I know this maybe asking to much, but I need some serious FM 2013 Help :)

Hey guys, I am a grown man from New York and may have watched maybe 10 football games my whole life :( Anyways I am very eager to learn and have been watching the english premier soccer channel on cable and purchased FM 2013 and love sport sims. I started FM 2013 did the tutorials and but when i start it up to actually play a game I get so lost and overwhelmed I shut the game down and come to this forum looking for help. Well, here I am again. I need help. I was wondering if there is anyone that would be nice enough to take me by the hand so to speak via team speak even a land-line lol and help me get started and possibly walk me thru it so I can actually play a game lol. I hope I don't get flamed for this but I really want to learn how to play. Thanks and I am sorry for my incompetence on football and this game :)

why not play Championship Manager 01/02 first?

it's free and you can start learning something instead of intimidating amount of information for some in recent FM.

Or since you have FM2013 already, just play FM classic.

Very good advice that :) +1

FM13 isn't really the type of game you can teach "over the phone" to be honest. There's just too much to go through.

why not play Championship Manager 01/02 first?

it's free and you can start learning something instead of intimidating amount of information for some in recent FM.

Or since you have FM2013 already, just play FM classic.

It's not as easy as it sounds, even FM classic. It's easier if you watch football tho, but that's not the case here.

I know when I, although playing FM since 2003, try to play some other hardcore simulations like Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis... I always get so lost and quit the game after 5 mins.

Well I started it but quit because I didn't know what team to pick and were to start lol. I hope someone can help ;)

As you watch the Prem League, I would suggest loading up the English leagues, and then adding yourself, and then hit the "Pick a random team" button, this will give you a reasonably random selection. Of course if you want a game with a little less pressure I would select a mid-table team which should reduce the pressure on your team going forward.

Some Quick Ideas:

1) Mid-Table Team

2) Your Tactic - Use Tactic Creator, pick a formation you want to play with, and then just default through, it won't be the best tactic, but it will give you a starting place.

3) Play some friendlies using your starting players and see how it goes, using the match engine and the Analysis screens you should be able to get some idea of issues.

This will probably help as an introduction, and you should be able to start learning the game without having to worry about any of the interactions, or player signings to start with. And if you get fired, you can go back and do it again with a different team.

Ah, I can relate to this. I'm American and I started playing FM11 almost two years ago without the slightest clue what I was doing. Now I'm an FM addict.

The best advice would be to just jump in and learn through trial and error. Pick an EPL team that you enjoy watching and recognize a few of the names. Definitely expect to fail and either get sacked or restart a few times.

Also, pretty much any question you have on this game can be answered with an internet search. The amount of FM info available online is stunning.

Well I got past the chose team screen and saw my emails and chief scout recommended I pick up a player but after viewing player I didn't know how to complete the offer lol. Little by little I will get it. Just really want to play badly lol. Thanks for all the replies. This forum is by far one of the most mature and helpful forums for a game I have visited. Thanks again.

For signing a player - At the top there will be a button labelled "Transfer" - Your choices should be "Make Offer" or if they are unattached or their contract expires soon "Approach" - To make an offer you would then have to pay the transfer and then if the opposition club agrees you then have to negotiate the contract.

If you want to learn Tactics, I really suggest going to the Tactic Forum and read some posts there (wwfan's advice in particular) ​it can be really helpful.

We Americans should have local FM clubs to indoctrinate new cult members (cough) help new players and chat about the game or something. Maybe you could find someone in NY to play with you. Even just spending an hour with someone watching them play should set you on your way. There are lots of bells and whistles but at the end of the day it isn't all that complicated to get to grips with in terms of just getting the ball rolling.

The interface can be intimidating but really all you're doing is picking players, picking tactics, and watching matches to make tactical adjustments, just like any other sport. At first I just would ignore everything but that.

Step 1: Get to where you are with the game loaded and a team picked.

Step 2: Pretend to listen to your chairman and staff. Ignore them.

Step 3: Pick a tactic, any tactic (could use the tactical creator or just pick a formation).

Step 4: Use "Auto-Select" to have your assistant assign roles so you don't ballz them up. (Tactics page: "Ask to Pick" button).

Step 5: Continue the game until you get to your first friendly, and play it, making sure to watch on "Full Detail" while you get used to the match interface (pausing the match, choosing camera views, seeing how you adjust widgets and tactics, etc..).

Step 6: Wonder how you won the match.

Step 7: Start dealing with all the other wonderful stuff in the game. Now that you know how to simply get through match day you can fumble about without getting completely stuck (hopefully).

Step 8: Wonder how your team are so bad. Get sacked. Break mouse.

Step 9: Become a tactical guru and post on the forums about how you trained your 18 year old Brazillian wonderkid to play both GK and ST in the same match... or something.

Edit: Your original idea about playing with someone whilst on Skype / Teamspeak is actually a pretty good idea. Both pick the same team and make the same moves. Each game will play out differently but much will be the same, enough so that you can talk each other through things you're seeing.

20 years for me and it's still a challenge sometimes.

Amen! I've been playing since the original Champ Man on the Amiga and the game still regularly trounces me. But that's what keeps me coming back.

Stick with it OP, there really are some helpful people on this site, and this game will keep you going for a long, long time.

I can show you a bunch of stuff VIA Skype if you like? I am not the greatest ill forward you but I do know my way around the game and have in the past brought a team from BSS up to the premire. PM me your skype info, I'll be off class today around 1pm EST.

I can show you a bunch of stuff VIA Skype if you like? I am not the greatest ill forward you but I do know my way around the game and have in the past brought a team from BSS up to the premire. PM me your skype info, I'll be off class today around 1pm EST.

Sent you my Skype info via pm let me know if you got it. Thanks a bunch.

• 4 weeks later...
Sent you my Skype info via pm let me know if you got it. Thanks a bunch.

Hope you can get help from him :)

Anyway, before reading advices from tactical forum (there are a lot of good readings here, but you may not even understand the logic, seeing you have watched 10 games only), try read this simple article :

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/2009/12/02/how-to-play-a-4-4-2/

Setting a simple tactic to later set up more difficult ones.

Also, get a PES/FIFA and play some games or try watching football (or as you call it, soccer) games in full to get a feeling.

Be sure try watching games that have commentary of tactics afterwards.

I mean, open this site : http://www.zonalmarking.net/

and pick any games that you can watch in full in youtube or whatever channel, later see the analysis of games.

You can play FM13, but do not enter the simulation mode. Even FM classic may still be too much for you. This is why I suggest try CM01/02 for let's say, a month before moving on.

Archived