Worse teamtalk result ever

If there's one thing that drives me insane about FM it's the whole teamtalk/mystic meg style try to guess what button to press to get the right reaction way of doing things. Look at the image below and try to explain to me what is going wrong and why my players reacted the way they did.

teamtalk.jpg

We were playing pretty well against tough opposition so I was pretty happy to be come back to 1-1 at halftime. Apparently my players thought differently, is there a option hidden somewhere to get your player mental help because this is just pathetic.

Yeah its not the highlight of the game to be honest, I'd rather have team talks that relate to the game, such as "focus on x individual and pressure him into making errors" and "focus on x area of the field, create space" rather than just say how bad or well they've been playing.

Who knows...

Maybe they have low Professionalism/Pressure/Whatever and they took your team talk as "the game is won, don't bother playing the second half" or something like that...

But the more honest (and brutal) explaination is SI just implemented a harder/more random team talk response to avoid human managed teams going on long undefeated streaks as a result of high morale+tactical superiority+AI stupidity.

It's the FM equivalent of AI cars rubber-banding in racing games.

The whole thing is a joke that makes the game WAY more frustrating and annoying than it should be. I don't understand what it is supposed to bring to the game at all. Unless SI want to give you the manager the actual hidden attributes to look at, how the hell are you supposed to know what to say to players. This level of obscuration between the player and the game renders the whole personality aspect of the game a complete joke.

As much as i love the game, i will agree 100% here. I am the manager and if i'm happy with a draw against higher opposition i expect to be able to say that without half my team throwing a tantrum. It feels like i have to walk on egg shells every time i have to speak with my team, i should be able to shout and throw some studded boots at select players if i believe they have let me, the fans, and the club down.

Problem is, you cannot say what you really want to, you have to guess what they would like to hear, so that their morale stays good enough for them to perform in the next game.

I used to have that problem of players 'Switching Off' on Team Talks (Even with the very successful 'No Pressure' team talk) when I started my FM13 savegame, but I instantly realized it was because of my reputation. As soon as my players started trusting me, that thing never happened again...

... or not. It seems players Switch Off if they don't consider you have judged the match well (e.g. I had some of my players Switch Off when I say I'm pleased with the team's performance after a narrow victory over a much weaker team)

I used to have that problem of players 'Switching Off' on Team Talks (Even with the very successful 'No Pressure' team talk) when I started my FM13 savegame, but I instantly realized it was because of my reputation. As soon as my players started trusting me, that thing never happened again...

... or not. It seems players Switch Off if they don't consider you have judged the match well (e.g. I had some of my players Switch Off when I say I'm pleased with the team's performance after a narrow victory over a much weaker team)

The problem remains that the teamtalks seem to be based off something other than what the match engine shows you. You could be playing extremely well for the team you have but if the AI considers the team to have played poorly then woe beside you if you praise them or anything. Team talks have always been random, they're also extremely reputation based, or need you to be an established figure in the club before they become consistent really. I personally disagree with how that works but there we go.

What was your manager's previous experience and what have you achieved in your time being a manager? If you had the setting on automatic you most likely were a 'Amateur' before becoming a manager and especially players on bigger teams will take some time getting used to you and 'liking' your team talks and whatsoever.

What was your manager's previous experience and what have you achieved in your time being a manager? If you had the setting on automatic you most likely were a 'Amateur' before becoming a manager and especially players on bigger teams will take some time getting used to you and 'liking' your team talks and whatsoever.

He is set to international footballer and this was around 8 months into my first season.

Ive had similar reactions although my fault. I was winning 5-0 at half time once so brought 3 youngsters on then, walked away came back at full time and accidently pressed Angry despite winning 7-1. I woundered why they reacted badly then i looked at the scoreline. that was on FM12 though and was completely my own fault.

Also looking at the OP its says you are the favourites so i guess you have to go a little harder on the lads

But the silent majority is perfectly happy with the feature... :p

Seriously though, team talks and thus morale have too much influence on the result, so the whole thing is more a matter of "guess the right choice" than a matter of offering honest feedback to the team.

Sure there must be a certain degree of understanding and trust, so insulting the whole team following a 1-0 win against a clearly weaker side wouldn't always be a smart idea, but the whole thing depends a lot on not upsetting the players, no matter what a real manager would say.

Also, the new reputation system is laughable... If they don't listen or react poorly you can't win games, so you can't earn reputation and their respect. Had real life worked like that, the likes of Sacchi and Mourinho would have been sacked 10 games into their first season at a Top Club...

I got quite good at team talks, they won me more games than they lost on FM12.

I like the team talk feature and find it a very handy tool for winning a game. I had 2 or 3 players I HAD to get angry with to make them play better, they loved a good hair drying! I also had times when making my team angry (red feedback) won me a game. In teamtalks red does not mean a bad teamtalk and green mean a good one, its all player dependant!

Pay attention to the amount of shots and possession you have - many a time I'll be annoyed to be one-nil down at half time, but for a look at the stats that show we're battering them - in these situations its better to blame luck. If, on the other hand you've only had a few shots and luckily levelled I wouldn't be surprised to see such a reaction to you telling them you're doing well.

Trying to give SI some benefit of the doubt here... it seems to be linked with your rep. When i managed a lower league team the players responded to all my talks well, but now with Sevilla they barely take any notice of me and in general the talks have a negative effect. I put that down to me having no rep. What is working really now i saying nothing at all pre match, and only sometimes something during or post match and results have picked up massively.

If there's one thing that drives me insane about FM it's the whole teamtalk/mystic meg style try to guess what button to press to get the right reaction way of doing things. Look at the image below and try to explain to me what is going wrong and why my players reacted the way they did.

teamtalk.jpg

We were playing pretty well against tough opposition so I was pretty happy to be come back to 1-1 at halftime. Apparently my players thought differently, is there a option hidden somewhere to get your player mental help because this is just pathetic.

This is almost like in Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal Lecter talks the man in the next cell into comitting suicide.

I have already complained about this in the feedback threads. Teamtalks are too deadly. I have yet to play a game where if I am leading and I say can do better or are playing well or dont be complacent then I go on to concede the next goal.

Its not a problem with rep. I chose international player and am in 2nd season with Chelsea. Also so many good players keep getting nervous, which has no solution. Another problem is if i give a strict teamtalk to whole team the one guy who is doing well gets angry/stressed and when i do praise him he gets confused. All because I have to give team talk before individual ones.

Archived