FM13: Bolton Wanderers F.C - A Wander into the Championship **To be Updated**

potter1989bwfc

A much better season this time around. Last season I qualified for the Europa League by finishing 5th. Had a great time winning the group and losing to spurs in a semi-final I didn't deserve to lose!

Got revenge by defeating Spurs 2-0 to win the FA Cup Final and hence our first major trophy!!!

Finished 6th in the League mainly because we had a small squad. Quality but small.

On a side note gain no one seriously bids for any players despite putting all players asking prices as their value!!! RIDICULOUS!!!

This season I also counted the number of games I clearly dominated but didn't win. I took a screenshot of the stats every time it happened. It happened a total of FOURTEEN times!!! The match engine is quite poor in my view. :(

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have finally started a game! As a championship squad, with the right tactics this should be promotion worthy. The goalkeeper is though a bit of an issue one which I haven't yet solved.

I have had an average pre season playing 4231, and I think I will play a rather direct 442 for my opening games against Blackburn Blackpool and wolves.

In terms of transfers, offloading Pratley is proving tough, the rest I want to keep.

On loan I have brought in Danny Wilson from Liverpool and Nick Powell from Utd. I'm keen to keep the finances down.

Staff wise, most of the current staff didn't seem to be up to much and so I replaced them.

A goalkeeper that can do a job after promotion would be handy now and I will keep you all updated as to how I start the season!

Very much enjoying this thread, cheers

So onto the 17/18 season.

Community Shield: Our 1st appearance in this saw us lose on penalties to Arsenal after a 1-1 draw but at least the signs were good that we could match the top club in the country,

League Cup: Did much better than last season but lost 3-4 on agg to Man City in the SFs

FA Cup: I had high hopes of retaining the FA Cup but we lost in the Final again on penalties after a 0-0 draw. I was beginning to spot the penalties syndrome creeping into our game.

Europa League: Lost out 1st 2 games in the group but rallied to qualify 2nd on 10 points. This included winning 9-0 away and 8-0 at home to Romanian side Vaslui. We did even better than last season and picked up our 1st ever European trophy defeating Spurs 1-0 in the Final at the Friendly Stadium!!! :D

League: We had been hoping to break into the top 4 to get Champions League footy but I knew it would be difficult after doing so well in all the cup competitions however, we managed 4th place on 77 points to hit the big time. Assuming of course we can win the qualifier. :D

So my latest Bolton campaign looks like this...

SEASON  COMPETITION   POS HONOURS
---------------------------------------------
2011/12 Championship  1st Champions, Promoted
2012/13 Premier       9th
2013/14 Premier       8th
2014/15 Premier       5th
2015/16 Premier       6th FA Cup winners
2016/17 Premier       4th Europa League winners, FA Cup Finalist, Community Shield runners-up

Financially we have to tone it down a bit. For starters I have Joe Allen earning £120,000 per week. :eek: So I may have to deplete the quality a little but we must maintain the numbers to be able to compete for all the trophies.

With N'Gog released at the end of this season there aren't many original players left...

GK Adam Bogdan - Last season he spent on the bench is wanting a new challenge. It's a shame no one ever bids for my players! :D

DL Marcos Alonso - Signed on until 2021. Still a 1st team regular and is a good Premier player.

DC Tim Ream- Signed on until 2019. Still a good Premier player but as he only started 14 games last season, next season will probably be his last.

MC Mark Davies. Signed until 2019. Declining now. A good Championship player but only made 1 appearance and that was as a sub. Currently has a torn calf muscle so again next season will be his last.

SC Marvin Sordell. Also signed for one more season, however was again our top scorer. This time he bagged 40 goals with 21 being in the Premier. He is only 27 and is still a good premier player so a new contract may well be offered.

Oh and a local businessman is about to take over the club. Never a tycoon around when you need one!!!

Time for my first Premier League January update!

At the end of January, we're sitting pretty in 8th place, despite it taking us 8 games to win our first game. Our star performer has undoubtedly been Mattia Destro, the striker has 14 goals in 26 games and has been the difference in many games, he is now worth £7.25m after signing on a free transfer.

