Attacking plus counter attacking?

One of the things I love about Man Utd is their attacking sensibility, but it seems to me that they are most devastating on when the opposition lose possession. They steam forward and overwhelm the final third. Does that match engine support that kind of play through the option of ticking the counterattack box in the team settings?

If that's not the right answer, what is the effect of setting attack or control as the strategy, then ticking the counter box? Does it cause an attacking team to sit deeper and press less? Or does it instruct the attacking team to search for counter attacking possibilities?

Attacking increases your tempo, passing and mentality across the whole team for a short while after winning the ball.

So in theory you should get the desired result you want but so far I had little success in combining an control or attacking mentality with counter attacking.

The problem is when you manage a team like United you will rarely meat an opponent that isn't very defensive and counter attacking against yourself, so what happens is that you often run into their counter attacks as a result.

However a standard mentality with counter attacking worked quite well for me against other big teams, well that is if you don't mind results like 5-4, 6-3 or something along these lines.

However I find that a rather wide and quick play will result in a very nice and fast attacking game without your team over committing too much, like they do if you tick counter attack.

So you will still try to attack them fast after winning the ball but your more defensive orientated players will remain this way and you don't run such a big risk running into counter attacks yourself.

Set your passing instructions for everyone on defend/support to short and direct for the rest. And you should see natural counterattacking with an attacking formation...you can elect to do this manually, however this will affect your shouts since changing passing instruction nullifies several shouts especially the flanks one and the push wider ones since both of these do adjust the passing styles as u choose the shouts. The best way to play this game imho is to decide what shouts you will typically employ and then adapt your tactic. I doubt you need to accept the tactical creators passing options, I dont and i have attacking tactics that easily morph into a counterattacking tactic when the chance presents itself.

My answer might be somewhat vague here, but unless they have changed things, having the counter attack box ticked equals something like this:

If your players forward outnumber their defensive players then all mentalities = 20.

I have no idea if there is a minimum (I think there was), but if they attack and push players forward, if you break their attack early you should outnumber them, when this is the case, all your players get a mentality of 20.

I'm sure ther are other aspects that affect forward runs and passing style etc, but, like I said, my answer would be vague ;)

LAM

Archived