Assman + OI + gameplay

Wonder if any of you guys can cast some thoughts about this.

Question re tactics and Assman advice:

At the beginning of the game I do various OI's then during the game when the Asman tells me an opposition player needs attention I generally stop the game and make the necessary chang e.g. tight marking. However, even if I have already put a certain OI on a player at the start he is telling me to do it again re " If Kostas Katsouranis is allowed the space....etc" I have already closed him down so is it the "tight marking" instruction that my assman is telling me to implement?

I have had this a number of times, could be a bug but not sure.

Advice please guys.

:)K

If I understand correctly, you're saying that, for example, you've told your team to tightly mark a player, but even after that, your assistant is saying we need to stop giving him space.

Agreed, it's a bit counter-intuitive, but couldn't it just be that the player in question is better at finding space than your defender is at denying him space? Take a real-world example, Ronaldo is running at you and you know what you need to do to stop him, but it's another job actually doing that successfully. Could be giving the ME too much credit though.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that, for example, you've told your team to tightly mark a player, but even after that, your assistant is saying we need to stop giving him space.

Agreed, it's a bit counter-intuitive, but couldn't it just be that the player in question is better at finding space than your defender is at denying him space? Take a real-world example, Ronaldo is running at you and you know what you need to do to stop him, but it's another job actually doing that successfully. Could be giving the ME too much credit though.

Could be as you say, the player is better at finding space than than my player is at stopping him. Will try and see if there's a pattern re what players I use and the fact that the assman tells me to keep closing specific players down again?

Thanks for that food for thought.

Bit random but not long finished Alex Ferguson's book, and he said the same thing SMSL about when he first got to Man U their scouts back then were bringing to his attention players who'd never cut it just to validate their job and let people know they were working (?). He goes on in his book to explain how counter-productive that was and him calling all the scouts in to tell them the new way. Football eh? Bloody hell. :D

It's pretty easy to ignore 95% of scout reports from their assignments by their stars on report. Basically anything less than 4 stars is nothing better than you already have unless you're looking for something to fill a unique niche, no?

Assman is pretty useless in my experience - even "good" ones whatever that might mean.

What stats would a good game advice Assman have? Tactics, def, att, flexi, motivating? Even if you get one with solid mental stats across the board their advice on OI and in game amounts to little.

This is a real shame about FM - there may be some really good processing going on but the game doesn't show it very well if that is the case. I've never seen much qualitative difference between Assmans regardless of how much they are, or what mental stats they have (with the exception of PA/CA but any staff member can have that to scout Newgens).

I just believe my own eyes and reading of the stats. If I see an opponent getting through then I do something about it - maybe change tactics or move players to get a better match up. More often than not the Assman isn't talking about that player anyway.

Bit random but not long finished Alex Ferguson's book, and he said the same thing SMSL about when he first got to Man U their scouts back then were bringing to his attention players who'd never cut it just to validate their job and let people know they were working (?). He goes on in his book to explain how counter-productive that was and him calling all the scouts in to tell them the new way. Football eh? Bloody hell. :D

It's pretty easy to ignore 95% of scout reports from their assignments by their stars on report. Basically anything less than 4 stars is nothing better than you already have unless you're looking for something to fill a unique niche, no?

This Ferguson guy might be a bit of an OK manager if he thinks like me. ;)

Quick question re scouts....I use a scout to 'scout next opposition', but when I go to implement the OI before the game and check on their players PPM etc, it states "scouting required". What is the point of 'scouting next opposition' when they haven't done their job properly?

Any feedback please?

@Kazza: The assistant feedback during the match is based on how open the player is on the pitch. Just because your players are told to tightly mark him doesn't mean they're doing their job well. As an experiment try using very-low closing down and man marking on that particular player. Your covering player will then have the freedom to stay with the player all the time. Without those instructions the general closing down as it is currently implemented will get them pulled all over the pitch and leaving their man.

@Kazza: The assistant feedback during the match is based on how open the player is on the pitch. Just because your players are told to tightly mark him doesn't mean they're doing their job well. As an experiment try using very-low closing down and man marking on that particular player. Your covering player will then have the freedom to stay with the player all the time. Without those instructions the general closing down as it is currently implemented will get them pulled all over the pitch and leaving their man.

Thanks for this - this is what I was wondering. Good advice, will try that - again thanks for answering the question :)

Archived