Two big signings have come in in January, Ademilson joined from Sao Paulo for a bargain £5.25m (his release clause) and scored on his debut. Our other signing came on deadline day, Craig Dawson joined us for £7.75m, coming home back to the North-West after spells at Radcliffe Boro and Rochdale before West Brom.

In the Cup, we were knocked out of the Capital One Cup 2-1 away to Man City in the Quarter Finals, and we're still in the FA Cup, facing a 4th round replay against Southampton after drawing 3-3 (from 3-0 down at half time!)

In the league, we're a healthy 8th but spare a thought to Charlton who came up via the play-offs and are having an awful time. I'm hoping a top half finish may be possible, but would ne happy with anything higher than 14th at the end of the season.

Untitled-1_zps4fe90ca4.png

Close season 2018

Managed to get rid of Joe Allen and his wage demands for about £14m to Stoke.

With the proceeds and extra funds I managed to acquire about 4 England internationals. :D This along with the resignation of England manager Michael Laudrup persuaded the FA to offer me the job as England manager - which I have taken. I begin as manager with the start to the European Championship Qualification matches.

So next season should be interesting!

A quick update. Just into Jan on second season and its been a bit of a struggle, sitting 18th but only 2 points behinh 12th so its fairly tight. I am not converting enough chances, when I win I always win confortable and I always seem to lose by 1 goal. Board have handed me 4M so hopefully I can get a couple of players in and stay up come then end of the season.

SEASON 2018/19

League Cup: Lost 1-0 at home to Man City in QFs. Not surprising as Man City were top of the League having won every single game!!!

FA CUP: Lost 3-1 at home to mid table Birmingham in a shockingly 5th Round performance.

League: We were consistently in the top 4 until Christmas then we started to drift down to 6th before rallying. A 1-0 win at home to Liverpool sealed 4th place and guaranteed more Champions' League football for next season.

European Super Cup: Defeated Arsenal 1-0 to win our 2nd European Trophy!

Champions League: The 1st leg of the qualifier was a shocking 4-2 home defeat by Roma however, despair turned into elation when we won the 2nd leg in Rome 5-1!!! A tough Champions' League group gave us FC Copenhagen, CSKA Moscow and of course Barcelona! Won 2-1 H v Copenhagen, then lost 1-3 at Barcelona despite my scouts informing me that the danger man was a guy called Messi who I have never heard of. :rolleyes: 3rd game was an undeserved 3-2 loss at CSKA. Leaving Barca 6, CSKA 6, Bolton 3, Copenhagen 3 at the half way stage. 4th game we easily beat CSKA 3-1 at the Reebok and then confirmed qualification with a 3-0 win away to Copenhagen. The final game???

A 5-1 win at home against Barcelona to win the group!!! :D

1st KO ROUND beat Inter, 4-0 away and 1-1 at home.

QF beat Juventus 1-0 away and 3-0 at home.

SF Drew 2-2 at home to Man Utd and then drew 0-0 away to lose on away goals! GUTTED!!!

So a few England internationals are now at the Reebok namely, Keiran Trippier, Chris Smalling, Thomas Ince, Jordan Henderson, Jake Livermore, Marvin Sordell and Stephen Edwards. Now it may be time to bring in the World Class quality and push for the title.

Striker Edwards aged 20 , signed from Arsenal for £15 scored 22 goals (11 in the League). Top scorer was also signed in the summer. 21 year old Bartosz Malowiejski, £10.25m from Spurs. The German notched 27 goals, 20 of them in the League.

[size=3][font=courier new]SEASON  COMPETITION   POS HONOURS[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]---------------------------------------------[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]2012/13 Championship  1st Champions, Promoted[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]2013/14 Premier       9th[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]2014/15 Premier       8th[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]2015/16 Premier       5th[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]2016/17 Premier       6th FA Cup winners[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new]2017/18 Premier       4th Europa League winners, FA Cup Finalist, Community Shield runners-up
2018/19 Premier       4th European Super Cup Winners
[/font][/size]

Close season 2019

Completed the first season of being the England manager and qualification for the Euros looks a formality. 5 wins out of 5. 2nd are Ireland with 4 wins and a loss but we have already won 2-1 in Dublin. All my friendlies were at home to the lowest ranked sides in the World for laugh but that's boring now so it's time to visit the top nations in future. In a nutshell we won every single game this season. :D

OUT

Tim Ream, Mark Davies and Adam Bogdan rarely featured this season and after their contracts ran out I released them. That leaves us with only Marcus Alonso and Marvin Sordell from our original starting squad.

