Trusting your scouts in LLM (is it a gamble)

Managing in LLM for the first time in years, in fact never started so low in the game, in the English BSS. Scouts have judging ability and Potential of less than 10. One of my scouts has a rating in 3 in them both. No decent scouts wont come to club. All interested signings have low abilities and when you assess them against each other theres not much difference in stats ie one player may have 5 in jumping and 4 heading and the other 4 in jumping and 5 in heading. So its a gamble to who is the better playeras the stats are so low

However the scout reports rate some players as 5 and some as 1 stars. How do you go about deciding how to assessing the best players to sign? How can you trust your scouts with such low ratings?

Basically I cannot at present put out a team for my next game as have a major injury crisis, only got 8 fit players and I need to fetch in some players but the only interested ones stats and scout reports are worse than what I have in the building ability wise so I wont be improving quality of squad only depth.

So how would you assess any new signings that must be signed in this situation?

FM12 was my last attempt at a LLM and i was in Scotland. Fully trusted my scouts with a little of my own judgement. Turned me from a SFL3 team to a Europa League team. 2 of my SFL3 players where still in the team in the Europa League one was captain. I'd got most players on a free and one was sold for 1.6mil not a huge amount but he was unhappy and wanted to leave. Spoke to a scout replaced him with an even better player who was similar for free. This has turned into a brag anyways.

In answer to your question. I always trust my staff.

Been playing LLM for years now,You should be able to get better than a 3 and 3 rating.

I have I think my lowest at 8 and 9.

LLM is a challenge as not only is your team poor but your staff as well,that means more choices fall on to your shoulders.

Sometimes you have take take a gamble on a player,it will not always work out but that is the way it goes.

Also in LLM you will have to do alot of the leg work yourself,I have just got Tonbridge promoted to the BSP and I have so far spent around 3 hours of game time searching for players,I am now in the 3rd week of July!

You need to do the leg work and find that right back that your team needs,or that striker that will get you the goals needed,your scouts may help out from time to time but if you want to be a great LLM then leg work is needed.

Welcome to BSS where all players are equally terrible and stars mean nothing. Use the scouts to reveal attributes and work with that. Your coaches, training facilities and wage budget don't allow you to sign a player for his potential and develop it, so don't bother. Even if it happens, you'd probably be promoted by then and the player would be rubbish for that level.

Most important is to have squad depth, then tactic familiarity, squad harmony and a sane, simple tactic.

IN the LL you really have to take what you can, espercially if you are doing it the "right" way and only using your scouts to find the players. Personally I use my scouts to find the players, and their actual rating of the player means nothing to me. I will look at every player my scouts find and make my own judgement of the capabilities (or not) of the player.

a) I always trust my scouts because they are the scouts. In LLM, potential doesn't really matter up to let's say tier 3, so I don't care what my scouts think here.

b) I like players which are paid per game. Very useful as backups, as in your example (injury crisis).

c) Don't try to find the "perfect" players with the "perfect stats". Rather develop a simple, stable tactics, where you know what you want and need to do. Sure, a winger with 12 in acceleration is in most cases better than one with 10, but if my scout values the one with 10 higher, then I go for the guy with 10 acceleration. Don't forget: LLM is a huge gamble, massive fun and an unbelievable feeling when you find THE perfect player.

Actually back to back promotions in LL is quite easy if you just ignore the scouts, have attributes un-masked, and just filter through the player search screen looking for the diamonds amongst the rough. There are heaps of diamonds there. Gather five or so diamonds into one team and you will blitz the field. Next year, rinse-repeat. It's all relative to how you want to play the game.

Actually back to back promotions in LL is quite easy if you just ignore the scouts, have attributes un-masked, and just filter through the player search screen looking for the diamonds amongst the rough. There are heaps of diamonds there. Gather five or so diamonds into one team and you will blitz the field. Next year, rinse-repeat. It's all relative to how you want to play the game.

No diamonds or rough diamonds want to come to Truro though who I am currently managing. Most of the players have low stats across the board, playing with attributes un-masked makes the game easier imo and I want a real hard challenge so haven't gone that way

Actually it's easy with masking on anyway. In FM12 you can usually get a core team of players, some of them at premier league potential.

