My new Stadium

I am now in my 28th year of management. From a young 32 year old managing Championship Side West Ham United to a 58 year old still managing my beloved West Ham. The reason for this post is to share something that has happened to me in the game before, which brought a tear to my eye…

In 2015, the West Ham board moved from Upton Park with a capacity of 35,000 to a new purpose built arena called the West Ham United Stadium – In my head it was the Olympic Stadium. With its 60,000 capacity it was a great day for me and the club.. two years later they stuck another 5,000 seats in and life was good. However I built a world class team, the best the world has ever seen many said (well I said it, and I imagined Gary Lineker saying it on MOTD). We started winning, a lot. We became the most successful team to ever play in the League Cup, FA Cup and finally the league. We won Champion Leagues, and World Cup Championships. Aside from that I won the World Cup with England twice and Italy once. I decided to award myself a Knighthood and using the editor became Sir James Powell. However as West Ham continued their success, our facilities didn’t. In terms of sponsorship we were not top of the league and with 55,000 season tickets it was clear we needed a new home. The Board told me in no uncertain terms their hands were tied. We couldn’t go out , up or down. 65,000 was our maximum capacity. Then last summer, as the season ended, Mr Chairman called me into his office, and told me he had some news. Was my time up? Did they want a younger man to come in and continue the empire that I had built and kept at the top of the game. I mean the season prior to this was the first time in 12 years I had not won the league. I had finished a point behind City. But it was not bad news. It was the opposite. The Club announced they were to build a new ground. A 95,000 capacity Stadium called “The Sir James Powell Stadium”. The Ultimate honour.

Now I’m torn, with FM13 due out in days, do I forget this and start again, or do I play on in our beautiful new areana.

Also – excuse the ramblings but has anyone else had this happen? Great feeling!

I've never managed to get my own Stadium. 35 years at Tonbridge Angels, our 3rd new stadium was called "Tonbridge Arena", I stormed out the Board Meeting and never went near Tonbridge ever again!

32 years at Bristol Rovers, the board decided to name our stadium after a player, a player I had brought to the club.

FM13 I will get my stadium...

Archived