IN

Liam Bingham (age 22). DC signed from Chelsea for £15m. On the fringes of the England squad and he hopes to cement a starting place by signing for us.

Aaron Lennon (age 32). MR signed from Spurs on a free. Still on the fringes of the England squad so should be good for one season meaning I don't have to play Henderson there all the time.

Jose Mari (age 22). MC signed from Sevilla for £36.5m!!!!!

Why??? Take a look.

JoseacuteMari_OverviewProfile_zps630df3d5.png

I just had to burst the bank to acquire him on a 5 year deal!

Good to see everybody doing so well. My first dive in to this game went horribly wrong, so I used that game as a test run for a tactic I made and then started again.

I signed nobody other than Danny Wilson on loan and Nick Powell also on loan.

I am thoroughly enjoying it and at the 10 game mark i'm lying 4th with a game in hand which would take me top. The football is good and not many goals are being conceded.

I was knocked out of the Capital One cup by Manchester City losing 4-0 at their place which came as no surprise.

Will report back when I play some more games!

Cheers

End of the 2nd season I finished 16th so i survived. Pretty annoyed though as did not win any of my last 6 games so at one point I was looking at a top half finish after a great run in Jan and Feb. Another challenge awaits next season! Lets try and improve and push up that league.

So with my new signings the 2019/20 season began...

League Cup: Not great. Losing the 1st game 1-2 in the 3rd round at home to rivals Man Utd!

FA Cup: Lost 0-1 in the QF at Tottenham.

League: We led the table for most of the season but 5 games to go we faltered with defeats at Arsenal and again Man U. In the end we finished 2nd 6 points adrift of champions Man Utd.

Champions League: Finished 2nd in our group behind Barcelona. Then defeated Juventus 4-0 on agg, then defeated Man Utd at last 4-2 on agg in the QFs :D The semi was a 3-1 win over Inter which gave us a final against Real Madrid.

Champions League Final: We were 2-0 down inside the 1st 10 minutes. Then on 43 mins right back Trippier got booked then booked again 2 minutes later. To say I was fuming at the break would be an understatement! Two minutes after the restart and after a good hair drying at half time we pulled one back thanks to an own goal. The game was fairly even and then young midfielder Bibiano Abranches (an £11m signing from Crewe) equalised on 69 minutes. The game was a very even affair but Bolton hearts were broken when after 98 minutes Julian Martin won the game for Real!

[size=2][font=courier new]SEASON  COMPETITION   POS HONOURS[/font][/size][size=2][font=courier new]---------------------------------------------[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2012/13 Championship  1st Champions, Promoted[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2013/14 Premier       9th[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2014/15 Premier       8th[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2015/16 Premier       5th[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2016/17 Premier       6th FA Cup winners[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2017/18 Premier       4th Europa League winners, FA Cup Finalist, Community Shield runners-up[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2018/19 Premier       4th European Super Cup Winners[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2019/20 Premier       2nd Champions' League runners-up[/font][/size]

Gutted but we have come a long way!!!

INTERNATIONALS

To say my England team had a split personality was an understatement. We won our European Championship qualifying group easily with 8 wins from 8 games.

The Finals in Turkey however, was a different story. We were drawn against Switzerland, Poland and Armenia. We dominated all 3 games but in good old FM tradition the Swiss game ended as a 1-1 draw. Poland had 2 shots to our 36. Result was a 2-0 win for Poland!!! Even a win couldn't guarantee us qualification for the knock out stages in our last game against Armenia. In the end it didn't matter as we got beat again. So 1 point from 3 games left us last in the group and naturally I was fired!

Got to love the international side of the game... fairly true to life tbh...

Well I've come back after losing that save I'd shared with you all earlier... seems the beta wasn't so reliable for a long term save, or at least mine wasn't as I crashed several times and got a corrupt save so I couldn't go back.

Ah well, I just have to start over again, which is what I did...

