New pc...decision

I think my other thread was deleted so was after some advice.

How would these pcs stand up to fm, minecraft, general use and Internet.

http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/computing/desktop-pcs/gaming-pcs---amd/falcon-gaming-rig-1---amd-fx4100-quad-core-8g-ddr3-1tb-hdd-ati-hd7750-windows-7-or-8-choice.html

http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/computing/desktop-pcs/gaming-pcs---amd/falcon-amd-fx4100-quad-core-pc-4gb-ddr3-500gb-hdd-2gb-ati-6570-3d-gfx-windows-7-or-8-choice.html

And also seen one,

AMD FX4100 3.6ghz quad core CPU

4gb ddr3

500gb sata hd

4gb nvidia GT630 gfx card

Asrock n68-vs3

700 watt alpine atx psu

Overpriced and cheap parts tbh fella.. the AMD FX's aren't up to scratch really.. ignore the high clock speed claim.. they aren't worth it imo. Stick with Intel.

Just as an example:

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Shadow.html

Processor is close to perfection, decent enough graphics card and plenty of space, for what you are doing with the pc you don't need any extra RAM, but you could always add another 4gb if you wanted pretty cheaply.

Just to see the difference in cpu's.. here's a passmark benchmark :

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4100+Quad-Core.

It's highlighted the amd... now do a control+f search for 2500k and see how far up the chart it is ....

Stick with what welshace says.

That spec you quoted made me laugh - why on earth do they put a subpar 700W PSU in a prebuilt that barely requires 230W? Some places shouldn't be allowed to sell computers.

Because the average person is blinded by numbers and a 700w looks much better then 450w.

I have just ordered all the parts for my new build. Cost me about £800 for the tower, but I know exactly what is going in it, and more importantly will save me about £300 building it myself.

The only issue I have with the one Welshace has posted is, it states it is overclocked to 4.6ghz, but it doesn't say if it's got an aftermarket CPU cooler. There is no way I'd be wanting to run it like that with the stock cooler for too long. I know sandybridges don't get as hot as the Ivy's, but still.

It must have an aftermarket cooler. I don't think it's possible to get the processor anywhere near that without one.

That being said, overclocking an i5 is a bit pointless at this point in time. You're basically just wearing out the lifespan for very minute gains in most games.

It comes standard with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

But you can customise is as you wish.

For £17, you can get a Akasa Nero 3 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler , which is ok.

And yeah, I can see what you are saying about the overclock, but the 2500k is probably one of the most stable overclocks around and it makes such a difference, it's more than worth it imo, but obviously the OP can swap down to a non overclocked version if he wants to.

It's all in the customisation menu.

I think the one that welshace posted is a great start. The rev 2 cooler that the CPU comes with is great - I have it on my current i7 and it does keep it cool.

All I'd do with that set-up is increase the speed and size of the RAM if possible. Leave the rest as is.

Nah, seriously. Something like he knew the people who worked there and they are spot on and will sort you out.

Pff that's a joke if true. If they're selling specs like that they're price gouging, basically. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Cheap 700W PSU for a crappy CPU and a 630 ffs :D

RAM speed makes absolutely zero real world difference past 1333Mhz, there's no point increasing it.

Can't recommend Chillblast enough. Their helpline will happily give you honest advice on the performance of your build. Personally I'd concentrate on a good processor like an i5 Ivybridge, a good motherboard, minimum of 8gb RAM and a good power supply in a good case. You'll then have PC that you can upgrade over the coming years. Oh and avoid Windows 8 unless you've got a touch screen.

Don't even think about buying a PC from well known stores, unless you want something overpriced that will last you 18 months max.

Don't avoid Windows 8 for that ridiculous reason above, performance on games is better than Win 7. If you absolutely can't abide by the start screen, install a start menu replacement. It's fantastic value, it has DX 11.1 which is exclusive to Win 8 and it gets more out of your hardware than Win 7 does.

in fair ness to chillblast and the other pc building sites .. they are no longer cheaper .. you can buy a very good pc from dell .. .. iv done all the checks and you really are not safeing yourself much if anything at all by building a pc on them sites

in fair ness to chillblast and the other pc building sites .. they are no longer cheaper .. you can buy a very good pc from dell .. .. iv done all the checks and you really are not safeing yourself much if anything at all by building a pc on them sites

This is not at all true, and for several reasons.

