Trialists and Trial Days

I've not really made use of the trial day before, but have just given one a go at my BSS club.

Of the 22 players who have played my coaches suggest 5 have 4-5* potential (16 - 20 yrs old). Which leads me to a couple of questions.

1) I virtually never get a player in my youth intake who has more than 1* potential, why are the unattached trialists apparently of better quality? Why do these players not appear in my youth intake if they are just floating around unattached and aware enough of my club to respond to a trial day advert?

2) The young (16 year olds) players all appear to be happy to accept non-contract terms only on £10 appearance bonus. Fair enough they currently aren't ready for the first team and if they improve I'll have to contract them, but I wondered do you think this is realistic or an exploit?

Obviously with my naff coaches and training facilities, these players may never amount to anything, but bringing one or two through could potentially make a big difference. Hence my concern I may have found an exploit as I do try and play as realistically as possible.

Interesting - thanks.

I did a little more research and found that teams at my level seem to hold trial days every year, l guess looking for players who have left another club + anyone who's only just realised they can play.

Does make me think that it would be nice to have club policy of having a trial day at a certain time period every year, to save you having to do it manually.

Archived