Season 2012/2013

Well I stayed true to form and went after the same transfer targets I'd gone after previously in the beginning of the season and all came with little problems, only exception this time around was LB.

I couldn't get Robinson for some reason, he'd gone elsewhere on loan, so I got Eros Pisano on loan with a future fee of 3M!!

I did manage to sell Pratley this time (1.5M to Leeds), Petrov (5M to Stuttgart), Ngog (9.25M to Monaco), and Lainton (250K to Crewe), so that helped balance out so that I only payed out 750K total over what I brought in.

Wages are 100K below what's required and I'm sitting on a pretty warchest of 5.84M from Ngog!

Sadly that doesn't stop the red ink from showing up on the balance sheet... I'll be going after frees in the Jan window with a look towards the summer ins.

My radar includes Yaya Sangogo(ST), Erik Janza(DL), and Mattia Perin(GK) as targets who sign on with expiring contracts...

Leauge

Currently we're 1st and being chased by Brighton. Leeds are dead last so it was a good sale for me!

Just getting Holden back from injury and playing him as a super sub, but player(s) of the first half is tied between Nem and Chungy.

Both are monsters on the assists (11 & 10 respectively) and Avg Rating (8.15 & 7.64).

My biggest problem is being able to demolish contenders for the title, yet frustratingly barely able to draw with teams at the bottom end of the table, hairdryers at halftime help us save face at least.

Leauge Cup

We've made it to the Semi's and get handed none other than Arsenal at their home for the first leg. On the flip side it's Man City vs Tott, so it's a hope and a prayer.

FA Cup

Just started the third round and have our tie at Millwall, will be interesting as they are one of the bottom sides we've had trouble with, but we should be winning this one at least.

Well that's a wrap for now...

SEASON 2020/21

Transfers: Out - (£63m) Aaron Lennon, Darron Gibson, Daniel Sturridge, Craig Cathcart, Jake Livermore and Joel Ekstrand all released on frees. Good Premier players but all 30 years old or above and now bench players. Andy Baguely, my first youth player of any note to Fulham £2.9m. He began with PA of leading Premier player but has now maxed out as a leading Championship player. The big sale was Jose Mari. After just one season I managed to sell him to Milan for... £60m!!!

Now I had a massive war chest despite us having a debt of £40m at the end of the season.

Transfers: In - (£133m) MR Shane Hatcher, Stoke and an England international £31m. MC SC Nick Powell, Chelsea and England £26.5m, DC Uruguaina Ajax and Brazil £24m, SC Fabio Scaroni Sampdoria £11.75m and DLR Francisco Teixeira £40m from Dortmund and Portugal in January. Plus a couple of loans.

League Cup: Destroyed Arsenal 4-1 at the Reebok in the QF but lost A 1-1, H 1-2 to Manchester City.

FA Cup: An easy route to the final v Arsenal. Won 3-0 on pens after a 3-3 aet.

League: In front from the start and won the title. At the end I played the ressies allowing the rest to close the gap a bit.

Champions League: Once again made the final. One again vs Real Madrid. Once again beaten! This time 3-1 on pens after a 0-0 aet. We slaughtered then in every department except scoring. In the shoot out 4 of our 5 takers MISSED!!!

Once again we were in debt at the end of the season to the tune of £30m!!! Youth facilities are being upgraded and as from September the stadium will hold just over 33,000.

[size=2][font=courier new]SEASON  COMPETITION   POS HONOURS---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2012/13 Championship  1st Champions, Promoted[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2013/14 Premier       9th[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2014/15 Premier       8th[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2015/16 Premier       5th[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2016/17 Premier       6th FA Cup winners[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2017/18 Premier       4th Europa League winners, FA Cup runners-up, Community Shield runners-up[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2018/19 Premier       4th European Super Cup Winners[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2019/20 Premier       2nd Champions' League runners-up[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=courier new]2020/21 Premier       1st Champions, FA Cup winners, Champions' League runners-up[/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Good job!

Sorry for my lack of updates not had as much game time in. I have come to the end of my third season where I finished 10th so solid progression from 16th. Im hoping for a nice top half finish with perhaps European qualification. I rejected the Arsenal and Man Utd jobs so in this for the long haul.

I would like to get my English player quota up. I only having a few that would start.

Archived