1) Dell use cheap components - HDDs, SSDs, PSUs, Motherboards, Cases.

2) You get individual part warranty when you buy the bits yourself. Many of these warranties are two years or longer.

3) Dell's customisation is ridiculously limited.

This is not at all true, and for several reasons.

1) Dell use cheap components - HDDs, SSDs, PSUs, Motherboards, Cases.

2) You get individual part warranty when you buy the bits yourself. Many of these warranties are two years or longer.

3) Dell's customisation is ridiculously limited.

again faules claims ..

do you really think that the biggest pc supplier in the world just uses cheap rubbish ...

back up my claim

Market share of leading PC vendors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share_of_leading_PC_vendors

here is a test for anyone to try out ..

build this with the same spec cheaper

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00x8504&model_id=xps-8500&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Lets go through the problems with that PC, shall we?

No accidental damage cover.

1 year warranty.

Cheap components.

Poor graphics card.

Power saving processor (handicapped i5 ivy, in other words)

4GB of unbranded memory

Crap PSU

and so on. Try reading a post next time.

again faules claims ..

do you really think that the biggest pc supplier in the world just uses cheap rubbish ...

back up my claim

Market share of leading PC vendors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share_of_leading_PC_vendors

Who cares if they're the leading vendor?

They use the cheapest components they can get their hands on. They want to make money. Just google their components for yourself if you want. They use sub-standard, low-watted PSUs that have to be replaced as soon as you want to install a proper GPU - but then the next problem is that their often affixed to the inside of the case and they sometimes use their own PSU form-factor.

Lets go through the problems with that PC, shall we?

No accidental damage cover.

1 year warranty.

Cheap components.

Poor graphics card.

Power saving processor (handicapped i5 ivy, in other words)

4GB of unbranded memory

Crap PSU

and so on. Try reading a post next time.

If i sed clueless .. maybe i am being harsh ..

but do you really think that dell would risk the hole business for sale with cheap rubbish in there pc ..

its all about are built for speed and stability

Again, perhaps you should look around and research the parts they use yourself.

Also, here;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£134.10 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£72.41 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.41 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.78 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card (£88.00 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Lian-Li LanCool PC-K57 ATX Mid Tower Case (£53.09 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£55.82 @ Scan.co.uk)

Total: £506.61

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-13 18:53 GMT+0000)

Better GPU, better processer. Get Windows 8 for £30 and it blows that crappy Dell spec out of the water.

Again, perhaps you should look around and research the parts they use yourself.

Also, here;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£134.10 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£72.41 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.41 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.78 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card (£88.00 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Lian-Li LanCool PC-K57 ATX Mid Tower Case (£53.09 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£55.82 @ Scan.co.uk)

Total: £506.61

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-13 18:53 GMT+0000)

Better GPU, better processer. Get Windows 8 for £30 and it blows that crappy Dell spec out of the water.

you have proved my point ...

you have not inclueded

Dell Laser Mouse USB (6 buttons scroll) Black

Dell KB213 USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Iris

Windows 8 64bit, English

16x DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n

so your £506.61

will add up to over £600 by the time your finnish

and dell are selling it at £529.00 build for you

so you have to build this your self .. with out any leads i might also add

Plus you have a worse i5

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3350P processor 6M Cache, up to 3.3 dell

yours

Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Well, I don't have to reply after that. You have no idea what you're talking about :D

Dont ... Cant

My point was all along is that you dont safe your self much if anything at all by building it yourself ... apart from knowing what is in your pc ..

Rest my case little buddie

You know the CPU I included in that build I put together is more expensive than the one in the Dell build, right?

I'm giving you too much credit, I think.

Do you know that the value of self-building scales exponentially? Perhaps you do, which is why you picked a pretty budget Dell model.

You do, of course, realise that the individual parts all have longer warranty than the entire Dell PC?

That the components are of better quality? (probably not as the difference in CPUs confused you utterly).

Archived