Philosophy and Strategy

Hi all. My formation has de-evolved back to the good ole 4-4-2 from the 4-5-1. A big problem that I am having at the moment is with the strategy coupled with the philosophy. Now when it comes to strategy, I am pretty good when I have a Panzer or a 25 Pounder. Now pounding the hell out of an enemy position is pretty one dimensional, with FM it is not. Thus I am conceding a lot of goals but scoring enough to compensate. As such I have reached an impasse with what I understand. I guess it comes from having defenders outlook.

My general tactics revolve around having my philosophy on balanced and the strategy on control. I also favor my players to stick to position and rely on a playmaker with creative freedom. However, when it comes to roaming, I am not sure if the above actually works. I am assuming that there is a contradiction between the playmaker s freedom and positional orders, and also with the philosophy. Again I am assuming that the formation would have to be rigid to employ stick to position and control effectively. It looks like that my playmaker leaves a hole in midfield and the full backs move up due to the balanced philosophy. Thus the space behind is being exploited? Am I on the ball here with this anybody or completely wrong? Thanks.

I have trouble too with my AMC - but some players you want to follow strict orders like a DM and CDs and others like AMC ,depending on their mental attributes, can be more fluid - then its up to themselves to decide what to do in the situations. Mata has epic dribbling skills so he can work in close space too, but when I sub Oscar I need to change some of his indivual orders everytime as he kinda is a different type - the role system is kinda neat but it could be better imo. Havent found out just yet to get the best out of Mata but its a work in progress and maybe some of it is ME related too.

Yeah maybe so. Going to try to see if I can get the team to work with more fluidity. One of the aspects of a players position is the favoured roles or at least, the best roles. the ME does not seem to reflect very much in regards to how they are doing. Yeah, you can look at the game avarage, but perhaps the system could be updated to include a different avarage stat for say DLP and BWM. For me that would make somewhat easier to gauge a players favourite position over tactical performance.

The role system is fine in some part and I agree some stats for different roles are some kind of weird or not updated good enough imo.

Example: I played Falcao, which by all my different staffs(important to use the best staff to judge!) was said to be a Poacher , he scored some goals but didnt perfom very well, so I took it into my own matter and looked at some full matches. He had a that time 13 dribbling, 14 pace and 13/14 acceleration; so the preset poacher strategy didnt work for him at all and def not with my tactics!! I changed him myself to be more fluid, more movement and less dribbling and what a difference!! Not only came he into way better positions and made 56 goals that following season, but he also became a very important assist king and made space for my other players to explore.

The role does not always mean play him like that - it depends on your tactic and the stats they have. A poacher with 13 dribbling shall not dribble often - so its mix of tactics and your knowledge to get the best out of ppl.

The case with Mata is more frustrating for me atm - he gets often a medium score 7.0 but when I watch he plays like crap :)

Ah, so you pay more attention to the player instructions and sliders then. That is probably where I should closer attention. I did adjust Mirallas to stay out wider as he seemed to come in field too often and try 30 -35 yard shots all the time. Aside from Osman on the left and Jelavic, the rest of the team was left on default. I suppose it is all of them or none when it comes to player instructions. I will try a full match tonight and do some math me thinks :)

Archived