Making up the wage difference - One way traffic?

Quite a few times a highly paid, but now backup, player has moved on from my club, demanding I make up the difference between their old wage and the new pittance they are being paid. Of course I'm willing to do this to get rid of some wage bill and bring in the money.

But it never works the other way. If you try and buy a highly paid but backup player they always want nearly what they're currently being paid. Does the facility even exist for an AI squad to pay a player that the player (me) is buying? Has anyone ever seen it happen? Why can the AI pay such a vastly reduced wage but we never get it accepted?

I've never seen players I am buying asking their club to contribute to their wage, but I've bought players from clubs like City for less wage than they were on after they've been benched almost the entire season. Maybe its the same thing but happening behind the scene?

This feature is already in but your don't see the player talking to his old club. Basically the way you'll see it is if they are asking for / accept lower wages than their previous conract.

Also you can't see this as you can't access any other clubs current transfer clauses.

Even if we don't see it, we don't get the option ourselves to ask the player. And lets face it, we only ever buy better players, and they *always* ask for more than they were getting before, and we pay all of it.

The reason you dont see it is that it's nothing to do with you what the player and his old clubs agrees. The only thing you need to concentrate on is getting the player to accept your contract offer. If it's lower than his previous wage then he'll probably go back to his old club to pay the remainder.

Also asking for more is not always a given. In fact most of the players i buy who have transferred themselves to get first-team football always accept lower wage demands.

The reason you dont see it is that it's nothing to do with you what the player and his old clubs agrees. The only thing you need to concentrate on is getting the player to accept your contract offer. If it's lower than his previous wage then he'll probably go back to his old club to pay the remainder.

Also asking for more is not always a given. In fact most of the players i buy who have transferred themselves to get first-team football always accept lower wage demands.

Than their current wage? Really? The only time they accept lower for me is when they are older (30+) for the most part they expect pay rises. Hell, every contract renewal it increases at least a fraction, again, apart from when they are a lot older. So either you're signing a bunch of 30+ players, or you have some awesome negotiation tactic.

Yes. I've even halved their wages and most of them are 24-30 years old. It's all about balancing their contract with clauses.

You can even get some players to join on a pay-as-you-play contract meaning really lower basic wage and high appearance / goal bonuses.

My advice would be to start locking down basic wages. You'd be suprised what they'll accept when you're adamant you're not budging :brock:

A good example is Marc Richards at Chesterfield starts on a basic wage of £2700 P/W. I got him down to £1000 P/W with a few new clauses which benefitted him.

I've also found that clauses make a big difference, I've kept a ageing Samuel Eto'o at my club whilst moving him from indispensible to squad rotation and lowering his wage by increasing his appearance and goal scoring clauses. He hardly plays for me due to younger players, but when he does play he has that incentive

I try my best to get rid of yearly wage rise as I don't like it. However there are certain players that you know you will not play as much, therefore making a contract offer which is similar to pay as you play is beneficial. My clubs finances are much better for getting of his 175k week contract and paying him slightly higher bonuses when he does make an appearance.

But I agree you do have to be careful with clauses and use them wisely.

When offering contracts I try to offer incentives for playing well and reduce the weekly wage by a bit. If you can cut off yearly or promotion wage rises then that is brilliant but do look to offer things like Division Team Of The Year Bonus, bonus for so many goals or League Top scorer bonus. A wage increase after a player has played 30 games for you is always a good option as well.

In short, if you are going to pay out money then make sure the players have earned it!

Then we should at least hear of this as a news item. You always hear of it IRL when a player's former club does this, e.g., Leeds paying their former players wages when they leave.

Then we should at least hear of this as a news item. You always hear of it IRL when a player's former club does this, e.g., Leeds paying their former players wages when they leave.

Do we? I dont know of any players IRL who's contract clauses are publically broadcasted.

Does this even happen irl anymore? I'm sure I read somewhere that it wasn't permitted in the PL anymore as it breaches 3rd party ownership rules as in essence both clubs are paying him a wage. Think it's generally a one off payment these days instead of paying the salary for a fixed period of time

Fair point mate. I've heard of players buying out their OWN contracts recently but never their old club still paying their wages. I just put it down to confidentiality.

maybe an SI researcher could confirm?

Haven't seen it in FM13 yet due to not having played a lot.

On FM12 I did however move clubs and saw that the new club did have to pay parts of the salary of an ex-player due to an agreement concluded after the start of the save.

I also managed to sign a player and the news item of his confirmation said that his former club agreed to continue paying parts of his wages :)

Archived