Forcing Reserves/U18s manager to play a youngster player?

Hi,

This is my first Football Manager (absolutely loving it at the moment, racked up too many hours after work) so please bare with me!

Finished my first season with Reading (just avoided relegation) and about 1/4 of the way into my second. On the start of my second season I got an intake of youngsters and one of them has the potential of 5 stars (he's aged 15/16). At first I thought I'd found someone to rival Messi, but from reading these forums it seems that the current/potential star ratings are relative to your squad or something..? Anyway, I digress.

My training facilities are 5 star and I've recently convinced the board to upgrade my youth facilities. My problem is, Snape (my 5 star potential) has the current ability of 1 star and I can't risk rotating my first team too much as I've had a poor start to the season. I've put him into the reserves squad hoping that he'll benefit from top of the range training facilities and some reserves football but my reserves manager hasn't played him once! I thought maybe he's too young (don't follow football a great deal) so I put him back into the U18 squad and the manager there won't play him either. My micromanagement skills are appalling, hence why I've got those two squads automated, but I was wondering if there is a way to make the manager play him so that he can improve and reach his potential? I don't really want to loan him out in case the team's training facilities aren't as good. Although, saying that, I did try to loan him out to my feeder club (in League 1) but he didn't want to go.

Thanks!

He should be being picked for your u18s, and really with that potential for your reserves too.

There is sometimes an issue when you move someone to the reserves that they are not 'Available for Reserves'. I would recommend making sure he is set to available for reserves for 90 mins, but to be honest I don't think this is the issue.

Also, whilst 5 star at Reading doesn't rival Messi, it is still something to be very pleased with! Good luck developing him into a Premier League legend, he should be capable!

I remember having a similar problem years ago and I wanted to be able to pick a preferred line-up for my assistant to work with. The answer I got was to take control of the reserve team myself and waste my time holidaying through reserve matches. :(

Hi,

This is my first Football Manager (absolutely loving it at the moment, racked up too many hours after work) so please bare with me!

Finished my first season with Reading (just avoided relegation) and about 1/4 of the way into my second. On the start of my second season I got an intake of youngsters and one of them has the potential of 5 stars (he's aged 15/16). At first I thought I'd found someone to rival Messi, but from reading these forums it seems that the current/potential star ratings are relative to your squad or something..? Anyway, I digress.

My training facilities are 5 star and I've recently convinced the board to upgrade my youth facilities. My problem is, Snape (my 5 star potential) has the current ability of 1 star and I can't risk rotating my first team too much as I've had a poor start to the season. I've put him into the reserves squad hoping that he'll benefit from top of the range training facilities and some reserves football but my reserves manager hasn't played him once! I thought maybe he's too young (don't follow football a great deal) so I put him back into the U18 squad and the manager there won't play him either. My micromanagement skills are appalling, hence why I've got those two squads automated, but I was wondering if there is a way to make the manager play him so that he can improve and reach his potential? I don't really want to loan him out in case the team's training facilities aren't as good. Although, saying that, I did try to loan him out to my feeder club (in League 1) but he didn't want to go.

Thanks!

My suggestion would be get him in where you can, 20 mins first team action is better than youth/reserve football. Whilst it might seem a risk he'll pick up attributes quickly. Get some starts in say the Carling cup or prem games where you are likely to win (for Reading rare I know) but if you are say 3-0 up at half time get him in, he's unlikely to play so badly to cost you the game. 6-9 months like this and he'll probably be a good enough back up for your first team anyway.

Another key is to get him a good tutor with a decent personality and high determination.

Also his PA is based on your squad but find out what your best player is and his star rating, i doubt it will be 5 stars, so you still have a potential top international player on your hands.

I'd like to add that besides the 5 stars, your scout makes a comment that is found in the report bellow the rating. In my BSP team I have 5 star PA players, but one is dubbed "a good league 2 defender", the other "a leading league 1 midfielder". While both are 5 stars, one obviously has much higher potential.

Many thanks for the responses!

I can't recall what the scouts comment was about him, I'll have to have a check tonight.

What's the benefit of having a tutor? My staff suggested a couple players have a tutor but the options in the private chat were highlighted blue so I didn't have to think about what it's about. I suppose it just helps them develop quicker?

My best player is a 4 star star Striker. Pavel P..... (impossible Russian name to pronounce) so maybe Snape could be a top international?

One last question: When sorting out 5 star's training, is it best to make him focus on an individual position (he's a striker) or train attributes that are lacking?

Thanks!

Many thanks for the responses!

I can't recall what the scouts comment was about him, I'll have to have a check tonight.

What's the benefit of having a tutor? My staff suggested a couple players have a tutor but the options in the private chat were highlighted blue so I didn't have to think about what it's about. I suppose it just helps them develop quicker?

My best player is a 4 star star Striker. Pavel P..... (impossible Russian name to pronounce) so maybe Snape could be a top international?

One last question: When sorting out 5 star's training, is it best to make him focus on an individual position (he's a striker) or train attributes that are lacking?

Thanks!

The tutor is key if the player doesn't have great mental attributes as the young player will adopt a similar personality and mental attributes as the tutor. So you can give a young player good determination though a tutor with good determination. Good determination will lead to a professional attitude which means the player will work harder and has a far better chance of reaching his PA.

If Pavel Pogrebnyak is 4 stars and your regen is 5 then he has potential to be significantly better than Pavel's current ability. He still could be Messi level PA seeing as you can't go higher than 4 stars, the only way you would know would be to sign someone currently rated better than Pavel, however I would say Pavel Pogrebnyak is a decent level Premiership player and I would estimate his CA to be around the 145-150 mark so your player is minimum going to be a 160+ PA player. Say Jermain Defoe or Ashley Young type level.

The key to getting him there is time, good tutoring, staying free from injury, good training and plenty of first team time.

With regards to training, what sort of role do you want him in, what sort of stats does he have currently?

Training focusses CA gain, so it puts those earned Ability points into attributes, so you don't want to waste it on areas he doesn't need like Long throws or tackling for a striker.

So if he has good poacher stats you might want his overall focus to be as a 'poacher', if he has good poacher stats but not in one area you might want to focus on this one attribute, say Finishing. He might not have great striker stats, so you might want to re-train his position, he might become a world class AMC.

This guide is for FM12 so the training section is a bit off but the principles are still very useful - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/304750-Youth-Development-The-Guide?highlight=development

Archived