Possible issue with cup-tie rules?

I'm playing as Man United with no transfer budget in the first window. The winter window comes around and the only purchase I make is Davide Santon from Newcastle as a long-term replacement for Evra. When it comes to register my Champions League squad for the knockout rounds, I find that Santon is greyed out as "Ine".

Now, how is it possible that he be cup-tied? Newcastle is only in the Europa League, and while I understand I am only allowed 1 player who played for a different team in the Europa League, I didn't buy anyone else in the winter window.

I am somewhat befuddled by this.

Now, how is it possible that he be cup-tied? Newcastle is only in the Europa League, and while I understand I am only allowed 1 player who played for a different team in the Europa League, I didn't buy anyone else in the winter window.

I am somewhat befuddled by this.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the one allowed player from your extra three having played for another club might be too difficult for SI to code so they have gone with standard cup tie rules, ie he has played in the Europa league so is INE for another club in Europe this season.

I thought about that, but it's even listed in the registration rules "only allowed 1 player who played in Europe for a different club". I can't imagine they'd list that in the rules if they didn't actually code it.

If thats the case the next logical step is that the game thinks you already have one player in the squad who has played for another club in Europe this season. Can you identify anyone that the game "might" think falls into that category?

You could also post it in the bugs forum and upload your save for SI to look at. They'll then be able to identify why its happening.

I'll try to do that when I get home tonight but I don't see how it is remotely possible. I didn't make ANY other purchases in the winter so who on my squad could have played for another team? I didn't recall any loans and none of my loans are to teams who are playing in Europe anyway.

Archived