you should head over to another challenge try to take a newly promoted Chinese team to the top of the world.... :D

And judging by your location, you should head over to another challenge try to take a newly promoted Chinese team to the top of the world.... :D

I might, if one of the Ningbo sides were in the third tier division (I don't think they are, but given that they're roughly Sunday league status, I'd have to look in the game) and thus playable in the challenge.

Anyway, I doubt that Football Manager is an authentic representation of Chinese football. You'd need to have tables showing how much each referee has taken in bribes, and your contract negotiations would be with them rather than players. Of course, you'd still need to assign your key staff to take care of 'training' for your foreign import. This mostly involves taking them to prostitutes, so would need a new category unless it was part of the Fitness Coaching.

So, I'm happy to stay in Argentina, famed around the world for its freedom from corruption.:p

vikeologist Thanks :) Iv been dedicated to Brazil since FM07.. I made a rule for my self after FM10.. Do not loan players unless really needed..

I have heavy focus on Youth development and signing players at age 15-16.. Max age is 21 unless im desperate.

This is my strategy as well. I've sent out trial invitations to about 100 kids. This is my first time managing in Brazil since 2006, and the first time I've managed in the Brazilian lower leagues period, but that seems the way to go.

If B teams aren't allowed to come up, then I think there's only 6 possible clubs anyway; the others being Arturo Fernández Vial, Deportes Copiapó , Deportes Melipilla and Iberia.

I was kind of hoping to get Arturo Fernández Vial but then I saw Deportes Temuco has a cool website and big stadium. Not sure when I'll post much with this being beta and this being a long challenge I might wait until theres some more fixes.

I would have gone with Osorno as they seem to come up less frequently but then I rseacrhed the club and it seems they are currently suspended from the league irl for financial irregularities... Anyway, I've got started with the Asian challenge for now so I may have a reloading seesion every so often to see who comes up or make a new holidays save with a Jan 2013 start date to see if that makes a difference.

Hating some of the regulations in MLS atm, got a bunch of injuries but can't replace them because their salary still counts as part of the cap. Koevermans is also untradeable because I would love to be able to free up $400k in cap space to get someone better and cheaper.

My squad has actually changed a lot from my original post, but I'll post everything after the season. Going on focus on this for a bit since I finished my first season in China.

good luck with the thread this season Razer. it was bordering on criminal how quiet it was last season. hope it does better for you this year - the thread deserves it. if i get chance i will also be popping over at some point.

I'm going to have to start over.. My OS HDD crashed and I had to replace it. So holidaying new save now.

Fingers crossed this save works out for you.

good luck with the thread this season Razer. it was bordering on criminal how quiet it was last season. hope it does better for you this year - the thread deserves it. if i get chance i will also be popping over at some point.

Thanks! I'm hoping that we get some more interest this time around.

I was kind of hoping to get Arturo Fernández Vial but then I saw Deportes Temuco has a cool website and big stadium. Not sure when I'll post much with this being beta and this being a long challenge I might wait until theres some more fixes.
Just thought I'd try a couple more reloads before going to bed and Férnandez Vial came up straightaway. :cool: Think I will run this parallel to my save for rancer's challenge now :)

Archived