Limiting Long Shots

Hey everyone,

I've been playing a 4-5-1 tactic and, generally, I'm happy with it. It's sound defensively, I have the "lion's share" of possession and I'm looking decent in attack. What I'm finding though is that the majority of my shots seem to be coming from long range. I change a few things around, use instructions such as "work ball into the box" and so forth but I can't seem to consistently get my shots closer to goal, and I find that my striker may have 2-3 shots per game while my midfielders and attacking wingers will have more than that.

Would just like to get some advice from people as to what I may be able to change or look for so I can reverse this trend. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers. :)

give more info on ur tactic, roles and everything. Make a screenie.

My first idea is that you need to tone down the mentality on the mid and wingers. Oh, and time wasting might be too rare. These make players hurry so that means more shots and usually those are long shots ( you need time to get closer :D).

give more info on ur tactic, roles and everything. Make a screenie.

My first idea is that you need to tone down the mentality on the mid and wingers. Time wasting might also be too rare.

Not too good with screenies so I'll give as much info as possible! :)

Playing as Man Utd, a 4-5-1 with the lone striker, an AMR and AML, two MCs, a DMC and a normal back four

Roles for each position are:

Striker - AF/Attack

AMR - IF/Attack

AML - AP/Support

MC - CM/Support

MC - CM/Attack

DMC - Anchor/Def

RB - FB/Automatic

LB - FB/Automatic

CB - CD/Defend

CB - CD/Defend

I generally play most games at Control/Balanced or with an Attacking Mentality if we're big favourites to win.

Passing - Default

Creative Freedom - More Disciplined

Closing Down - Press More

Tackling - More Aggressive

Marking - Zonal

Crossing - Default

Roaming - Stick to Position

Nothing else is ticked except to use the playmaker. I also haven't really used an specific player instructions, although I have moved the "long shot" option to rarely for my two MC's as they seemed to be the main culprits but it doesn't seem to have done any good so far.

Like I said my results have been good but this is something I've found frustrating so far. Hope I've covered everything there.

Look at your players ppm's, some of them could be biased towards long shots.

Another reason could be they don't see enough options for a pass, so they decide to shoot, maybe your lone striker is a bit isolated, I'd try to lower his mentality or employ a deep lying forward to get him more involved in your system.

You could also try to play a more expansive game to be less predictable: more attacking players on free role and/or more creative freedom for your midfielders.

You still have problems with the MCs? lower their mentality to normal or even defensive if needed.

If needed, check if the MCs have long shots ( shoots from distance and whatever there is) ppms and unlearn them. Maybe raise time wasting to the right until the maximum of normal length is reached ( try even more if there are problems).

Regarding the passing higgins mentioned, you might need to make it mixed or even higher if that's not enough to make them decide to pass instead of doing a long shot.

Thankyou to you both, I'll try and tweak the tactic a little to test out my results.

I think the one thing that stands out is that my striker is not becoming involved enough, so I think changing his role may be of some help. Any extra ideas would be much appreciated also. Cheers.

well who is that AF? if it's RVP that shouldnt be the problem.

If you want the mids to have more options regarding which forward to pass to, maybe you change the system to a 442.

Generally it has been as I haven't had much luck with Rooney up there, can't seem to get him to score goals on a consistent basis.

Have considered a 442 but I feel as though the tactic I have is solid - I'm still winning games and putting goals on the board but I feel that I'm doing it sometimes more out of a little luck than breaking down a side. Just want to get my forward involved a little more.

Archived