Director of football.

Hi, I've just ordered the game and it should be here in the next few days. Meanwhile, I'm messing with the demo just to get the hang of the new changes and layout. I didn't get FM12 because of steam problems so theres quite a few changes to get used to.

One change I cant seem to get my head around is Director of football.

Can you guys tell me your experiences of them so far please? Are they helpful and if so, in what ways?

Do they interfere with your game in any negative ways?

Are they worth using at all?

Any info/tips would be welcome but if this has been discussed at anu length previously. could you please link me to the thread? I couldn't find one in the search.

Thnx

Mine has been useful for finding clubs for unwanted players and loaning out youngsters but on the purchasing side he's been poor.

He bids asking price for each target then withdraws from the process. Sometimes I then wade in with an offer and finalise the deal.

The players he chooses himself seem to be pretty rubbish but that could be due to his stats.

I have just employed one but I can't give you too much of an insight, I got one to deal with players who after a year of negotiations (rejected work permits) suddenly wouldn't talk to me.

Turned out they wouldn't talk to him either so that was a pain, especially when they signed for someone else.

He did try and negotiate but it was rejected straight away.

Has anyone experienced a DoF who failed to negotiate a contract with a player after agreeing terms of transfer with his club?

Or has anyone seen them give dumb contracts to players that you could have negotiated better?

I'm just wondering if contract talks might be safer to handle ourselves, especially if a player has several contract offers on the table. then at least we would be able to offer better contracts than asked for to secure the players signature.

I think I can negotiation a contract for better wage than my DoF mainly because I know what wages I want and he doesn't. But the DoF does make smart decisions on offering rotation players lower salary and higher appearance fees... which doesn't work for me because if the rotation player is a younger player with loads of potential I tend to play him a lot.

DoF is really helpful in getting rid of deadwood. I set everyone on my reserve team with 2.5 stars or lower potential to not needed > sell at any value and he will take care of it all for me.

I am finding the DoF feature a useful addition but one thing I would like to be able to do is to instruct him to search for players to fill a particular position and also to instruct him not to make offers for certain positions. I play a tactic which does not use ML, MR or any AMs so he keeps seeing this as a weakness in the squad (since I get rid of any players who only play in those positions) and making offers which I constantly cancel.

I see people have DOF's that make bids for player that are not on your target list ?

I have set ' search and make offers for first team and younger player' box checked and put this responsability to DOF .

The responsability to finalise incoming transfers stays for me...

I'm still in my first season , but didn't saw my DOF making any offer for non target list players..

Is this normal ?

Archived