FM 13 ..what formation do you play?

FVti5.png

Hasn't dissapointed me in FM2012 and still hasn't dissapointed me in 2013.

I like it a lot; specially the many chances you get with it.

I play with shorter passing style and more pressure. All the rest of the options are standard.

I thought I'd start a Blackpool and I'm using a 4-5-1 with 1 DM, 2 CM and 2 AM wingers.

Was working wonders as won all 6 per season friendlies including beating Lazio but since seasons start not so great.

Until the match engine is improved we cannot tweak or design better tactics due to the amount of goals scored at either end and how dangerous crosses are.

I wanted to play with a narrow 4-3-1-2 but will wait until the above improvements are made.

I'm now a full convert to 4231 (with CM's instead of DM's). I've always played 442 as my main tactic before this edition but 4231 seems to be the real deal in the current build of the match engine. My wingers are literally scoring shed loads of goals. They've scored over 30 combined and I'm only in January! Although the AM/Trequartista isn't having such a good time of it in terms of goals.

Playing a 4231 with Newcastle, spent most of the season with a 4321 with wingers. Ben Arfa and Cisse are amazing

I am always playing 4-4-2 with AMR and AML formation and I will also play it in the Football Manager 2013.

4-4-2 baby! Considered going with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 but I missed out on a couple of attacking midfielders that I was after and managed to sign a second striker (Jon Macken) so i've got him playing upfront with David Healy in an old fogies alliance!

4-5-1 with the full backs staying back behind my wingers/inside forwards, the latter depending on the strength of the opposition defence. One defensive midfielder coupled with two centre midfielders doing the usual mopping up and support. The glory boys up front are left to do their thing. I guess really it is deployed as a 4-3-3 in operation. The downside is that I have to rely on Mirallas and Osman to feed Jelavic on a consistent basis and hope they do not get injured.

4-5-1 with the full backs staying back behind my wingers/inside forwards, the latter depending on the strength of the opposition defence.

I am surprised this was the first time it was mentioned in this thread. Nothing worked better for me in two years of playing FM11. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of AMC because there are so many great players who work best in that role.

In fm11 and FM12 I used a weird 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 formation.

Standard back 4 a left midfielder and MCR. A AMC and an AMR.

Teach the left midfielder to switch ball to opposite flank. Focus team passing down the left hand side.

I found this tactic out when I signed an awesome winger but could only play AMR. Won a lot of games using this.

I am surprised this was the first time it was mentioned in this thread. Nothing worked better for me in two years of playing FM11. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of AMC because there are so many great players who work best in that role.

Don't like using a AMC due to the fact that being a LB in my earlier days, I have always been defensive minded. Used to employ a 5-3-2 on the good ole CM days (not a slight on the FM series) but for some reason I cannot seem to get WB's to work effectively within FM. Actually, if you can recommend an AMC, please PM me. Playing with Everton for one last shindig before 13.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using a kinda 343/352 formation at the moment with Dortmund. It works really well, brilliant going forward and at the back. Crosses from the left flank can be a problem with the AML but generally i'm not bothered that much by them unless the winger is really quick.

ST ST

AML - CM - CM - RM

DM

DC - DC -DC

4-3-3 with Liverpool

That is

-----GK-----

RB-CB-CB-LB

-----DM-----

--CM----CM--

--------------

STR--ST--STL

With the settings

GK - Goalkeeper

RB - Full Back, Automatic

LB - Full Back Automatic

CB - Centre Back - Stopper

CB - Centre Back - Cover

DM - Anchorman - Defend

CM - DLP - Support (Main Playmaker)

CM - AP - Support

STR - Inside Forward - Support

STL - Inside Forward - Support

STC - Poacher - Attack

Fluid + Control

Works quite well, I'm joint top of the prem, haven't lost yet in the early stages of the season. Good for counter attacking as I've got 3 fast attacking players up top ready to attack. But the build up play also works as I've got 3 midfielders to pass it around, plus the wide forwards always provide an option as do the full backs.

Slightly vulnerable on the break myself though if my DM doesn't do his job.

433 (MC x3, F R, C and L) with Salisbury in BSS. Currently doing well leading the league, being in control of most matches, difficult to beat and efficient. Fine tuning going on, so once I am happy with how this tactic performs over time against a variety of opposition I will probably put it up for a download.

Archived