First FM Game I have played. Win first games, suddenly lose the rest??

This is the first FM game I have played, (and my first post on this forum :cool: ) enjoying it a lot so far, but I keep having the same issue and I have deleted my saved games and started them again about 4 times now trying to work out why it happens. I start off unemployed (I like to start at the bottom and work my way up, and this is Classic mode by the way) and create a tactic with either help from looking at other people's tactics or downloading them. I will mostly win or draw perhaps the first 15-20 games, maybe more, but then for no reason whatsoever that I can figure out I suddenly start to lose EVERY single game after that. I will be first - third in the league and drop straight to the lower half. I sign transfers, try different tactics, everything, and currently the only team I can win is the team at the bottom of the league when at the start of the season I would destroy the team in 2nd when I was 1st.

At the moment I am using the 4-4-3 tactic with Brechin. I began the season with but have tried both 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 formations without any luck. I have a poacher upfront, two attacking inside forwards, two centre midfielders with an advanced playmaker in the middle, two fullbacks and a central defender. Passing goes down the wings, fluid style, attacking strategy to start off with which was how I won at home games or counter for away games seemed to work. Short passing style and they press more on the opposition. The last few times I began I left past playing experience on automatic, but I guess it's the difficultly level so I put it on sunday league this time.

The boards confidence starts off well, they are happy and I manage to get past the expectations in other cups, then obviously they start to say 'the board think you should be doing better' as I start to lose.

Well basically possession isn't a major issue, it's mainly passing, the team seems to either pass to the other side a lot or when a player has a ball there might be a bunch of others in a far better position than the player he decides to pass to. Defending is just god awful the opposition seem to just find huge spaces. The whole team look like a bunch of ******** really, I don't know if this is the game itself but sometimes they run away from the ball like they are magnetically repelled from it or just when noone has it they either run past it or over it. None of the players have a rating of above 7 at the end of a match. Morale is pretty much abysmal for all players.

In goal I signed a Canadian, Daniel Paton-Cavanagh. Full backs: Cameron Kerr and Johnny Brown on automatic duty. Central Defenders are Paul Mclean and Gerry Mchlaughlan on defensive duty. Midfielders: Johnny Stewart - Centre Midfield on defensive, Craig Malloy - advanced playmaker on attacking, Garry Brady centre midfield on support. AMR: Alan Troutan - inside forward on attacking, AML: Liam Gormley - inside forward on attacking, and upfront Andy Jackson, poacher on attacking.

Just got relegated before typing this :o

Hope you guys can help haha!

I believe it is the match engine regardless of your tactics they will play like that.

Hopefully patch will fix.

jamez you have been told how to fix things for your team already and refused to listen - a patch will not fix your issues, learning to listen will

The match engine is flawed Twiglet! As much as people say its the tactics, its not. Its FUBAR!

Don't expect anything to change until an update comes out. Unfortuneately the first FM you have purchased is the most glitchy and flawed ever at release.

You either didn't play FM10 & 11 or have an amazingly short memory!!!

Anyhoos - to the OP. Any chance you can post screenshots? I can spot one problem immediately (lone striker poacher is always a no-no) but it'd be easier with imagery :)

Not true at all. every FM I have played it has worked to an outstanding level if the poacher is quick and then you have a few playmakers behind.

Because every FM you've played in the past was vulnerable to brute force tactics that promoted tactics that plowed the ball over and over again into the same attack.

It doesn't work on FM13. If you play a lone poacher, the ball won't stick up top and you won't bring midfielders in support. You may get joy from long balls over the top if the defenders are rubbish, or from drilled crosses from wide positions behind the line of defence, but for the most your striker will be isolated and barely involved in play.

So you are expecting me to play a player such as Theo Walcott as a deep lying forward on support duty even though it would negate his most promising attribute, his pace?

No. I'd play him as an Advanced Forward on Attack as part of a three man attack, an Inside Forward - Attack if used in the AMR role, or an Advanced Forward - Attack/Poacher - Attack alongside a support striker in a front two.

Like in real life, as mad as that sounds.

But according to the game the roles are there to match peoples attributes so Walcotts' best roles are poacher if upfront and Winger as an AMR.

Why in the world would you ignore those facts as it will get the best out of your players. Walcott isn't inside forward in real life either......

Walcott has average composure and finishing in real life, and in FM. You would never in your right mind select him as a poacher. Think Hernandez, Owen, or Fowler in recent terms - those guys are on the shoulder of the last defender, pacey and clinical. Poachers.

In reality, Walcott is a pretty average player, so Inside Forward suits him in the sense that he hasn't nailed down a role (in real life, he wants to be a striker, but isn't good enough, he could be a winger, but is similar to Wright-Phillips and Lennon in the sense he has pace but generally no end product) but has attributes which lend themselves to a second fiddle type of role.

Walcott has average composure and finishing in real life, and in FM. You would never in your right mind select him as a poacher. Think Hernandez, Owen, or Fowler in recent terms - those guys are on the shoulder of the last defender, pacey and clinical. Poachers.

In reality, Walcott is a pretty average player, so Inside Forward suits him in the sense that he hasn't nailed down a role (in real life, he wants to be a striker, but isn't good enough, he could be a winger, but is similar to Wright-Phillips and Lennon in the sense he has pace but generally no end product) but has attributes which lend themselves to a second fiddle type of role.

You could if you were desperate and playing as a side who plays deep and hits on the counter - but as I'd never play Walcott anywhere other than AMR/AML it's a non-discussion anyway. :)

And inside forward cuts in from the wing and has a high long shot percentage, when does Walcott ever take long shots. He is always on the shoulder of the last defender and then streams down on goal. His finishing for me is actually so underrated on football games. In my eyes he is one of the best finishers in the Premier League.

Todays game for example the amount of times he hugged the touchline line a football manager winger and crossed the ball aiming for Giroud was quite often.

Thats a fact.

And inside forward cuts in from the wing and has a high long shot percentage, when does Walcott ever take long shots. He is always on the shoulder of the last defender and then streams down on goal. His finishing for me is actually so underrated on football games. In my eyes he is one of the best finishers in the Premier League.

Todays game for example the amount of times he hugged the touchline line a football manager winger and crossed the ball aiming for Giroud was quite often.

Thats a fact.

The last few times I began I left past playing experience on automatic, but I guess it's the difficultly level so I put it on sunday league this time.

This setting is your past playing experience, so picking Sunday League actually makes it harder. Your players will listen to you more and you'll have an easier time getting better jobs if you pick something higher like International Player.

I've deleted the crap out of the thread. If you think the game is unplayable fair enough but go elsewhere and moan about it maybe the feedback thread in General. Remember to be constructive though. But either way this forum is not the place for such posts and will be deleted.

The link here has got a great idea (in my view) for Walcott, IF-Att on the LEFT! I don't know why this hasn't happened more in RL, was it last year or the year before they played (I think) Udinese to get to the CL? Whoever it was, Walcott subbed on on the left, picked up the ball deepish and wide, ran at defenders, cut inside and applied a cracking finish to (I think) win them the game and qualification. Absolute classic IF play. Again, I don't know why this hasn't happened.

Double up with getting Santos or Gibbs to really attack the wide left flank and the defender has a horrible decision to make - show Walcott the outside but risk the DL taking it instead or let Walcott possibly get past on the inside and have a run at the DCL or straight to goal. If the defending midfielder on that side didn't track the DL very well this would be a horrible game for the opposing DR.

Although I've been using him through the middle the same as a lot of people and he does great on FM this year.

Archived