Is there a possible Morale bug in FM13.. Open to Debate

As the Moderator Kriss suggested within my Bugs forum thread..I have now posted my question here!

Is there a morale bug within FM 13. I am asking because the morale seems too fickle... One minute it is good or above but if you lose or draw just a few games the morale plummits too easily and is much harder to recover.?

Also it seems like FM 13 relies too much on the morale stat

What do other members think?

It's really hard to say because moral is such a subjective concept really.

I mean we don't even know exactly which areas it influences in which way we can only guess here.

Of course it seems that if the team has bad moral it's much harder to get good results but does it extend beyond that to things like squad harmony and training?

Towards how important moral or generally the psychological effect in sports is I can only say that I believe it to be probably the single most important thing in sports.

How often have we seen teams that have on paper good players seem to fall into somewhat of a downward spiral where everything seemed to work against them and they couldn't get through a game without some major mistakes being done by once reliable and well proven players.

On the other hand we almost see every season one or two teams that play way above their standards and seem to glide along on a high of self confidence.

Football like any other sport is a lot about confidence in your own abilities and those of your team mates and if confidence is tied into the moral attribute it should very well play a very important role.

In my experience, it is working better than ever. I was Luton and and one stage I went on a 8 or 9 game run without defeat and the morale was generally 'very good' when I lost my unbeaten run, the morale dropped quickly, but in the days leading up to the game in continued to improve and by the next match was good/very good.

Similarly, I tried a game as Truro, and had about 4 points from the first 10 or 11 games, morale was through the floor, but 7 points from 3 games saw morale improve quickly, but it didn't go through the roof like it would have done on other versions.

My experience is that morale is working better.

I remember this being brought up at length on this forum around the time an update was brought out on FM12 that significantly dropped morale, and quite an interesting debate went on about what each level of morale actually represented (ie - how good is good, very good etc).

I thought the balance was a bit off last year but haven't noticed any significant problems this version.

• Administrators

Yeah personally (and this is with my 'home' game hat on rather than my SI hat), I think morale seems okay, I've not noticed it drop heavily unwarranted nor unrealistically had every player superb when we've been performing mediocre.

Bare in mind it's also very dependent on your reputation.

Morale is going to be hard to keep steady and high if you are a sunday league footballer running a premiership club for instance...

I usually go auto for my experience at the start and haven't found it too bad. I do think it has a large role to play in a football team so I have no problem with it really.

Bare in mind it's also very dependent on your reputation.

Morale is going to be hard to keep steady and high if you are a sunday league footballer running a premiership club for instance...

What I do like is that this year it seems easier to spot a problem player... for instance, I'm playing as Leeds and one of our best players (and incidentally, was our captain) is Jason Pearce. The issue so far is that he is always seemingly low on morale and disinterested in matches whatever I do. So I've had to drop our best defender and everything seems to have picked up, I'm reluctantly going to have to sell him as he isn't going to fit in anymore.

In previous games, I've always just gone for the best players I can and it's worked out fine. I like that I can't do that anymore with the more complex morale system etc.

Moral is much better than last year, performances and results seem to make more of a difference, last year it was too easy to get your team on full moral and just blast through teams indefinately, this year even one bad result can knock you off your stride, which is as it should be.

Yeah personally (and this is with my 'home' game hat on rather than my SI hat), I think morale seems okay, I've not noticed it drop heavily unwarranted nor unrealistically had every player superb when we've been performing mediocre.

What you mean you actually get time to play the game??!!! :p

Archived