For example, Greg Hartley an ex-man city goalkeeper and/or Gilpin a scottish keeper. Both usually were league 2 standard and could play up in the championship eventually as they were young enough to progress despite the god awful quality of training. And I believe they both joined teams as far down as BSN/S.

I found that scouts at the lower level were very good for finding players for your team. In fact its when you go higher up the leagues you need to start verifying and ignoring them, because it takes a while for them to confirm youth potential (meaning you need to make snap judgements) and when you're at world class level you need to start quality controlling the high ability into actual worthwhile stats.

Excuse me, but I'm quite skeptical about those 5 back to back promotions you've got there. And that you managed to stumble on a PL quality player in BSP. In that rare case, yes, you can manage to keep a good player, who will develop via matches.

You can sure have your doubts about those promotions,I can say I have done numerous times in the past,I think FM13 will be a bit different though.As for Ger (the player I posted) I actually made a thread about him on this forum as I was so blown away by how quickly he progressed and how he was always the best player in the league(maybe I am being a bit biased there).

I also found a striker when I was in L2 that came up through the leagues with me also,he was scoring so many goals and with Ger backing him up it really was not that hard to gain back to back promotions.

Also Ger was not listed as "PL quality" when I signed him,my scout said he would be a good player for L2 and had potential to be a decent Championship player...I seen it different,I knew he would be a world class player,no idea what his CA/PA was then or is now,just knew he would be quality.

OP if you search hard enough there are some great players to snap up,that is pretty much half the fun of LLM is finding those great players and maybe even building your team around a true star that you have found.

Just to add I always have attributes masked,does not take long to offer a trial to a player and see his attributes in full anyway but I would rather have them masked and use my scout or as I said earlier sometimes you just have to take a gamble and they do not always work out.

Scouts are over used in most LLM rule games.... In the real world, especially in Scotland lower league clubs do not get "Scouts" to find their players. They use their contacts from the game themselves, or even better the SFL and SJFA websites which constantly list players that are available.

The one thing that LL Managers need to learn, is the "Offer Trial" button. It is an excellent way, and if you want to do it properly, play some friendlies either via your reserve team and put him there or senior side if need be.

The one thing that LL Managers need to learn, is the "Offer Trial" button. It is an excellent way, and if you want to do it properly, play some friendlies either via your reserve team and put him there or senior side if need be.

I use Trials ALL the time, year round. It's a great way to get a good look at a lot of players. I wish there was the ability to select multiple players at a time (after you have filtered them down during your search) and offer them all trials en masse, but alas, I will be content with what I have :)

One small annoyance I have is that when you trial a player and that player subsequently leaves later, unless you have specifically asked a Scout to create a report, no report is created. I would think that because a player is trialing for you that a report would be done as part of the trial. I have also had former players who I have looked at later and didn't have a report on. Minor pet peeve of mine. :)

You can sure have your doubts about those promotions,I can say I have done numerous times in the past,I think FM13 will be a bit different though.

Actually I take this back.

After being a bit disgruntled with the lack of decent English players willing to join my team I went into the the other countries lower players.

As usual I untick "unrealistic players" from the menu and go to work on the French,Italian and such other leagues.

I focus on the NON nationalist's and start my search.

I just signed 5 players that are real stars for this league,all being slated as good League 2 players or at the very least leading BSP players,2 have potential to be leading League 1 players of the future.

It took time and many rejections but I now have a great looking BSP side that in all honesty should see me have a great season and if I am lucky with promotion I already have the backbone for a decent League 2 campaign.

Nothing to compare to Ger at the moment but I reckon my CM could still be a good Championship player in the future.

That is a decent tip for LLM that are trying it for the first time,untick the "unrealistic transfer" box when searching in other countries and just try your luck in signing them,you maybe surprised just who you can get,although what your budget :)

IN the LL you really have to take what you can, espercially if you are doing it the "right" way and only using your scouts to find the players. Personally I use my scouts to find the players, and their actual rating of the player means nothing to me. I will look at every player my scouts find and make my own judgement of the capabilities (or not) of the player.

That's alright if your scouts ever find anyone. I'm playing in the Swedish LL and my scouts have found 0 'New Talents' in just over a full season, and a total of about 10 'known talents' over the same period!

• 11 months later...

Archived