Newly appointed manager: To do list

With the new game coming up there is also the inevitable task of preparing the team you have taken control of for the new season. I have created the task list below for myself to keep track of things done and tasks to do. I figured this might also be handy for some other players, so feel free to use the list and by all means let me know if I missed out on something.

• Evaluate staff
    • Offer new contracts to staff deemed in wrong position
    • Mutual termination of staff deemed inadequate
    • Hire staff to fill gaps
    • Set backroom staff responsibilities according to personal preference and backroom staff skills

[*]Evaluate squad

• Identify key players and note strength/ weaknesses
    • Identify key prospects and move squads if applicable
    • Remove and transfer list useless players
    • Evaluate squad depth
    • Remove and transfer/loan list surplus players (NOTE: loaning out players means you can evaluate whether they can be used as backup next season)
    • Loan list key prospects in heavily contested positions - Move those not loaned out to Reserves
    • Bring in players to fill gaps

[*]Formulate tactics

• Identify Board demands
    • Decide formation based on key players and squad depth. (Goal is to include as many key players and primarily use positions with good coverage)
    • Modify positions based on first team player qualities (These will change as players get swapped)
    • Change remaining settings according to board demand and personal preference
    • Add free kick/corner/ throw in takers
    • Set standard situation instructions
    • Create second tactic opposite to the first (if 1st is attacking - second will be defense oriented)

[*]Set up training

• Assign staff to respective area
    • Set group training preferences for coming month
    • Assign individual training to each player (NOTE: Because in the new training system individual training is a MUST USE as it no longer takes time from general training.)
    • Assign tutors to young players (Typically: High potential gets paired up with best tutor, unless a player close to starting 11 requires tutoring)
    • Retrain players deemed more useful in other positions
    • Teach players new moves if required

[*]Set up scouting network

• Assign scout to opposition
    • Assign scouts to areas of interest (Personally: All sent to different regions while roaming, plus a couple youth leagues)
    • Request board to spend more on scouting network/ youth development (Only if financially possible/ Youth is a priority)

[*]Miscellaneous

• Approach board for Parent/Feeder clubs (Thank you Wiwyum!)
    • Request improvements in Training/Youth facilities (If cash allows it/ improvements deemed necessary)

I hope some people might find this useful and as mentioned, feedback greatly appreciated.

I suppose this might loosely fit in to the 'Set up Scouting Network' section, but I always grab a new Affiliate club. If I'm lower league... it's money, loans and better player searching. If I'm parent club, it's exposure, work permit loans and improved world scouting knowledge :)

Great list

Personally I would formulate tactics before evaluating the squad, then re-evaluate after if I don't have / cannot buy players to fit the preferred tactics.

To each their own, but perfectly valid. I personally prefer to select a tactic that best fits the players available to me. I might not follow the exact order above,firing and re-hiring staff takes a while for example, where in the mean time I'll sort out other points.

Another thing I would suggest is a team talk. Particularly if your reputation is a lot weaker than the team deserves (Like me taking over Arsenal with 'Automatic' reputation setting). This makes a huge difference to the morale of your players.

Good list!

In my view all of that should be done in day one. So many times I have pushed into a season and missed some fantastic staffing opportunities and players that have been snapped up else where.

It can be frustrating if you are the type of player that just wnats to get on the field, but I guess that is why they added the new features this year. BUT if you like building your club, get this done on day one!

LAM

Sorry if this is not the right place to post. But one of the first things i usually do on FM is look for 3-4 youngsters who i sign for my Under 19 team. This time around in FM 2013 i am struggling to find players. Whenever i scout players, they are not coming back with a suggested price. Normally in FM 2012 scout would tell you the approximate price you need to pay for a player and approximate wages. In this edition scouts are very rarely coming back with a price, its usually a blank. And even if the players price is 20-30K even if you bid or request a bid the other club is rejecting. Anything in FM 2013 i should be aware of? How can i sign a 2-3 youngsters without getting idea of pricing from scouts

• 3 months later...

Very helpful list, would be good if we can expand it at all if necessary.

One thing I would add is looking at player contract expiry dates. It's good to get this done early. You can tie a player down before you make him a star, demanding higher wages or interesting other clubs. Or I've also seen contract negotiations result in a walk-out, but those demands lowered a few weeks later, so get the walk-out out of the way.

Good list!

In my view all of that should be done in day one. So many times I have pushed into a season and missed some fantastic staffing opportunities and players that have been snapped up else where.

It can be frustrating if you are the type of player that just wnats to get on the field, but I guess that is why they added the new features this year. BUT if you like building your club, get this done on day one!

LAM

Yep. Absolutely worth spending an hour before hitting Continue for the first time.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I have not really played FM (or CM as it was called then) since CM3. Thought it was time to make a revisit. Must be because this is the first time since CM3 that Liverpool actually is a contender to the title...

Anyways - Is this list still valid for FM 2014, and are there other things that I should think about? Reading the list of features and possibilities in the latest versions almost makes me dizzy.

I see that there are a lot of graphic packs out there. I guess the most downloaded ones should be a safe place to start?

Thanks,

Espen

Archived